Design and implementation of programmable ultrafast circuit breaker with solid state relay
Languages of publication
The concept of electronic circuit breaker came into focus realizing that conventional circuit breakers such as MCBs take longer time to trip. Therefore, for sensitive loads it is very important to activate the tripping mechanism at the shortest possible time, preferably instantaneously. This project is demonstrates fast tripping mechanism as against the slow one like MCB. Electronic circuit breaker is based on the voltage drop across a series element proportional to the load current, typically a low value resistor. This voltage is sensed and rectified to DC which is and then compared with a preset voltage by a level comparator to generate an output that drives a relay through a MOSFET to trip the load. The unit is extremely fast and overcomes the drawback of the thermal type. It uses a microcontroller from 8051 family. The project was designed to shut down the power supply when it is overloaded. Conventional circuit breaker like MCB based is on thermal bimetal lever trip mechanism. It is very slow and the trip time is dependent upon the percentage of overload. This project senses the current passing through a series element and the corresponding voltage drop is compared against the preset voltage proportional to the current by a level comparator to generate an output for the load to trip.
-  Ben Damsky, Vitaly Gelman, John Frederick, “A solid state current limiter”,Article http://www.epa.gov/electricpower-sf6/documents/conf02_damsky_paper.pdf FREEDM systems center website, “http://www.freedm.ncsu.edu/index.php?s=1&p=6”. NGIPS technology development roadmap, Dec 2007.
-  C. B. Henze, N. Mohan, C.P. Henze, R. Button, “A programmable solid state Current limiting circuit breaker for space applications”, IECON 2002.
-  C. Meyer, S. Schroder, Rik W. De Doncker, “Solid state circuit breakers and Current limiters for medium voltage systems having distributed power systems”, IEEE transactions on power electronics, September 2004.
-  Francesco Bittoni, Guido Fiesoli, Lorenzo Cincinelli, “Electronic Circuit Breaker”, Patent# Wo 2004/082091 A1, September 2004.
-  G. M. Masters, “Renewable and Efficient Electric Power Systems”, 2004. “http://www.ionbeamoptics.com/projects.htm” accessed on 10/21/11.
-  Hesam Mirzaee, “Medium-Voltage DC (MVDC) Power Distribution System for Future Efficient Electric Power Delivery”, NC State University, Spring 2011.
-  Huan Liang Tsai, Ci-Siang Tu, Yi-Jie Su, “Development of generalised Photovoltaic model using MATLAB/SIMULINK,” Proceedings of world congress on Engineering and Computer science, San Fransico, CA, October 2008
-  J. Czucha, J. Woloszyn, M. Woloszyn: “The comparison of ultra fast A.C. hybrid circuit breakers with GTO and IGBT”. 35th Universities Power Engineering Conference UPEC’2000, Belfast, 6-8 September 2000.
-  J. Meyer, A Rufer, “DC Hybrid CB with ultra fast contact opening with IGCT”, IEEE transactions on power delivery, April 2006
-  Jianguo Mu, Li Wang, Jie Hu, “Analysis and design of topological structure for DC solid state circuit breaker” , World non grid connected wind power and energy conference, September 2009.
-  M. Baran, S. Teleke, S. Bhattacharya, “Overcurrent protection in DC zonal Shipboard power systems using solid state protection devices”, Electric ship technologies symposium, May 2007.
-  M. Steurer, K. Frohlich, W. Holaus, K. Kaltenegger, “A novel hybrid current Limiting circuit breaker for medium voltage: Principle & test results”, IEEE transactions on power delivery, April 2003.
-  O. Vodyakho, M. Steurer, D. Neumayr, C.S. Edrington, G. Karady, S. Bhattacharya, “Solid state fault isolation devices: Application to future power electronics based distribution systems”, Electric power applications, July 11, 2012
-  P. Jankowski, B. Dudojc, J. Mindykowski: “An optimeter designed to register ultra fast displacement”. TC4 IMEKO 2008 Symposium and IWADC, Florence, Italy, September 2008, Proceedings, CD-ROM.
-  P. Jankowski, K. Jakubiuk: “Model obwodowy napedu indukcyjno-dynamicznego”. XIX Seminarium z Podstaw Elektrotechniki i Teorii obwodów, Gliwice – Ustron 1996. pp. 243-246. (in Polish).
-  P. Jankowski, S. Rymkiewicz: “Stress analysis of magnetoelastically vibrating disc”. ACTA TECHNICA CSAV Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Praha 2008.
Publication order reference