Antibiotic Susceptibility Profiling of Bacterial Biodiversity Associated with Urinary Tract Infections
Languages of publication
Urinary tract infections (UTI’s) are a bacterial infection that affects any part of the urinary tract. Urinary tract infection is one of the major diseases that affect people of all age groups and sexes and can be separated into asymptomatic and symptomatic. The normal urinary tract is sterile but gets infected with the normal flora and opportunistic pathogens. Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are a serious health problem affecting millions of people each year. This is the second most common type of infection in the body. In the present study 20 morphologically different bacterial isolates were recovered from 50 different urine samples from UTI’s patient. The prevalence of the isolates was varied with E. coli (40%), followed by Staphylococcus spp., Pseudomonas spp. and Klebsiella spp. each of (20%) respectively. All the isolates of different bacteria were tested for antibiotic sensitivity patterns against common antibiotics viz. Ampicillin, Tetracycline, Chloramphenicol, Vancomycin, Nitrofurontione and Ciprofloxacin with potencies of 30 μg each. The sensitive pattern of the isolates towards antibiotic Nitrofurontoine was (75%) followed by Tetracycline (55%) and Ciprofloxacin (45%). Intermediate activity was reported against Ampicillin (45%), Chloramphenicol and vancomycin (40%). Resistant pattern shown against vancomycin (60%), Chloramphenicol (45%), while both tetracycline and Ciprofloxacin shown (30%) against the UTI’s isolates. Therefore, drugs like Nitrofurontoine, Tetracycline and Ciprofloxacin are the most effective choices against the common UTI’s isolates.
-  Mysorekar IU, Scott JH. Mechanisms of uropathogenic Escherichia coli persistence and eradication from the urinary tract. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci 2006; 103: 14170-5
-  Gopal M, Northington G, Arya L. Clinical symptoms predictive of recurrent urinary tract infections. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol 2007; 197: 74-78
-  Lawrentschuk N, Ooi J, Pang A, Naidu KS, Bolton DM. Cystoscopy in women with recurrent urinary tract infection. Int. J. Urol 2006; 13: 350-355
-  Mohsin R, Siddiqui KM. Recurrent urinary tract infections in females. J. Pak. Med. Assoc 2010; 60: 55-59
-  Geetha RV, Roy A, Lakshmi T. Nature’s weapon against urinary tract infections. Int. J. Drug Dev. & Res 2011; 3: 85-100
-  Khoshbahkt R, Salimi A, Aski SH, Keshavarzi H. Antibiotic Susceptibility of Bacterial Strains Isolated from Urinay Tract Infection in araj, Iran. Jundishapur. J. Microbiol 2013; 6(1): 86-90
-  Noor N, Ajaz M, Rasool SA, and Pirzada, ZA. Urinary tract infections associated with multidrug resistant enteric bacilli: characterization and genetical studies. Pak. J. Pharm. Sci 2013; 17: 115-123
-  Gupta K, Hooton TM, Naber KG, Wullt B, Colgan R, Miller LG. International clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis in women: A 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the European Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. Clin Infect Dis 2011; 52: 103-120
-  M. Grabe, T.E. Bjerklund-Johansen, H. Botto, M. Çek, K.G. Naber, P. Tenke, F. Wagenlehner. Guidelines on urological infections. European Association of Urology 182 (2015) 237-257
-  Nicolle LE, Bradley S, Colgan R, Rice JC, Schaeffer A, Hooton TM. Infectious Diseases Society of America guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria in adults. Clin Infect Dis 2005; 40: 643-654
-  Das SK, Chakraborty PS, Mandal D, Roy S. isolation and characterization of multi drug resistant Uropathogenic Escherichia coli from urine sample of Urinary tract infected patients. Int. J. Lif. Sci. Phrm. Researc 2012; 2: 25-39
-  Falagas ME, Kotsantis IK, Vouloumanou EK, Rafailidis PI. Antibiotics versus placebo in the treatment of women with uncomplicated cystitis: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Infect 2009; 58: 91–102
-  Richards D, Toop L, Chambers S, Fletche L. Response to antibiotics of women with symptoms of urinary tract infection but negative dipstick urine test results: double blind randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2005; 16: 331
-  Christiaens TC, De Meyere M, Verschraegen G, Peersma W, Heytens S, De Maeseneer JM. Randomised controlled trial of nitrofurantoin versus placebo in the treatment of uncomplicated urinary tract infection in adult women. Br J Gen Pract 2002; 52: 729-734
-  Metlay JP, Strom BL, Asch DA. Prior antimicrobial drug exposure: a risk factor for trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole-resistant urinary tract infections. J Antimicrob Chemother 2003; 51: 963-970
-  Jones RN, Inabo HI, Obanibi HBI. Antimicrobial susceptibility of some urinary tract clinical isolates to commonly used antibiotics. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 2006; 5(5): 487-489
-  El-Sweih N, Jamal W, Rotimi VO. Spectrum and antibiotic resistance of uropathogens isolated from hospital and community patients with urinary tract infections in two large hospitals in Kuwait. Med. Principl. Pract 2008; 14: 401-407
-  Kolawale AS, Kolawale OM, Kandaki-Olukemi YT, Babatunde SK, Durowade KA, Kplawale, CF. Prevalence of urinary tract infections among patients attending Dalhatu Araf Specialist Hospital, Lafia, Nasarawa State, Nigeria. Int. J. Med. Med. Sci 2009; 1(5):163-167.
-  Nakhjavani FA, Mirsalehian A, Hamidian M, Kazemi B, Mirafshar M, Jabalameti, F. Antimicrobial susceptibility testing for Escherichia coli strains to fluoroquinolones in urinary tract infections. Iran. J. Public Health 2007; 36(1): 89-92
-  Ekeoma Nmesoma Blessing, Ihenetu Stanley Chukwuemeka, Ukeachu Chigozie David, Ubah Gerald Onuawuchi. Antibacterial properties of probiotics bacterial isolated from human breast milk. World News of Natural Sciences 29(2) (2020) 290-297
-  Hardik K. Senjani, H. D. Joshi, Synthesis and characterization of diversely substituted pyrimidine-3-carboxamide and their antimicrobial evaluation. World Scientific News 150 (2020) 39-77
-  Omigie O, Okoror L, Umolu P, Ikuuh G. Increasing resistance to Quinolones: A four year prospective study of urinary infection pathogens. Int. J. Gen. Med 2009; 2: 171-175.
-  Saffar MJ, Enayti AA, Abdolla IA, Razai MS Saffar H. Antibacterial susceptibility of uropathogens in 3 hospitals, Sari, Iran, 2002-2003. Eastern Mediterranean Health J 2008; p.14.
Publication order reference