Evidence-Based Production Technologies for Improving Potato (Solanum tuberosum) Yields
Languages of publication
Potato is one of the most important food crops with a capacity to abate hunger among farmers in the region. However, its productivity has stagnated and remained low due to poor agronomic practices applied by smallholder farmers. To avert this situation, dissemination through training of already existing better technologies and practices should be prioritized. A lot of research has been done with better recommendations- use of disease-free tuber seeds from high yielding and tolerant varieties, adequate application of balanced nutrients, timely scouting and integrated management of pests and diseases and good harvesting practices are available for immediate adoption. The adoption and dissemination could be facilitated by currently existing policies that promote cross-border movement and diffusion of research technologies and new varieties.
-  Adhikari, R. C. (2009). Effect of NPK on vegetative growth and yield of Desiree and Kufri Sindhuri potato. Nepal Agriculture Research Journal, 9, 67-75.
-  Ahmadvand, G., Mondani, F., & Golzardi, F. (2009). Effect of crop plant density on critical period of weed competition in potato. Scientia Horticulturae, 121(3), 249-254.
-  Al-Dalain SA (2009). Effect of intercropping of Zea mays with potato Solanum tuberosum, L. on potato growth and on the productivity and land equivalent ratio of potato and Zea mays. Agric. J. 4(3): 164-170.
-  Allison, M. F., Fowler, J. H., & Allen, E. J. (2001). Responses of potato (Solanum tuberosum) to potassium fertilizers. The Journal of Agricultural Science, 136(4), 407-426.
-  Almekinders, C. J. M., Chujoy, E., & Thiele, G. (2009). The use of true potato seed as pro-poor technology: the efforts of an international agricultural research institute to innovating potato production. Potato Research, 52(4), 275-293.
-  Anuj, B. (2009). Efficacy and economics of insecticides and bio-pesticides against thrips on potato. Annals of Plant Protection Sciences, 17(2), 501-503.
-  Barry, P., Clancy, P. C., & Molloy, M. (2001). The effect of seed size and planting depth on the yield of seed potatoes grown from minitubers. Irish journal of agricultural and food research, 71-81.
-  Begum A.A., M.S.U.Bhuiya, S.M.A. Hossain, Amina Khatun, S.K. Das and M.Y. Sarker (2016). SYSTEM PRODUCTIVITY OF POTATO + MAIZE INTERCROPPING AS AFFECTED BY SOWING DATE. Bangladesh Agron. J. 2016, 19(2): 11-20.
-  Binyam, T. (2015). A review paper on Potato virus Y (PVY) biology, economic importance and its managements. Journal of Biology. Agriculture and Healthcare, 5(9), 110-126.
-  Bonabana-Wabbi, J., Mugonola, B., Ajibo, S., Kirinya, J., Kato, E., Kalibwani, R. & Mugabo, J. (2013). Agricultural profitability and technical efficiency: the case of pineapple and potato in SW Uganda. African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 8(311-2016-5589), 145.
-  Bussan AJ., Mitchell PD, Copas ME, Drilias MJ (2007). Evalution of the effect of density on potato yield and tuber size distribution. Crop Science 47: 2462-2472.
-  Campo, A.R.O., Zambolim L, and Costa, L.C. (2007). Potato early blight epidemics and comparison of methods to determine its initial symptoms in a potato field. Rev. Fac. Nal. Agr. Medellin. 60-2: 3877-3890
-  Campos, E. V., de Oliveira, J. L., Pascoli, M., de Lima, R., & Fraceto, L. F. (2016). Neem oil and crop protection: from now to the future. Frontiers in plant science, 7, 1494.
-  Castillo, J. D., Lawrence, K. S., & Kloepper, J. W. (2013). Biocontrol of the reniform nematode by Bacillus firmus GB-126 and Paecilomyces lilacinus 251 on cotton. Plant Disease, 97(7), 967-976.
-  Chujoy E, Cabello R, (2007). The canon of potato science: true potato seed (TPS). Potato Research 50, 323–5.
-  Clough, G. H., Rondon, S. I., DeBano, S. J., David, N., & Hamm, P. B. (2010). Reducing tuber damage by potato tuberworm (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) with cultural practices and insecticides. Journal of economic entomology, 103(4), 1306-1311.
