Comparative Analysis of The Mineral Elements Constituent of Cola millenii K. Schum and Blighia sapida K.D. Koenig
Languages of publication
Limited information on the mineral elements constituent of ackee Blighia sapida K.D. Koenig and Cola millenii K. Schum are responsible for the underutilization of parts of this tree for health benefit purposes in West Africa. This study comparatively investigated the mineral nutrient content of both B. sapida and C. millenii pods. The results of the mineral element composition revealed that ackee (B. sapida) pod is high in Na 1.325%, Ca 0.032%, Mg 0.033%, P 0.017% and K 0.077%, compared to C. millenii with Na 0.663%, Ca 0.019%, Mg 0.013%, P 0.004% and K 0.013%, respectively. We also noted that the pods of B. sapida are rich in Fe 0.135%, when compared to 0.045% of Fe present in C. millenii pods. In contrast, C. milleni pods are rich in Cu 0.086% when compared to B. sapida pods at 0.054%. Also C. milleni pods contain Mn 0.001%, Zn 0.006%, Pd 0.006%, Cr 0.0002% and Cd 0.00002% while B. sapida contains Mn 0.003%, Zn 0.005%, Pd 0.004%, Cr 0.003% and Cd 0.00008%, respectively. These results indicate that ackee pods are good sources of Sodium and Iron, when compared with C. millenii. The results also reveal that the levels of Lead, Chromium and cadmium are very low in both samples, making them safe for human consumption.
-  Abubakar, M.G., Yerima, M.B., Zahriya, A.G and Ukwuani, A.N. (2010). Acute toxicity and antifungal studies of ethanolic leaves, stem and pulp extract of Tamarindus indica. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological And Chemical Sciences 1(4): 104-111
-  Adams, C.D. (1972). Flowering Plants of Jamaica, University of the West Indies (Mona), Kingston, Jamaica.
-  Amaechi, N.C. (2009). Nutritive and anti-nutritive evaluation of wonderful kola (Buccholzia coricea) seeds. Pak. J. Nut. 8: 1120-1122
-  Barceloux, D.G. (2008). Ackee fruit and Jamaican vomiting sickness, In Barceloux, D.G. (ed.), Medical Toxicology of Natural Substances: Foods, Fungi, Medicinal Herbs, Toxic Plants, and Venomous Animals, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New Jersey, pp. 318-326.
-  Beard, J.L (2001). Iron biology in immune function, muscle metabolism and neuronal functioning. J. Nutr. 131: 5685-5695
-  Blake, O. (2003), Chemical and Toxicological Characterization of Selected Components of the Ackee (Blighia sapida) Fruit, M.Phil. Thesis (Unpublished), Department of Chemistry, University of the West Indies Mona, Kingston, Jamaica.
-  Batra, J, Seth, P.K. (2002).Effect of iron deficiency on developing rat brain. Indian. J. Clin. Biochem. 17 (2): 108-1114
-  Chandra, R.K (1990). Micro-Nutrients and immune functions: An overview. Annal New York Acad. Sci. 587: 9-16.
-  Ekue, M.R.M., Sinsin, B., Eyog-Matig, O. and Kinkeldey, R. (2010). Uses, traditional management, perception of variation and preferences in ackee (Blighia sapida K.D. Koenig) fruit traits in Benin: implications for domestication and conservation. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine, Vol. 6, 12. http://www.ethnobiomed.com/content/6/1/12
-  Hays, V.W, Swenson, M.J. (1985). Minerals and Bones. In: Dukes’ Physiology of Domestic Animals, Tenth Edition pp. 449-466.
-  Khan, A., Gumbs, F.A. and Persad, A. (2002). Pesticidal bioactivity of ackee (Blighia sapida Koenig) against three stored-product insect pests. Tropical Agriculture (Trinidad), Vol. 79, No. 4, pp. 217-223.
-  Murray, R.K, Granner, D.K, Mayes, P.A, Rodwell, V.W. (2000). Harper’s Biochemistry, 25th Edition, McGraw-Hill, Health Profession Division, USA.
-  Malhotra, V.K. (1998).Biochemistry for students. Tenth Edition. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd, New Delhi, India.
-  Morton, J.F. (1987), Fruits of Warm Climates, Julia Morton, Miami, FL.
-  Ouattara, H., Niamke, B., Dally, T and Kati-Coulibaly, S. (2010). Nutritional composition studies of sun dried Blighia Sapida (K. Koenig) aril from Cote d'Ivoire. Journal of Applied Bioscience, 32, pp. 1989-1994
-  Oladiji, A.T., Shoremekun, K.L. and Yakubu, M.T. (2009). Physicochemical properties of the oil from the fruit of Blighia sapida and toxicological evaluation of the oil-based diet in Wistar rats. Journal of Medicinal Food, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 1127-1135.
-  Omobuwajo TO, Sanni LA, Olajide JO: Physical properties of ackee apple (Blighia sapida) seeds. Journal of Food Engineering 2000, 45: 43-48. 10.1016/S0260-8774(00)00040-6
-  Patwardhan, V.N. (1961). Nutritionin in India. Bombay. Indiand Journal of Medical Sciences, 2nd ed. 515 pp.
-  Sofowora, A., (1982). Medicinal plants and Traditional medicine in Africa: John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 1-10. Substantial equivalence of antinutrients and inherent plant toxins in genetically modified foods. Food Chem. 38: 473-483
-  Tan, J.C, Burns, D.L, Jones, H.R (2006). Severe ataxia, myelopathy and peripheral neuropathy due to acquired copper deficiency in a patient with history of gastrectomy. J. Paenteral Nutr. 30: 446-450
-  Djenontin ST, Wotto VD, Lozano P, Pioch D, Sohounhloué DKC: Characterisation of Blighia sapida (Sapindaceae) seed oil and defatted cake from Benin. Natural Product Research: Formerly Natural Product Letters 2009, 23: 549-560
-  Adebola, P.O. & Morakinyo, J.A. Evaluation of Morpho-agronomic Variability of Wild and Cultivated Kola (Cola Species Schott et Endl.) in South Western Nigeria. Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution June 2006, Volume 53, Issue 4, pp 687–694. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10722-004-3558-1
-  Violaine Nicolas, Armand Natta, Patrick Barrieré, Arnaud Delapre, Marc Colyn. Terrestrial small mammal diversity and abundance in central Benin: comparison between habitats, with conservation implications. African Journal of Ecology Volume 48, Issue 4 December 2010 Pages 1092-1104. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2028.2010.01221.x
-  Joseph Ikechukwu Muoghalu, Oluwabumi Okerinmola Okeesan. Climber species composition, abundance and relationship with trees in a Nigerian secondary forest. African Journal of Ecology Volume 43, Issue 3 September 2005 Pages 258-266. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2028.2005.00585.x
-  Morakinyo JA (1995) Gene exchange between Cola millenii and Cola nitida: hybridization and hybrid seed viability. Biosci Res Commun 7(2): 151–153
Publication order reference