Application of High-Energy Laser coupled with Gamma – Lonizing Irradiations as New Sterilizing Technique
Languages of publication
The present investigations introduce for first time new trend of coupling of two sterilizing sources, high energy Nd-Laser and Gamma – irradiations which has oxidative nature by additional to its thermal effects. The investigated samples will be examined before and after radiations to confirm its internal structure (XRD, microstructure (SEM, AFM, Raman-Spectra) and killing ratio for polluted bacteria. Furthermore some selected biological tests will be checked to be sure from toxicity ratio after radiations. Also many of investigational parameters will be tested such as strength of irradiation dose and irradiation dosage time to achieve maximum healthy sterilizing ratio per minimum time to validate application and wide scale application of this promising sterilizing technique.
-  Ká tia Aparecida da Silva Aquino. Sterilization by Gamma Irradiation, Gamma Radiation, Prof. Feriz Adrovic (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-0316-5, InTech, Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/gammaradiation/sterilization-by-gamma-irradiation. (2012).
-  Action biologique et chimique des rayonnements ionisants (ABCRI). B. Tilquin (Ed.), 115 pp. Paris, France (2001).
-  Al-Kahtani, H. A. Abu-Tarboush, M. H. Bajaber, A. S. Atia, M. Abou-Arab, A. A.& El-Mojaddidi, M. A. Chemical changes after irradiation and post-irradiation, storage in Tilapia and Spanish mackerel. Journal of Food Science, 61 (1996) 729-733.
-  Alariqi, S.A.S. Pratheep, A. K. Rao, B. S. M. & Singh, R. P., Biodegradation of Gamma-sterilised biomedical polyolefins under composting and fungal culture environments. Polymer Degradation Stability, 91, 6, (2006) pp. 1105–1116.
-  American Society for Testing and Materials. Standard Guide for Selection and
- Calibration of Dosimetry Systems for Radiation Processing, ISO/ASTM 51261,Annual Book of ASTM Standards, ASTM, p.p 970–988, USA, New York, (2006).
-  Freitag, D. Grigo, U. Mueller, P. Polycarbonates. In: Encyclopedia of Polymer Science and Engineering, Vol. 11, 2nd ed, 648-718, New York, Wiley (1988).
-  Aquino, K. A. S. & Araujo, E. S. ,Effects of a Hindered Amine Stabilizer (HAS) on Radiolytic and Thermal Stability of Poly(methyl methacrylate). Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 110, 1, (2008). pp. 401-401.
-  Aquino, K. A. S. Araujo, E. S & Guedes, S. M. Influence of a Hindered Amine Stabilizer on optical and mechanical properties of poly (methyl methacrylate) exposed to gamma irradiation. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 116, 2, (2010). pp.748-753.
-  Araujo, E. S. Khoury, H. J. & Silveira, S. V. Effects of gamma-irradiation on some properties ofdurolon polycarbonate. Radiation Physics and Chemistry, 53 (1998)79-84.
-  Armstrong, S. G. Wyllie, S. G. & Leach, D. N. Effects of preservation by gamma irradiation on the nutritional quality of Australian fish. Food Chemistry, 50 (1994) pp. 351-357.
-  Baccaro, S. Brunella, V. Cecيlia, A. & Costa, L. ,Gamma- irradiation of poly(vinyl choride) for medical applications. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, 208 (2003) pp. 195-198.
-   Brewer, M. S. Irradiation effects on meat flavor: A review. Meat Science, 81, 1, (2009). pp. 1-14.
-   Billen, D. The role of hydroxyl radical scavengers in preventing DNA strand breaks induced by X irradiation of toluene treated E. coli., Radiation Research, 97, (1984) 626-629.
-  Borrely, S. I. Cruz, A. C. Del Mastro, N. L. Sampa, M. H. O. & Somessari, E. S. Radiation processing of sewage and sudge. A review. Progress in Nuclear Energy, 33, (1998) pp. 3-21.
-  Broomfield, S. Hryciw, T. & Xiao, W.. DNA postreplication repair and mutagenesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mutation Research, 486, (2001) pp. 167-184.
-   Cadet, J. Douki, T. Gasparutto, D. Gromova, M , Pouger, J. P. Ravanat, J. L. Romieu, A. &Sauvaigo S. Radiation-induced damage to DNA: mechanistic aspects and measurement of base lesions. Nuclear Instruments and Methods. in Physics Research section B, 151, (1999) pp. 1-7.
-  Campbell, D.G. & Li P. Sterilization of HIV with irradiation: relevance to HIV infected bone allografts. NZ Journal of Surgery, 69, (1999) pp. 517-521.
-  Coates, M. E. Ford, J. E. Gregory, M. E & Thompson, S.Y. Effects of gamma-irradiation on the vitamin content of diets for laboratory animals. Laboratory (1969).
-  Crucq A. S. Slegers C. Deridder V. & Tilquin B., Radiosensitivity study of cefazolin sodium. Talanta, 52, (2000) 873-877.
-  Daar, E. S. Moudgil, Meyer, R. D.& Ho, D. D., Transient levels of viremia in patients in primary human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection. New England Journal of Medicine. 324, (1991) 961-964.
-  Daly M. J. Gaidamakova, E. K. Matrosova, V.Y. Vasilenko, A. Zhai, M. Leapman, R. D. Lai, B. Ravel, B. S.W., Kemner, K. M. & Fredrickson J.K. Protein oxidation implicated as the primary determinant of bacterial radioresistance. PLOS Biology, 5, (2007) 769-779.
-  Diehl, J.H., Combined effects of irradiation, storage, and cooking on the vitamin Eand B1 levels of foods. Food Irradiation, 10 (1967) 2-7.