-  Conn, K. L., & Lazarovits, G. (1999). Impact of animal manures on verticillium wilt, potato scab, and soil microbial populations. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology, 21(1), 81-92.
-  Craighead, M. D., & Martin, R. J. (2003). Fertiliser responses in potatoes-an overview of past Ravensdown research. Proceedings Agronomy Society of New Zealand Vol. 32, pp. 15-25.
-  Czajkowski, R., Perombelon, M. C., van Veen, J. A., & van der Wolf, J. M. (2011). Control of blackleg and tuber soft rot of potato caused by Pectobacterium and Dickeya species: a review. Plant pathology, 60(6), 999-1013.
-  Embrapa (2015) Nematoides na cultura da batata. Circular Técnica;143:1-12
-  Papademetriou, M. K. (2008). Workshop to commemorate the International Year of Potato-2008. RAP Publication (FAO).
-  Gildemacher, P. R., Kaguongo, W., Ortiz, O., Tesfaye, A., Woldegiorgis, G., Wagoire, W. W., & Leeuwis, C. (2009). Improving potato production in Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia: a system diagnosis. Potato research, 52(2), 173-205.
-  Goffart, J. P., Olivier, M., Frankinet, M. (2008). Potato crop nitrogen status assessment to improve N fertilization management and efficiency: Past –present – future. Potato Res., 51, 355–383
-  Güllüoglu L, Arioglu H (2009). Effects of seed size and in-row spacing on growth and yield of early potato in a Mediterranean-type environment in Turkey. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 4(5): 535-541.
-  Horneck, D., & Rosen, C. (2008). Measuring nutrient accumulation rates of potatoes—tools for better management. Better Crops, 92(1), 4-6.
-  Hanafi, A. (1999). Integrated pest management of potato tuber moth in field and storage. Potato Research, 42(2), 373-380.
-  Horsfield, A., Wicks, T., Davies, K., Wilson, D., & Paton, S. (2010). Effect of fungicide use strategies on the control of early blight (Alternaria solani) and potato yield. Australasian Plant Pathology, 39(4), 368-375.
-  Jaiswal VP and Lal SS (1996) Efficacy of cultural and chemical weed-control methods in potato (Solanum tuberosum). Indian J Agron 41(3): 454-56
-  Johnson, D. A., & Dung, J. K. (2010). Verticillium wilt of potato–the pathogen, disease and management. Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology, 32(1), 58-67.
-  Karam, F., Massaad, R., Skaf, S., Breidy, J., & Rouphael, Y. (2011). Potato response to potassium application rates and timing under semi-arid conditions. Advances in Horticultural Science, 265-268.
-  Khan, S.A., M.M. Rahman Jamro and M.Y. Arain, (2010). Determination of suitable planting geometry for different true potato tuberlet grades. Pakistan J. Agric. Res. 23: 42–45
-  Kidane, B. Z., Hailu, M. H., & Haile, H. T. (2017). Maize and Potato Intercropping: A Technology to Increase Productivity and Profitability in Tigray. Open Agriculture, 2(1), 411-416.
-  Kim, J. J., Goettel, M. S., & Gillespie, D. R. (2007). Potential of Lecanicillium species for dual microbial control of aphids and the cucumber powdery mildew fungus, Sphaerotheca fuliginea. Biological Control, 40(3), 327-332.
-  Konar, A., & Paul, S. (2005). Comparative field efficacy of synthetic insecticides and bio-pesticides against aphids on potato. Annals of Plant Protection Sciences, 13(1), 34-36.
-  Kouwenhoven, J. K., Perdok, U. D., Jonkheer, E. C., Sikkema, P. K., & Wieringa, A. (2003). Soil ridge geometry for green control in French fry potato production on loamy clay soils in The Netherlands. Soil and Tillage Research, 74(2), 125-141.
-  Kroschel, J., & Koch, W. (1996). Studies on the use of chemicals, botanicals and Bacillus thuringiensis in the management of the potato tuber moth in potato stores. Crop Protection, 15(2), 197-203.
