Interrogative construction in Úwù
Languages of publication
Question formation is a universal phenomenon; it is indeed an integral part of the universal grammar. Every native speaker of a language has a way of making enquiries on issues that bother them. In this study, I examine the syntax of interrogative constructions in Úwù. I show that there are two types of interrogative constructions in the language namely polar and content question. I establish that polar question is derived through Intero which select IP/FinP as its complement to project maximally. I also show that the head of the content interrogative sentence is null like many Defoid –Kwa languages where content Intero head selects FocP as its complement. It is established in this study that unlike other Defoid –Kwa languages, Úwù content Intero head selects TopP as its direct complement. The study adopts the split CP hypothesis and the catographic analysis of Rizzi (1997 & 2001) for its analysis.
-  Abiodun M.A, Àhàn and Àyèré – Two Endangered Languages in Nigeria, Festschrift in Honour of Ezikeojiaku (2007) 1-10.
-  Abiodun M.A, Phonology in Ore Yusuf(ed.) Basic Linguistics for Nigerian Languages. Ijebu-Ode: Shebiotimo Publications (2010) 38-65.
-  Aboh E.O. and R. Pfau, What’s a Wh-word Got to Do with It? P. Beninca (ed.) Mapping the Left Periphery: The Cartography of Syyntactic Structure 5 (2011) 91-124.
-  Adeoye J. A, More on the Categorial Status of T(àbí) in Yorùbá Grammar. Journal of Language and Education 3(2) (2017) 1-8.
-  Ajiboye O.J, A Morpho-Syntactic Account of ni in Mọ̀bà Yorùbá. The Journal of West African Languages Vol. XXX111(2) (2006) 23-42.
-  Ajiboye O.J, A Comparative Study of Yes-No Question in Àwòrì, Igbomina, Ikale, Moba and Owe dialects of Yoruba, LINCOM Readings in African Dialectology and Applied Linguistics (2013) 3-24.
-  Akanbi T.A, A Descriptive Analysis of Àhàn Interrogative Sentences, Journal of West African Language 42 (1) (2015).
-  Akrofi-Ansah M, Focused Constituent Interrogatives in Larteh. Nordic Journal of African Studies, 19(2) (2010) 98-107
-  Aziza R.O, Urhobo Syntax in Ore Yusuf (ed.) Basic Linguistics for Nigerian Languages. Ijebu-Ode: Shebiotimo Publications (2010) 309-331
-  Goldsmith J, The Structure of WH-question in Igbo. Linguistic Analysis 7 (4) (1981)
-  Ileonu G.O, Igbo Syntax in Ore Yusuf (ed.). Basic Linguistics for Nigerian Languages. Ijebu-Ode: Shebiotimo Publications (2010) 202-227
-  Ilori J.F, Interrogative Projections in Yoruboid Languages. Journal of West African Languages 44(1) (2017) 1-21.
-  Maduagwu G.O, Interrogative Constructions: A Case for Content Question in Igbo. African Education Indices 4(1) (2012) 24-39.
-  Payne T.E, Describing Morphosyntax: A guide for field linguists. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (1997)
-  Rizzi Luigi, The Fine Structure of the Left Periphery. In Haegman. L. (ed.). Element of Grammar. Kluwer, Berkely, (1997) 281-337.
-  Rizzi Luigi, On the Position Int(errogative) in the Left Periphery of the Clause’ G. Cinque and G. Salvi (eds). Current Studies in Italian Syntax: Essay offered to Lovenzo Renzi, Elsevier-North Holland, Amsterdam (2001) 287-296.
-  Siemund P, Interrogative Constructions, In Haspelmath, M., E. König, W. Oesterricher and W. Raibe (eds), Language Typology and Language Universals. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter. (2001) 1010-1028.
-  Uwalaka M, Wh-Movement in Igbo, UCL Working Papers in Linguistics 3 (1982) 185-209
-  Yusuf O, Yoruba Syntax In Ore Yusuf (ed.) Basic Linguistics for Nigerian Languages. Ijebu-Ode: Shebiotimo Publications (2010) 82-108
Publication order reference