STATE OF WATER IN CITRATE CROSSLINKED CHITOSAN MEMBRANE
Languages of publication
The ionically crosslinked membranes were prepared of chitosan (Ch) and trisodium citrate (Ch/CIT). The characteristics of the state of water in crosslinked and uncrosslinked chitosan membranes with different water content was performed by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). The kinetics of water swelling in Ch and Ch/CIT membranes were also studied. Conclusions concerning effect of ionic crosslinking on the state of water in chitosan hydrogel membranes were drawn out. Results shows that freezable and non-freezable water exist in analysed Ch and Ch/CIT membranes, while there are variations in the amount of non-freezing bound water in these polymers.
33 - 40
- Struszczyk M. H.; (2002) Chitin and chitosan. Part I. Properties and production. Polimery (Warsaw) 47, pp. 316-325.
- Pieróg M., Gierszewska-Drużyńska M., Ostrowska-Czubenko J.; (2009) Effect of ionic crosslinking agents on swelling behavior of chitosan hydrogel membranes. In: Jaworska M. M. (ed), Progress on Chemistry and Application of Chitin and its Derivatives. Vol. XIV, Polish Chitin Society, Łódź 2009, pp. 75-82.
- Ostrowska-Czubenko J., Pieróg M.; (2009) Synthesis and characteristics of chemically modified chitosan membranes with sulfuric acid. Polish J Appl Chem 53, pp. 155-160.
- Rao C. N. R.; (1963) Chemical Application of Infrared Spectroscopy. Academic Press, New York.
- Pawlak A., Mucha M.; (2003) Thermogravimetric and FTIR studies of chitosan blends. Thermochim Acta 396, pp. 153–166.
- Pearson F. G., Marchessault R. H., Liang C. Y.; (1960) Infrared spectra of crystalline polysaccharides. V. Chitin. J Polym Sci 43, pp. 101-116.
- Higuchi A., Komiyama J., Iijima T.; (1984) The states of water in gel cellophane membranes. Polym Bull 11, pp. 203-208.
- Hodge R. M., Edward G. H., Simon G. P.; (1996) Water absorption and states of water in semicrystalline poly(vinyl alcohol) films. Polymer 37, pp. 1371-1376.
Publication order reference