-  Lal Bhardwaj, R. (2013). Effect of mulching on crop production under rainfed condition-a review. Agricultural Reviews, 34(3).
-  Lal, L. (1991). Effect of inter-cropping on the incidence of potato tuber moth, Phthorimaea operculella (Zeller). Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 36(3-4), 185-190.
-  Larkin, R. P., Honeycutt, C. W., & Olanya, O. M. (2011). Management of Verticillium wilt of potato with disease-suppressive green manures and as affected by previous cropping history. Plant Disease, 95(5), 568-576.
-  Linus, M. M., & Irungu, J. W. (2004). Effect of integrated use of inorganic fertilizer and organic manures on bacterial wilt incidence (BWI) and tuber yield in potato production systems on hill slopes of central Kenya. Journal of Mountain Science, 1(1), 81-88.
-  Love SL, Thompson-Johns A (1999). Seed piece spacing influences yield, tuber size distribution, stem and tuber density, and net returns of three processing potato cultivars. Hort. Sci. 34(4):629-633.
-  Love, S.L. and A. Thompson-Johns, (1999). Seed piece spacing influences yield, tuber size distribution, stem and tuber density, and net returns of three processing potato cultivars. Hort. Sci. 34: 629–633
-  Masarirambi, M.T., F.C. Mandisodza, A.B. Mashingaidze and E. Bhebhe, (2012). Influence of plant population and seed tuber size on growth and yield components of potato (Solanum tuberosum). Int. J. Agric. Biol. 14: 545–549.
-  Mburu Njoroge, J. (1984, January). Effect of ridging and non-ridging on tuber yield and quality of two potato varieties grown in Kenya. In X African Symposium on Horticultural Crops 158, pp. 119-126.
-  Muthoni, J., & Kabira, J. N. (2011). Effects of different sources of nitrogen on potato at Tigoni, Kenya. Journal of Soil Science and Environmental Management, 2(6), 167-174.
-  Muthoni, J., Shimelis, H., & Melis, R. (2012). Management of Bacterial Wilt [Rhalstonia solanacearum Yabuuchi et al., 1995] of Potatoes: Opportunity for Host Resistance in Kenya. Journal of Agricultural Science, 4(9), 64.
-  Muthoni, J., Shimelis, H., & Melis, R. (2013). Alleviating potato seed tuber shortage in developing countries: Potential of true potato seeds. Australian Journal of Crop Science, 7(12), 1946.
-  Namugga, P., Sibiya, J., Melis, R., & Barekye, A. (2018). Yield Response of Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) Genotypes to Late Blight Caused by Phytophthora infestans in Uganda. American Journal of Potato Research, 95(4), 423-434.
-  Namwata BML, Lwelamira J, Mzirai OB (2010). Adoption of improved agricultural technologies for Irish potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) among farmers in Mbeya Rural district, Tanzania: A case of Ilungu ward. J. Animal and Plant Sci. 8:1:927- 935.
-  Munoz F, Mylavarapu RS, Hutchinson CM. 2005. Environmentally responsible potato production systems: A review. Journal of Plant Nutrition 28: 1287–1309
-  Nyankanga RO, Wien HC, Olanya OM, Ojiambo PS (2004) Farmers' cultural practices and management of potato late blight in Kenya highlands: implications for development of integrated disease management. Int J Pest Manage 50:135–144.
-  Nyankanga, R. O., Wien, H. C., Olanya, O. M., & Ojiambo, P. S. (2004). Farmers' cultural practices and management of potato late blight in Kenya highlands: implications for development of integrated disease management. International journal of pest management, 50(2), 135-144.
-  Nyiraneza, J., Bizimungu, B., Messiga, A. J., Fuller, K. D., Fillmore, S. A. E., & Jiang, Y. (2017). Potato yield and phosphorus use efficiency of two new potato cultivars in New Brunswick, Canada. Canadian Journal of plant science, 97(5), 784-795.
-  Olanya, O. M., Honeycutt, C. W., Larkin, R. P., Griffin, T. S., He, Z., & Halloran, J. M. (2009). The effect of cropping systems and irrigation management on development of potato early blight. Journal of general plant pathology, 75(4), 267-275.