-  Farkas, J. & Farkas C. M. (2011). History and future of food irradiation, Trends Food Science &Technology, 22, 2-3, pp. 121-126.
-  Fox, J. B. J. Lakritz, L. & Thayer, D. W. Thiamin, riboflavin and γ -tocopherol retention in processed and stored irradiated pork. Journal of Food Science, 62, 5, (1997) 1022-1025.
-  Fox, J. B. J. Lakritz, L. Hampson, J. Richardson, F. Ward, K & Thayer, D. W.Gamma irradiation effects on thiamin and riboflavin in beef, lamb, pork, and turkey. Journal of Food Science, 60, 3, (1995) 596-598.
-  Geis, P. A. & Szaniszlo, P. J.. Carotenoid pigments of the dermatiaceous fungus Wangiella dermatitidis. Mycologia, 76, (1984) 268-273.
-  Goldman, M. Gronsky, R. & Pruitt, L. The influence of sterilization technique and ageing on the structure and morphology of medical-grade ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene. Journal of Materials in Medicine, 9, (1998) 207- 212.
-  Gonzalez, M E. & Docters, A. S. Evaluation of stability of polymeric insulation materials in radiation fields and development of radiation stable PVC and polypropylene for medical devices, In: Stability and stabilization of polymers under irradiation, IAEA tecdoc- 1062 (Ed), 97-110, Vienna, Austria (1999).
-  Guillet, J. Polymer photophysics and photochemistry, Cambridge University Press, New York, USA,(1985).
-  Grecz, N. Snyder, O. P. Walker A. A. & Anellis A. Effect of temperature of liquid nitrogen on radiation resistance of spores of Clostridium botulinum. Applied Microbiology, 13, (1965) 527–536.
-  Greez, N. Rowley, D.B. & MATSUYAMA, A. The action of radiation on bacteria and viruses, In: Preservation of Food by Ionizing Radiation, Vol. 2, Josepson, E. S. &Peterson, M. S. (Eds), 167, CRS Press, Boca Raton FL, USA Grieb, T. A. Forng, R. Y. Stafford, R. E., Lin, J. Almeida, J. Bogdansky, S. Ronholdt, C. Drohan, W. N. & Burgess, W. H. (2005). Effective use of optimized, high dose (50kGy) gamma irradiation for pathogen inactivation of human bone allographs. Biomaterials, 26, (1983) 2033-2042.
-  Hafez, Y. S. Mohamed, A. I. Singh, G. & Hewedy, F. M. Effects of gamma irradiaton on proteins and fatty acids of soybean. Journal of food science, Vol. 50, (1985). pp. 1271- 1274; Haghparast, S. Kashiri, H. Shabanpour, B. & Pahlavani, M. H. Antioxidantproperties of sodium acetate, sodium citrate and sodium lactate on lipid oxidationin rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) sticks during refrigerated storage (4°C). Iranian Journal of Fisheries Sciences, 9, (2010). pp. 73-86.
-  Hansen M.T. Multiplicity of genome equivalents in the radiation-resistant bacterium Micrococcus radiodurans. J. of Bacteriology, 134, (1978) pp. 71-75.
-  Hau, L. B. & Liew, M. S. Effects of gamma irradiation and cooking on vitamin B6 and B12 in grass prawns (Penaeus monodon). Radiation Physics and Chemistry, 42, (1993) 297-300.
-  Helfinstine S. L. Vargas-Aburto C. Uribe R.M. & Woolverton C. J. Inactivation of Bacillus endospores in envelopes by electron beam irradiation. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 71, (2005) 7029-7032.
-  Hernigou, P. Gras, G. Marinello, G. & Dormont, D. Influence of irradiation on the risk of transmission of HIV in bone grafts obtained from appropriately screened donors and followed by radiation sterilization, Cell Tissue Bank, 1 4, (2000) 279-289.
-  Hiemstra, H. Tersmette, M. Vos, A. H. V. Over, J. Van Berkel, M. P. & Bree, H. Inactivation of HIV by gamma radiation and its effect on plasma and coagulationfactors, Transfusion, 31, 1, (1991) 32-39.
-  International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). International standards for tissue banks, AEA, Vienna, Austria (2004).
-  International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). Radiation for a clean environment, Proceedings of International Symposium on the use of high-level radiation in wastetreatment, Munich, Germany, March 17-21, (1975).
-  International Organization for Standardization. Sterilization of healthcare products - Requirements for validation and routine control - Radiation sterilization, ISO 11137, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland, (2006).
-  International Organization for Standardization. Sterilization of Health Care Products — Radiation — Part 1: Requirements for the Development, Validation and Routine Control of a Sterilization Process for Medical Products, ISO 11137-1, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland, (2006).
-  International Organization for Standardization. Sterilization of Health Care Products — Radiation — Part 2: Establishing the Sterilization Dose, ISO 11137-2, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland, (2006).
-  International Organization for Standardization. Sterilization of Health Care Products — Radiation — Part 3: Guidance on Dosimetric Aspects, ISO 11137-3, ISO, Geneva, Switzerland(2006).
-  International Organization for Standardization. Sterilization of Medical Devices –General Requirements for Characterization of a Sterilizing Agent and the Development, Validation and Routine Control of a Sterilization Process for Medical Devices, ISO-14937(E), ISO, Geneva, Switzerland,(2000).
-  Kaplan, I. Nuclear Physics. Addison-Wesley Pub. Co., Boston, USA Katta, S. R. Rao, D. R. Sunki, G. R. & Chawan, C. B. (1991). Effects of gamma irradiation of whole chicken carcasses on bacterial loads and fatty acids. Journal of food science, 56, (1955) pp. 371-372.
Publication order reference