Investigation on the structural, optical and topographical behavior of Cadmium oxide polycrystalline thin films using electrochemical depositing method at different times
Languages of publication
The optical and structure properties of Cadmium oxide (CdO) thin film prepared by electrochemical deposition method at different times (15, 30 and 60) min were investigated in this paper. Results of optical Transmission, absorption, reflection spectra, optical conductance, refractive index, extension coefficient, real and imaginary dielectric constants studies are reported. The optical transmittance of the CdO thin film which formed at room temperature was 20% at wavelength ≈350 nm then increases to 60% at wavelength ≈1100 nm for thin film of CdO. The band-gap was also calculated from the equation relating absorption coefficient with the wavelength. The energy band gap changes from 2.3eV (Bulk CdO) to 2.45eV (CdO thin film). The plotted graphs show the optical characteristics of the film which varied with the wavelength and the photon energy. The optical conductance and band-gap indicated that the film is transmitting within the visible range. The dielectric constant and optical conductance of the film initially decreases slowly with increase in photon energy. The extinction coefficient and refractive index of the films also evaluated, which affected with the change in transmittance. The structure of synthesised CdO thin film was analyzed by X-ray diffraction XRD which revealed that the CdO thin film are polycrystalline and have several peaks of cubic face structure. The crystallite size, dislocation density, microstrain and number of dislocations of the thin film were calculated and listed.
-  Y. Hames and S. E. San, “CdO/Cu2O solar cells by chemical deposition”. Solar Energy, 77 (2004) 291-294.
-  F. P. Koffyberg, “Diffusion of donors in semiconducting CdO”. Solid State Common., 9 (1971) 2187-2189.
-  F. A. Benko and F. P. Koffyberg“, Quantum efficiency and optical transitions of CdO photoanodes”, Solid State Commun.,57 (1986) 901 - 903.
-  R.L. Mishra, A.K. Sharma, S.GPrakash, “Gas sensitivity and characterization of cadmium oxide semiconducting thin film deposited by spray pyrolysis technique,” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, 4 (2009) 511-518.
-  K. Gurumurugan, D. Mangalraj and S.K. Narayanandas, “Correlations between the optical and electrical properties of CdO thin films deposited by spray pyrolysis,” Thin Solid Films, 251 (1994) 7-9.
-  O. Gomezdaza, A. Arias-Carbajal Readigos, J. Campos, M. T. S. Nair, P. K. Nair, “Substrate spacing and thin - film yield in chemical bath deposition of semiconductor thin films,” Semicond. Sci. Technol. 15(11) (2000) 1022-1029.
-  D.C. Renolds, D. C. Look, B. Jogai, “Optically pumped ultraviolet lasing from ZnO,” Solid State Comm. 99 (1996) 873-875.
-  L. I. Popova, S. K. Andreev, V. K. Gurorguev, E. B. Manolov, “Resistance changes of SnO2 thin films suitable for microelectronic gas sensors,” Proceedings of the 20th international IEEE Conference on Microelectronics, 2 (1995) 581-583.
-  K.B. Sundaram, G. K. Bhagara, “Chemical vapor deposition of tin oxide films and their electrical properties,” J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 14 (1981) 333-338.
-  C. H. Bhosale, A. V. Kambale, A. V. Kokate and K. Y. Rajpure, “Structural, optical and electrical properties of chemically sprayed CdO thin films”. Mater. Science Eng. B, 122 (2005) 67-71.
-  A. Salehi, M. Gholizade, “Gas-sensing properties of indium-doped SnO2 thin films with variations in indium concentration,” Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 89 (2003) 173-179.
-  L. Znaidi, G. J. A. A. Soler Illia, S. Beyahia, C. Sanchez and A.V. Kanaev, “Oriented ZnO thin films synthesis by sol-gel process for laser application,” Thin Solid Films, 428 (2003) 257-262.
-  M. Santamaria, P. Bocchetta, F. D. Quarto, “Room temperature electrodeposition of photoactive Cd(OH)2 nanowires,” Electrochem. Commun. 11(2009) 580-584.
-  JCPDS "powder diffraction file" No. 96-101-1052".
-  Ruby Das and Suman Pandey, Comparison of Optical Properties of Bulk and Nano Crystalline Thin Films of CdS Using Different Precursors, International Journal of Material Science, 1 (2011) 35-40.
Publication order reference