-  Onkendi, E. M., Kariuki, G. M., Marais, M., & Moleleki, L. N. (2014). The threat of root‐knot nematodes (Meloidogyne spp.) in Africa: a review. Plant Pathology, 63(4), 727-737..
-  Otieno, H. M., Chemining’Wa, G. N., & Zingore, S. (2018). Effect of farmyard manure, lime and inorganic fertilizer applications on soil pH, nutrients uptake, growth and nodulation of soybean in acid soils of western Kenya. J Agr Sci 10, 199-208.
-  Pasche J.S., Wharam C.M., and Gudmestad, N.C. (2004). Shift in sensitivity of Alternaria solani in response to Q (0) I fungicides. Plant Dis. 88: 181–187.
-  Rahman, M. M., Dey, T. K., Ali, M. A., Khalequzzaman, K. M., & Hussain, M. A. (2008). Control of late blight disease of potato by using new fungicides. Int. J. Sustain. Crop Prod 3(2), 10-15.
-  Haq I, Rashid A, Khan SA (2008) Relative efficacy of various fungicides, chemicals and bio-chemicals against late blight of potato. Pak J Phytopathol 21: 129–133
-  Riley, D. G., & Pappu, H. R. (2000). Evaluation of tactics for management of thrips-vectored tomato spotted wilt virus in tomato. Plant disease, 84(8), 847-852.
-  Rondon, S. I. (2010). The potato tuberworm: a literature review of its biology, ecology, and control. American Journal of Potato Research, 87(2), 149-166.
-  Rosen, C. J., Kelling, K. A., Stark, J. C., & Porter, G. A. (2014). Optimizing phosphorus fertilizer management in potato production. American Journal of Potato Research, 91(2), 145-160.
-  Ruža, A., Skrabule, I., & Vaivode, A. (2013, October). Influence of nitrogen on potato productivity and nutrient use efficiency. Proceedings of the Latvian Academy of Sciences. Section B. Natural, Exact, and Applied Sciences Vol. 67, No. 3, pp. 247-253
-  Salem, S. A. (1991). Evaluation of neem seed oil as tuber protectant against Phthorimaea operculella Zell.(Lepidoptera, Gelechiidae). Annals of Agricultural Science, Moshtohor, 29(1), 589-595.
-  Senasica (2013) Nematodo dorado de la papa- Globodera rostochiensis – Mexico – Segarpa. Ficha Técnica 19: 1-24
-  Shaaban, H., & Kisetu, E. (2014). Response of irish potato to NPK fertilizer application and its economic return when grown on an Ultisol of Morogoro, Tanzania. Journal of Agricultural and Crop Research, 2(9), 188-196.
-  Shakur, M., Ullah, F., Naem, M., Amin, M., Saljoqi, A. U. R., & Zamin, M. (2007). Effect of various insecticides for the control of potato cutworm (Agrotis ipsilon huf, Noctuidae: Lepidoptera) at Kalam Swat. SARHAD JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURE, 23(2), 423.
-  Shannag, H. S., Capinera, J. L., & Freihat, N. M. (2014). Efficacy of different neem-based biopesticides against green peach aphid, Myzus persicae (Hemiptera: Aphididae). International Journal of Agricultural Policy and Research, 2(2), 61-68.
-  Sharaiha, R. and H. Saoub,2004.Varietal response of potato, bean and corn to intercropping. Agricultural Sciences, 31: 1-11.
-  Shunka E, Chindi A, W/giorgis G, Seid E, Tessema L (2016) Response of Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) Varieties to Nitrogen and Potassium Fertilizer Rates in Central Highlands of Ethiopia. Adv Crop Sci Tech 4: 250
-  Singhai, P. K., Sarma, B. K., & Srivastava, J. S. (2011). Biological management of common scab of potato through Pseudomonas species and vermicompost. Biological Control, 57(2), 150-157.
-  Sriom, D.P. Mishra, Priyanka Rajbhar, Devraj Singh, Rajat Kumar Singh and Sudhir Kumar Mishra. (2017). Effect of different levels of nitrogen on growth and yield in potato (Solanum tuberosum (L.) CV. Kufri Khyati. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci. 6(6): 1456-1460.
