List of ornamental and useful plants cultivated on Huahine Island, French Polynesia. Part 2
Languages of publication
In the traditional culture of the Polynesians, the unity of nature and the human being regarded as its part was something obvious. A significant part of the flora and fauna of the Polynesian island of Huahine had a quasi-religious character, playing the role of a taboo, objects of culture, landmarks, and not infrequently even being used as medicine. The colonisation of Polynesia by European nations led to profound changes, also in the way the relation between a human being and nature was perceived, making the character of the latter more utilitarian. Elements of the Polynesian flora became a sought-after raw material in the woodworking industry, the furniture industry, and the cosmetics and perfume industry. The paper discusses selected elements of the flora of the Polynesian islands and the changes in the way they have been perceived and used.
-  Jerzy Borowski, Piotr Salachna, Agnieszka Zawadzińska, List of ornamental and useful plants cultivated on Huahine Island, French Polynesia. Part 1. World News of Natural Sciences 26 (2019) 36-51
-  Hanna B. Margońska, Orchidaceae of Îles de la Société (Polynesia Française). Actualized checklist. World News of Natural Sciences 6 (2019) 20-28
-  Hanna B. Margońska, Orchidaceae of archipelagos Tuamotu and Gambier (Polynesia Française). World News of Natural Sciences 27 (2019) 121-127
-  W. Arthur Whistler and Craig R. Elevitch. Fagraea berteroana (pua kenikeni). Species Profiles for Pacific Island Agroforestry. 3.2 (2006) 1-11
-  Dotte-Sarout, E. Evidence of forest management and arboriculture from wood charcoal data: an anthracological case study from two New Caledonia Kanak pre-colonial sites. Veget Hist Archaeobot 26, 195–211 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00334-016-0580-0
-  M Habsah, AM Ali, NH Lajis, MA Sukari, YH Yap, H Kikuzaki, N Nakatani. Antitumour-Promoting and Cytotoxic Constituents of Etlingera Elatior. Malays J Med Sci. 2005 Jan; 12(1): 6–12
-  Subramanion Jo Thy Lachumy, Sreenivasan Sasidharan, VelloSumathy, Zakaria Zuraini. Pharmacological activity, phytochemical analysis and toxicity of methanol extract of Etlingera elatior (torch ginger) flowers. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine Volume 3, Issue 10, October 2010, Pages 769-774
-  Ghasemzadeh, A., Jaafar, H.Z.E., Rahmat, A. et al. Secondary metabolites constituents and antioxidant, anticancer and antibacterial activities of Etlingera elatior (Jack) R.M.Sm grown in different locations of Malaysia. BMC Complement Altern Med 15, 335 (2015).
-  Meng, L., Song, J., Wen, J. et al. Effects of drought stress on fluorescence characteristics of photosystem II in leaves of Plectranthus scutellarioides. Photosynthetica 54, 414–421 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11099-016-0191-0
-  Sylvian Cretton, Noémie Saraux, Aymeric Monteillier, Davide Righi, Laurence Marcourt, Grégory Genta-Jouve, Jean-Luc Wolfender, Muriel Cuendet, Philippe Christen. Anti-inflammatory and antiproliferative diterpenoids from Plectranthus scutellarioides. Phytochemistry Volume 154, October 2018, Pages 39-46
-  Daizy Philip. Green synthesis of gold and silver nanoparticles using Hibiscus rosa sinensis. Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures Volume 42, Issue 5, March 2010, Pages 1417-1424
-  Egilla, J.N., Davies, F.T. & Boutton, T.W. Drought stress influences leaf water content, photosynthesis, and water-use efficiency of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis at three potassium concentrations. Photosynthetica 43, 135–140 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11099-005-5140-2
-  Egilla, J.N., Davies, F.T. & Drew, M.C. Effect of potassium on drought resistance of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis cv. Leprechaun: Plant growth, leaf macro- and micronutrient content and root longevity. Plant and Soil 229, 213–224 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004883032383
-  E.O. Awe, A. Adeloye, T. Idowu, O.A. Olajide, J. Makinde. Antinociceptive effect of Russelia equisetiformis leave extracts: Identification of its active constituents. Phytomedicine Volume 15, Issue 4, 25 April 2008, Pages 301-305
