Long-term response with everolimus for metastatic renal cell carcinoma refractory to sunitinib-sorafenib sequence
Languages of publication
We presented a 39-year-old male who developed progressive cancer disease 4 years after nephrectomy due to clear cell carcinoma. He was diagnosed with locally reccurence and metastases to the liver, spleen and abdominal muscles. The patient was treated with sunitinib and then after disease progression – with sorafenib. We observed 18 months of cancer control (TKI-TKI). After second progression everolimus was administered. Third line everolimus therapy helped to achieve durable stable disease with PFS 46 months till now (May 2015). The patient remains in very good performance status with minimal toxicity from the regimen. This case illustrates a long term survival for patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma, a malignancy with historically poor prognosis. The use of three sequential targeted therapies (TKI – TKI – mTORi) helped to achieve over 5 years or disease control, with rarely seen long-term response to third line treatment (mTORi) – where stabilization is good enough. We discussed therapeutic strategies in metastatic renal cell carcinoma according to the literature and therapeutic possibilities in Poland.
- Escudier B, Eisen T, Porta C et al. Renal cell carcinoma: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidlines for diagnosis, trestment and follow up. Ann Oncol 2012; 23(Suppl 7): vii65-71.
- Książek A, Załuska W. Nowotwory układu moczowego. W: Interna Szczeklika. Wydawnictwo Medycyna Praktyczna. Kraków 2012.
- Motzer RJ, Bacik J, Mazumdar M. Prognostic factors for survival of patients with stage IV renal cell carcinoma: memorial sloan-kettering cancer center experience. Clin Cancer Res 2004; 10(18 Pt 2): 6302S-3S.
- Escudier B, Pluzanska A, Koralewski P et al. Bevacizumab plus interferon alfa-2a for treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a randomised, double-blind phase III trial. Lancet 2007; 370(9605): 2103-11.
- Motzer RJ, Hutson TE, Tomczak P et al. Sunitinib versus interferon alfa in metastatic renal-cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med 2007; 356(2): 115-24.
- Escudier B, Eisen T, Stadler WM. Sorafenib in advanced clear-cell renal-cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2007; 356(2): 125-34.
- Escudier B, Eisen T, Stadler WM et al. Sorafenib for treatment of renal cell carcinoma: Final efficacy and safety results of the phase III treatment approaches in renal cancer global evaluation trial. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27(20): 3312-8.
- Sternberg CN, Davis ID. Mardiak J et al. Pazopanib in locally advanced or metastatic renal cell carcinoma: results of a randomized phase III trial. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28(6): 1061-8.
- Rini BI, Escudier B, Tomczak P et al. Comparative effectiveness of axitinib versus sorafenib in advanced renal cell carcinoma (AXIS): a randomised phase 3 trial.Lancet 2011; 378(9807): 1931-9.
- Motzer RJ,Escudier B, Oudart S et al. Efficacy of everolimus in advanced renal cell carcinoma: a double-blind, randomised, placebo- controlled phase III trial. Lancet 2008; 372(9637): 449-56.
- Calvo E, Escudier B, Motzer RJ et al. Everolimus in metastatic renal cell carcinoma: Subgroup analysis of patients with 1 or 2 previous vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-tyrosine kinase inhibitor therapies enrolled in the phase III RECORD-1 study. Eur J Cancer 2012; 48(3): 333-9.
- Motzer RJ, Hutson TE, Cella D et al. Pazopanib versus sunitinib in metastatic renal-cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med 2013; 369: 722-31.
- Iacovelli R, Verzoni E, De Braud F et al. First line treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: two standards with different toxicity profile. Cancer Biol Ther 2014; 15(1): 19-21.
- Calvani N, Morelli F, Chiuri V et al. Prolonged exposure to tyrosine kinase inhibitors or early use of everolimus in metastatic renal cell carcinoma: are the two options alike? Med Oncol 2013; 30(2): 578.
- Elaidi R, Harbaoui A, Beuselinck B et al. Outcomes from second-line therapy in long-term responders to first-line tyrosine kinase inhibitor in clear-cell metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Ann Oncol 2015; 26(2): 378-85.
- Heng DY, Signorovitch J, Swallow E et al. Comparative Effectiveness of Second-Line Targeted Therapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Real-World Observational Studies. PloS One 2014; 9(12): e114264.
- Calvo E, Grunwald V, Bellmunt J. Controversies in renal cell carcinoma: treatment choice after progression on vascular endothelial growth factor-targeted therapy. Eur J Cancer 2014; 50(7): 1321-9.
Publication order reference