-  Strange PC, Blackmore KW (1990). Effect of whole seed tubers, cut seed and within row spacing on potato (cv. Sebago) Tuber yield. Anim. Prod. Sci. 30(3):427-431.
-  Symington, C. A. (2003). Lethal and sublethal effects of pesticides on the potato tuber moth, Phthorimaea operculella (Zeller) (Lepidoptera: Gelechiidae) and its parasitoid Orgilus lepidus Muesebeck (Hymenoptera: Braconidae). Crop Protection, 22(3), 513-519.
-  Tadesse, Y., Almekinders, C. J., Schulte, R. P., & Struik, P. C. (2017). Understanding farmers’ potato production practices and use of improved varieties in Chencha, Ethiopia. Journal of crop improvement, 31(5), 673-688.
-  Talukder, M. A. H., Islam, M. B., Kamal, S. M. A. H. M., Mannaf, M. A., & Uddin, M. M. (2009). Effects of magnesium on the performance of potato in the Tista Meander Floodplain soil. Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Research, 34(2), 255-261.
-  Tripathi, D. M., Bisht, R. S., & Mishra, P. N. (2003). Bio-efficacy of some synthetic insecticides and bio-pesticides against black cutworm, Agrotis ipsilon infesting potato (Solanum tuberosum) in Garhwal Himalaya. Indian Journal of Entomology, 65(4), 468-473.
-  Tschumi, M., Albrecht, M., Collatz, J., Dubsky, V., Entling, M. H., Najar‐Rodriguez, A. J., & Jacot, K. (2016). Tailored flower strips promote natural enemy biodiversity and pest control in potato crops. Journal of applied ecology, 53(4), 1169-1176.
-  Tsedaley, B. (2014). Review on early blight (Alternaria spp.) of potato disease and its management options. J Biol Agric Healthc 4(27), 191-199.
-  Uppal, A. K., El Hadrami, A., Adam, L. R., Tenuta, M., & Daayf, F. (2008). Biological control of potato Verticillium wilt under controlled and field conditions using selected bacterial antagonists and plant extracts. Biological Control 44(1), 90-100.
-  Uyole Agricultural Research Centre (UARC) (1990). Kilimo Bora cha Viazi Mviringo. Extension Leaflet No. 49. Shirika la Kilimo Uyole, Mbeya, Tanzania. 20pp
-  Waterer, D. (2002). Impact of high soil pH on potato yields and grade losses to common scab. Canadian journal of plant science, 82(3), 583-586.
-  Were, H. K., Kabira, J. N., Kinyua, Z. M., Olubayo, F. M., Karinga, J. K., Aura, J., ... & Torrance, L. (2013). Occurrence and distribution of potato pests and diseases in Kenya. Potato Research, 56(4), 325-342.
-  Woodward, J. E., Wheeler, T. A., Cattaneo, M. G., Russell, S. A., & Baughman, T. A. (2011). Evaluation of soil fumigants for management of Verticillium wilt of peanut in Texas. Plant Health Progress, 12(1), 16.
-  Wurr, D.C.E., J.R. Fellows and E.J. Allen, (1993). An approach to determining optimum tuber planting densities in early potato varieties. J. Agric. Sci. 120: 63–70
-  Youssef, M. M. A. (2013). Potato nematodes and their control measures: a review. Archives of phytopathology and plant protection, 46(11), 1371-1375.
-  Zelalem, A., Tekalign, T., & Nigussie, D. (2009). Response of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) to different rates of nitrogen and phosphorus fertilization on vertisols at Debre Berhan, in the central highlands of Ethiopia. African Journal of Plant Science, 3(2), 016-024.
-  Zemba, A., Wuyep, S. Z., Adebayo, A. A., & Jahknwa, C. J. (2013). Growth and yield response of irish potato (Solanum Tuberosum) to climate in Jos-South, Plateau State, Nigeria. Global Journal of Human-Social Science Research, 13(5).
-  Hillary M. O. Otieno, Impacts and Management Strategies of Common Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) Pests and Diseases in East Africa. Frontiers in Science, Vol. 9 No. 2, 2019, pp. 33-40.
Publication order reference