PREPARATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF CRYOGELS BASED ON PECTIN AND CHITOSAN
Languages of publication
Novel cryogels based on pectin and chitosan were obtained by a cryotropic gelation method. Percentage of chitosan in the cryogels was estimated by elemental analysis. The obtained values were from 3.50 to 15.03 % for Apple pectin/Chitosan cryogels and from 9.44 to 17.64 % for Heracleum pectin/Chitosan cryogels. Internal structure and porosity of the cryogels were measured by scanning electron microscopy. According to the scanning electron microscopy, cryogels have a macroporous sheet-like structure. In the future, cryogels can be used in biotechnology and medicine as biocompatible, biodegradable materials.
-  Younes I, Rinaudo M; (2015) Chitin and Chitosan Preparation from Marine Sources. Structure, Properties and Applications. Marine Drugs, 13, 1133–1174. DOI: 10.3390/md13031133.
-  Mikhailov SN, Varlamov VP; (2013) Chitosan is biopolymer with unique properties. In: Skryabin KG, Mikhailov SN, Varlamov VP (eds), Chitosan, Centre “Bioengineering” RAS, Moscow, Russia, 5-17.
-  Ovodov YS; (2009) Current views on pectin substances. Russian Journal of Bioorganic Chemistry, 35(3), 269–284. DOI: 10.1134/S1068162009030017.
-  Coimbra P, Ferreira P, de Sousa HC, Batista P, Rodrigues M, Correia IJ, Gil MH; (2011) Preparation and chemical and biological characterization of a pectin/chitosan polyelectrolyte complex scaffold for possible bone tissue engineering applications. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 48(1), 112–8. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2010.10.006.
-  Pandey S, Mishra A, Raval P, Patel H, Gupta A, Shah D; (2013) Chitosan-pectin polyelectrolyte complex as a carrier for colon targeted drug delivery. Journal of Young Pharmacists : JYP, 5(4), 160–6. DOI: 10.1016/j.jyp.2013.11.002.
-  Das S, Chaudhury A, Ng K-Y; (2011) Preparation and evaluation of zinc-pectin-chitosan composite particles for drug delivery to the colon: role of chitosan in modifying in vitro and in vivo drug release. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 406(1-2), 11–20. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2010.12.015.
-  Oliveira GF, Ferrari PC, Carvalho LQ, Evangelista RC; (2010) Chitosan–pectin multiparticulate systems associated with enteric polymers for colonic drug delivery. Carbohydrate Polymers, 82(3), 1004–1009. DOI: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2010.06.041.
-  Kean T, Thanou M; (2010) Biodegradation, biodistribution and toxicity of chitosan. Advanced drug delivery reviews, 62(1), 3-11. DOI: 10.1016/j.addr.2009.09.004.
-  Shagdarova BTs, Il’ina AV, Varlamov VP; (2016) Antibacterial activity of alkylated and acylated derivatives of low–molecular weight chitosan. Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology, 52(2), 222–225. DOI: 10.1134/S0003683816020149.
-  Lim S-H, Hudson SM; (2004) Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of a water-soluble chitosan derivative with a fiber-reactive group. Carbohydrate Research, 339(2), 313–319. DOI: 10.1016/j.carres.2003.10.024.
-  Ilyina AV, Varlamov VP; (2004) Effect of physicochemical parameters on the formation of chitosan-based gels. Applied Biochemistry and Microbiology, 40(6), 599–602. DOI:10.1023/B:ABIM.0000046997.46480.88.
-  Wang W, Bo S, Li S, Qin W; (1991) Determination of the Mark-Houwink equation for chitosans with different degrees of deacetylation. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 13(5), 281–285. DOI: 10.1016/0141-8130(91)90027-R.
-  Lozinsky VI, Galaev IY, Plieva FM, Savina IN, Jungvid H, Mattiasson B; (2003) Polymeric cryogels as promising materials of biotechnological interest. Trends in Biotechnology, 21(10), 445–451. DOI: 10.1016/j.tibtech.2003.08.002.
-  Kastner H, Einhorn-Stoll U, Senge B; (2012) Structure formation in sugar containing pectin gels – Influence of Ca2+ on the gelation of low-methoxylated pectin at acidic pH. Food Hydrocolloids, 27(1), 42–49. DOI: 10.1016/j.foodhyd.2011.09.001.
Publication order reference