A Web-Based Garment Configuration for Mass Customization
Languages of publication
Online shopping is a form of e-commerce which allows customers to directly buy goods from a seller over the internet, using personal computers, smart phones, etc. This monograph deals with the development of an e-commerce website for an online shopping of different types of female clothing, which provides the user with a catalogue or vogue glossary of different types of colours, products, and styles available for purchase in the store. The online shopping project was developed to allow a garment-making business to grow larger and faster and also to reduce the stress of visiting local fashion homes by working-class females. It essentially aimed at allowing working-class women within Ekpoma locality to view and order garment (product) online at their convenience, giving their own measurements. The web site displays different types of locally-made Africa clothing and designs, which could be delivered to the costumers in a short duration of time. The online shopping application is designed from a user point-of-view. The user-friendly design helps the users in accomplishing their tasks with ease. Care was taken to keep the design simple and understandable. The screens were designed in ADOBE DREAMWAVER and the business logic was written in CSS, JAVA SCRIPT, and PHP, MYSQL. The total lines of code written in this application are Java, CSS AND PHP. The modules are as listed: 1. Registration (new users); 2. Login; 3. Select category; 4. View products in vogue glossary; 5. Price list 6; Purchasing and mode of payment; 7. Input correct measurements; and 8. Mode of delivery. The application has been implemented and tested to improve the economy and reduce stress of working-class women going to local fashion homes for amendment after shopping of apparel or clothing in Ekpoma locality in Nigeria. Also, it allows them to make their own choice of materials to be used for their choice of style or design, using their own measurements. In so doing, the research produced a prototype web-based garment configuration for mass customization. It also provided a new system that could reduce both the problems and limitations of the existing production processes in the female garment-making industry and it is hoped that the study would open up new vistas of research interfaces between computer science and fashion studies.
-  Aigbedo, H. (2007). An assessment of the effect of mass customization on suppliers’ inventory levels in a JIT supply chain. European Journal of Operations research, 181, 704-715
-  Armstrong, J. S., and Overton, T. S. (1977). Estimating nonresponse bias in mail surveys. Journal of Marketing Research, 14, 396-402.
-  Batista, L. (2013). New business models enabled by digital technologies: A perspective from the fashion sector. Norwich, Norfolk: University of East Anglia.
-  Bellgran, M. and Säfsten, K. (2010). Production development design and operation of production systems. London: Springer. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-84882-495-9
-  Blecker, T., and Abdelkafi, N. (2006). Mass customization: State-of-the-art and challenges. International Series in Operations Research and Management Science, 87, 1-26
-  Blecker, T., Friedrich, G., Kaluza, B., Abdelkafi, N., and Kreutler, G. (2005). Information and management systems for product customization. Boston: Springer.
-  Da Silveira, G., Borenstein, D., and Fogliatto, F. S. (2001). Mass customization: Literature review and research directions. International Journal of Production Economics, 72, 1-13.
-  Davis, S. M. (1987). Future perfect. Reading, Mass: Addison-Wesley.
-  Duray, R. (2002). Mass customization origins: Mass or custom manufacturing? International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 22 (3), 314-330.
-  Duray, R., Ward, P. T., Milligan, G. W., and Berry, W. L. (2000). Approaches to mass customization: Configurations and empirical validation. Journal of Operations Management, 18, 605-612.
-  Eckert, C. M., Clarkson, P. J., and Zanker, W. (2004). Change and customization in complex engineering domains. Research in Engineering Design, 15(1), 1-21.
-  Feitzinger, E., and Lee, H. L. (1997). Mass customization at Hewlett-Packard: The power of postponement. Harvard Business Review, 75(1), 116-121. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-84882-495-9
-  Franke, N., and Piller, F. (2004). Toolkits for user innovation and design: An exploration of user interaction and value creation. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 21(6), 401-415.
-  Garcia, R. and Calantone, R. (2002). A critical look at technological innovation typology and innovativeness terminology: A literature review. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 19 (2), 110-132.
-  Gunasekaran, A., and Ngai, E. W. T. (2005). Build-to-order supply chain management: A literature review and framework for development. Journal of Operations Management, 23, 423-451.
-  Hart, C. (1995). Mass customization: Conceptual underpinnings, opportunities and limits. International Journal of Service Industry, 6 (2), 36-45.
-  Istook, C. and Hwang, S. J. (2001). 3D body scanning systems with application to the apparel industry. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 5(2), 120-132.
-  Fang, J. and Ding, Y. (2007). Expert-based customized pattern-making automation: Part I. Basic patterns. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 20, 1, 25-40.
-  Kang, T. J. and Kim, S. M. (2000). Development of three-dimensional apparel CAD system. Part I: Flat garment pattern drafting system. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 12 (1), 26-38
-  Kang, T. J. and Kim, S. M. (2000). Optimized garment pattern generation based on three-dimensional anthropometric measurement. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 12 (4), 240-254.
-  Kang, T. J. and Kim, S. M. (2003). Garment pattern from body scan data. Computer-Aided Design, 35 (7), 611-618.
