The Impacts of Population Growth on the Land use Changes in Batticaloa Municipal Council, Sri Lanka
Languages of publication
Urbanization is a new development of city centres within its original boundaries to satisfy a growing population. Today, rapid population growth collapses the land use pattern due to the developments of housing and infrastructure. This study aims to identify the impacts of population growth on land-use changes in the Batticaloa Municipal Council. Various methods were used to interpret and analyze the maps, such as the supervised maximum likelihood classification, density analysis, and Pearson's correlation coefficient analysis. The results revealed that a high population density was identified near the core city, which decreases from the city centre to the city limits. Commercial and residential categories strongly correlated with population growth, and agriculture mostly closed at a significant level. Rest categories were insignificant with population growth. Thus, land use planning should be implemented to control the effects on land use.
-  Bagan, H. and Yamagata, Y. (2012). Landsat analysis of urban growth: How Tokyo became the world's largest megacity during the last 40 years. Remote Sensing of Environment, 127, 210-222
-  Basu, B., Sarkar Basu, A., Sannigrahi, S., and Pilla, F. (2020). Investigating land use and land cover changes in Dublin, Ireland using Satellite Imagery: A comparative analysis. Paper presented at the EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts.
-  Dadashpoor, H., Azizi, P., and Moghadasi, M. (2019). Land use change, urbanization, and change in landscape pattern in a metropolitan area. Science of the Total Environment, 655, 707-719
-  Heidarlou, H.B., Shafiei, A.B., Erfanian, M., Tayyebi, A., and Alijanpour, A. (2019). Effects of preservation policy on land use changes in Iranian Northern Zagros forests. Land Use Policy, 81, 76-90
-  Mahamud, M., Samat, N., Tan, M., Chan, N., and Tew, Y. (2019). Prediction of Future Land Use Land Cover Changes of Kelantan, Malaysia. The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Volume XLII-4/W16, 2019 6th International Conference on Geomatics and Geospatial Technology (GGT 2019), 1–3 October 2019, Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaThis contribution has been peer-reviewed. https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLII-4-W16-379-2019
-  Msofe, N.K., Sheng, L., and Lyimo, J. (2019). Land use change trends and their driving forces in the Kilombero Valley Floodplain, Southeastern Tanzania. Sustainability, 11(2), 505
-  Noszczyk, T. (2019). A review of approaches to land use changes modeling. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment: An International Journal, 25(6), 1377-1405
-  Paudel, B., Zhang, Y., Yan, J., Rai, R., and Li, L. (2019). Farmers' perceptions of agricultural land use changes in Nepal and their major drivers. Journal of Environmental Management, 235, 432-441
-  Pavilonis, B., Maroko, A., and Cheng, Z. (2020). Lead in New York City's soils: Population growth, land use, and contamination. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health, 229, 113564
-  Polyakov, M. and Zhang, D. (2008). Population growth and land use dynamics along urban–rural gradient. Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, 40 (1379-2016-112879), 649-666.
-  Sati, S. and Danwalis, S. (2020). Analysis of Land Use Changes in Kaduna North Local Government Area, Nigeria. Ethiopian Journal of Environmental Studies & Management, 13(2), 126-137
-  Yu, J., Zhou, K., and Yang, S. (2019). Land use efficiency and influencing factors of urban agglomerations in China. Land Use Policy, 88, 104143
Publication order reference