-  Ochi, M., Matsunami, K., Otsuka, H. et al. A new iridoid glycoside and NO production inhibitory activity of compounds isolated from Russelia equisetiformis. J Nat Med 66, 227–232 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11418-011-0569-z
-  Illg, R.D., Faria, R.T. Micropropagation of Alpinia purpurata from inflorescence buds. Plant Cell Tiss Organ Cult 40, 183–185 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00037673
-  Camila Soledade de Lira, Emmanuel Viana Pontual, Lidiane Pereira de Albuquerque, Laura Mesquita Paiva, Patrícia Maria Guedes Paiva, José Vargasde Oliveira, Thiago Henrique Napoleão, Daniela Maria do Amaral Ferraz Navarro. Evaluation of the toxicity of essential oil from Alpinia purpurata inflorescences to Sitophilus zeamais (maize weevil). Crop Protection Volume 71, May 2015, Pages 95-100
-  L. Fereol, S. Louis & A. Luce (1996) Effects of gamma radiation on in vitro plantlets of Alpinia purpurata. Journal of Horticultural Science, 71:2, 243-247, DOI: 10.1080/14620316.1996.11515402
-  Zhang, J., Borth, W.B., Lin, B. et al. Deep sequencing of banana bract mosaic virus from flowering ginger (Alpinia purpurata) and development of an immunocapture RT-LAMP detection assay. Arch Virol 161, 1783–1795 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-016-2830-y
-  M. Umamaheswari, K. Asokkumar, R. Rathidevi, A.T.S ivashanmugam, V. Subhadradevi, T.K .Ravi. Antiulcer and in vitro antioxidant activities of Jasminum grandiflorum L. Journal of Ethnopharmacology Volume 110, Issue 3, 4 April 2007, Pages 464-470
-  Chaturvedi, A.P., Tripathi, Y.B. Methanolic extract of leaves of Jasminum grandiflorum Linn modulates oxidative stress and inflammatory mediators. Inflammopharmacol 19, 273 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10787-011-0087-3
-  Emmanuel Mfotie Njoya, Paul F. Moundipa and Helga Stopper, in vitro genotoxic and mutagenic evaluation of the aqueous extract of Codiaeum variegatum and its amoebicidal sub-fraction, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 10.1016/j.jep.2014.06.038, 155, 1, (823-829), (2014).
-  Y. S. Mahesh, K. S. Shankarappa, K.T. Rangaswamy, H. A. Prameela, D. S. Aswathanarayana, B. L. Divya, N. Nagesha & M. N. Maruthi (2010) Detection and characterisation of a begomovirus associated with leaf curl disease of ornamental croton (Codiaeum variegatum), The Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, 85:2, 101-105, DOI: 10.1080/14620316.2010.11512638
-  Xu, Y., Luo, Z., Gao, S. et al. Pollination niche availability facilitates colonization of Guettarda speciosa with heteromorphic self-incompatibility on oceanic islands. Sci Rep 8, 13765 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-32143-5
-  Pannell, J. R. Evolution of the mating system in colonizing plants. Mol Ecol 24, 2018–2037 (2015).
-  Grossenbacher, D. L. et al. Self-compatibility is over-represented on islands. New Phytol 215, 469–478 (2017).
-  Johnson, S. D. & Raguso, R. A. The long-tongued hawkmoth pollinator niche for native and invasive plants in Africa. Ann Bot 117, 25–36 (2016).
-  Nakanishi, H. Dispersal ecology of the maritime plants in the Ryukyu Islands, Japan. Ecol. Res. 3, 163–173 (1988). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02346937
-  H.C. Ong, T.M.I. Mahlia, H.H. Masjuki, R.S. Norhasyima. Comparison of palm oil, Jatropha curcas and Calophyllum inophyllum for biodiesel: A revi. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews Volume 15, Issue 8, October 2011, Pages 3501-3515
-  Hwai Chyuan Ong, H.H. Masjuki, T.M.I. Mahlia, A.S. Silitonga, W.T. Chong, K.Y. Leong. Optimization of biodiesel production and engine performance from high free fatty acid Calophyllum inophyllum oil in CI diesel engine. Energy Conversion and Management Volume 81, May 2014, Pages 30-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2014.01.065
-  Qi Xiao, Yan-Bo Zeng, Wen-Li Mei, You-Xing Zhao, Yuan-Yuan Deng & Hao-Fu Dai (2008) Cytotoxic prenylated xanthones from Calophyllum inophyllum. Journal of Asian Natural Products Research, 10:10, 993-997, DOI: 10.1080/10519990802240387
-  B. Ashok, K. Nanthagopal, A.K. Jeevanantham, Pathikrit Bhowmick, Dhruv Malhotra, Pranjal Agarwal. An assessment of calophyllum inophyllum biodiesel fuelled diesel engine characteristics using novel antioxidant additives. Energy Conversion and Management Volume 148, 15 September 2017, Pages 935-943. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2017.06.049
Publication order reference