Lapatinib in the treatment of advanced HER2-positive breast cancer
Languages of publication
The overexpression of the HER2 receptor and its gene amplification are observed in c. 20% of newly diagnosed cases of breast cancer and associated with a more aggressive clinical course and poorer prognosis. New HER2-targeted drugs, such as lapatinib, pertuzumab and trastuzumab emtansine, significantly improve patient outcomes. The article reviews the role of lapatinib in HER-targeted therapy and describes the treatment sequence of two women with HER2-positive advanced breast cancer.
- 1. Brufsky A. Trastuzumab-based therapy for patients with HER2-positive breast cancer: from early scientific development to foundation of care. Am J Clin Oncol 2010; 33: 186-195.
- 2. Mariani G, Fasolo A, De Benedictis E. Trastuzumab as adjuvant systemic therapy for HER2-positive breast cancer. Nat Clin Pract Oncol 2009; 6: 93-104.
- 3. Geyer CE, Forster J, Lindquist D et al. Lapatinib plus capecitabine for HER2-positive advanced breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2006; 355: 2733-2743.
- 4. Cameron D, Casey M, Press M et al. A phase III randomized comparison of lapatinib plus capecitabine versus capecitabine alone in women with advanced breast cancer that has progressed on trastuzumab: updated efficacy and biomarker analyses. Breast Cancer Res. Treat 2008; 112: 533-543.
- 5. Capri G, Chang J, Chen S et al. An open-label expanded access study of lapatinib and capecitabine in patients with HER2 overexpressing locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer. Ann Oncol 2010; 21: 474-480.
- 6. Zhou X, Cella D, Cameron D et al. Lapatinib plus capecitabine versus capecitabine alone for HER2+ (ErbB2+) metastatic breast cancer: quality- of-life assessment. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2009; 117: 577-589.
- 7. Perez EA, Koehler M, Byrne J et al. Cardiac safety of lapatinib: pooled analysis of 3689 patients enrolled in clinical trials. Mayo Clin Proc 2008; 83: 679-686.
- 8. Sendur MA, Aksoy S, Altundag K. Cardiotoxicity of novel HER2-targeted therapies. Curr. Med Res Opin 2013; 29(8): 1015-1024.
- 9. Johnston S, Pippen J, Pivot X et al. Lapatinib combined with letrozol versus letrozol and placebo as first line therapy for postmenopausal hormone- receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27: 5538-5546.
- 10. Bendell J, Domchek S, Burstein HJ et al. Central nervous system metastases in women who receive trastuzumab-based therapy for metastatic breast carcinoma. Cancer 2003; 97: 2972-2977.
- 11. Lai R, Dang CT, Malkin MG et al. The risk of central nervous system metastases after trastuzumab therapy in patients with breast carcinoma. Cancer 2004; 15: 810-816.
- 12. Stemmler HJ, Kahlert S, Siekiera W. Characteristics of patients with brain metastases receiving trastuzumab for HER2 overexpressing metastatic breast cancer. Breast 2006; 15: 219-225.
- 13. Duchnowska R, Dziadziuszko R, Czartoryska-Arłukowicz B et al. Risk factors for brain relapse in HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2009; 117: 297-303.
- 14. Burstein HJ, Lieberman G, Slamon DJ. Isolated central nervous system metastases in patients with HER2 overexpressing advanced breast cancer treated with first-line trastuzumab based therapy. Ann Oncol 2005; 16: 1772-1777.
- 15. Lin NU, Diéras V, Paul D et al. Multicenter phase II study of lapatinib in patients with brain metastases from HER2-positive breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2009; 15: 1452-1459.
- 16. Boccardo F, Kaufman B, Baselga J et al. Evaluation of lapatinib plus capecitabine in patients with brain metastases from HER2+ breast cancer enrolled in the Lapatinib Expanded Access Program (LEAP) and French Authorisation Temporaire d’Utilisation (ATU) ASCO Conference, May 30–June 3, 2008.
- 17. Sutherland S, Ashley S, Miles D et al. Treatment of HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer with lapatinib and capecitabine in the lapatinib expanded access programme, including efficacy in brain metastases — the UK experience. Br J Cancer 2010; 102: 995-1002.
- 18. Bachelot TD, Romieu G, Campone M et al. Lapatinib plus capecitabine in patients with previously untreated brain metastases from HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer (LANDSCAPE): a single-group phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol 2013; 14(1): 64-71.
Publication order reference