-  Kaplan, A. M., and Haenlein, M. (2006). Toward a parsimonious definition of traditional and electronic mass customization. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 23, 168-182.
-  Kotha, S. (1995). Mass customization: Implementing the emerging paradigm for competitive advantage. Strategic Management Journal, 16, 21-42.
-  Kotler, P. (1997). Marketing management: Analysis, planning, implementation and control. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 12 (1), 26- 38.
-  Lampel, J., and Mintzberg, H. (1996). Customizing customization. Sloan Management Review, 38, 21-29.
-  Lu, J.-M. and Wang, M.-J.J. (2008). Automated anthropometric data collection using 3D whole body scanners. Expert Systems with Applications, 35 (1-2), 407-414.
-  Lu, J.-M. and Wang, M.-J.J. (2011). A computer-aided production system for mass customization in fashion. Scientific Journal of Riga Technical University, 46, 104-109.
-  Martell, L. (2010). The sociology of globalization. Cambridge: Polity Press.
-  Momany, P. J. (1996). A mass customization revolution. Retrieved January 22, 2011, from http://www.articlestree.com/technology/a-mass-customization-revolution-tx189842.html
-  Meunier, P., Yin, S. (2000). Performance of a 2D image-based anthropometric measurement and clothing sizing system. Applied Ergonomics, 22, 445-451.
-  Nayak, R., Padhye, R., Wang, L., Chatterjee K.and Sheetal G. (2015). The role of mass customization in the apparel industry. International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, 8(2), 162–172.
-  Paquette, S. (1996). 3D Scanning in Apparel Design and Human Engineering. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 16 (5), 11-15.
-  Petrak, S., and Rogale, D. (2000). Methods of automatic computerized cutting pattern construction. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 13 (3/4), 228-239.
-  Petrak, S., and Rogale, D. (2006). Systematic representation and application of a 3D computer-aided garment construction method (Part I: 3D garment basic cut construction on a virtual body model). International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 18 (3), 179- 187.
-  Piller, F. T. (2007). Observations on the present and future of mass customization. International Journal of Flexible Manufacturing System, 19, 630-636.
-  Piller, F., Schubert, P., Koch, M., and Möslein, K. (2005). Overcoming mass confusion: Collaborative customer co-design in online communities. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 10 (4), 8-17.
-  Piller, F., and Kumar, A. (2006). For each, their own - The strategic imperative of mass customization. Industrial Engineer, I (E), 38-40.
-  Piller, F. (2004). Mass customization: reflections on the state of the concept. International Journal of Flexible Manufacturing Systems, 16, 313-334.
-  Pine, B. J. (1993). Mass customization: the new frontier in business competition. Boston, Mass, Harvard Business School Press.
-  Pine, B. J., Peppers, D., and Rogers, M. (1995). Do you want to keep your customers forever? Harvard Business Review, 73(2), 103-114.
-  Radder, L. and Louw, L. (1999). Mass customization and mass production. The TQM Magazine, 11 (1), 35-40. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/09544789910246615
-  Salvador, F., Rungtusanatham, M., Akpinar, A., Forza, C. (2008). Strategic capabilities required for mass customization: Theoretical synthesis and empirical evidence. Academy of Management Conference.
-  Schreier, M. (2006). The value increment of mass-customized products: An empirical assessment. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 5(4), 317-327. DOI: 10.1002/cb.183
-  Stylios, G., Fan, J., Sotomi, J.O. and Deavon, R. (1992). A new concept in garment manufacture. International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, 4 (5), 45-48.
-  Svensson, C., and Barfod, A. (2002). Limits and opportunities in mass customization for "build to order" SMEs. Computers in industry. 49, 77-89.
-  Tapscott, D. and Williams, A. D.( 2010). Wikinomics: How mass collaboration changes everything. Expanded edition. New York: Penguin.
-  Tseng, M.M. and Jiao, J. (1996). Design for mass customization. CIRP Annals, 45 (1), 153-156.
-  Tseng, M. and Jiao, J. (2001). Mass customization. Handbook of industrial engineering. Gaviel Salvendy (Ed.). 3rd edition. New York: Wiley.
-  Tseng, M. M., and Piller, F. T. (2003). The customer centric enterprise, advances in mass customization and personalization. New York: Springer.
-  von Hippel, E. (2001). Perspective: User toolkits for innovation. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 18 (4), 247 -257.
-  Wikström, S. (1996). The customer as co-producer. European Journal of Marketing, 30 (4), 6-19. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/03090569610118803
-  Walcher, D. and Piller, F. (2011). The customization 500 study. Retrieved 19 Jan 2017, from http://www.robertfreund.de/blog/2011/11/28/walcher-d-piller-f-2011-the-customization-500/
-  Wang, M.-J.J., Wu, W.-Y., Lin, K.-C., Yang, S.-N. and Lu, J.-M. (2007). Automated anthropometric data collection from three-dimensional digital human models. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 32 (1-2), 109-115.
Publication order reference