Kinetics and Thermodynamic Studies of Corrosion Inhibition of Mild Steel Using Methanolic Extract of Erigeron floribundus (Kunth) in 2 M HCl Solution
Languages of publication
The investigation of kinetics and thermodynamic of the corrosion of mild steel in 2 M HCl solution using methanolic extract of Erigeron floribundus was carried out using gravimetric techniques. The results obtained indicated that the extract retarded the corrosion of mild steel in 2 M HCl solution. The inhibition efficiency increases with increase in concentration of the inhibitor and increase in temperature. The values of activation energy (Ea) obtained indicated chemisorptions mechanism whereas the value of Gibb free energy (ΔGoads) indicated a spontaneous adsorption of the extract components on the metal surface. Kinetic modeling of the experimental data obeyed first order reaction. The adsorption of methanolic extract of Erigeron floribundus onto the mild steel surface followed Langmuir adsorption isotherm model. Therefore the extract functioned as good corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in hydrochloric acid.
-  N. O. Eddy, S. A. Odoemelam, I. N. Ama, Ethanol extract of ocimum gratissimum as a green corrosion inhabitor for the corrosion of mild steel in H2SO4. Green Chem. Lett. Rev. 3 (2010) 165-172.
-  N. O. Eddy, P. A. Mamza, Inhibitive and adsorption properties of ethanol extract of seeds and leaves of Azadirachta indica on the corrosion of mild steel in H2SO4. Electrochem. Acta 27 (2009) 443-456.
-  N. O. Eddy, E. E. Ebenso, Corrosion inhibition and adsorption properties of ethanol extract of Gongronema latifoliumon mild steel in H2SO4. Pigm. Resin. Tech. 39 (2010) 77-83.
-  A. W. Elyn-Amira, A. A. Rahim, H. Osman, K. Awang, P. B. Raja, Corrosion inhibition of mild steel in I M HCl solution by Xylopia ferruginea leave from different extract and partition. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 6 (2011) 2998-3016.
-  Y. J. H. Galani, J. Nguefack, D. C. Dakole, D. Patchayo, F. R. Fouelefack, P. H. Amvan Zello, Antifungal potential and phytochemical analysis of extracts from seven Cameroonian plants against late blight pathogens phytophthora infestans. Int. J. Curr. Micr. and App. Sci. 2 (2013) 140-154.
-  F. H. Trabi, M. W. Kone, N. F. Kuoame, Antifungi activity of Erigeron floribundus from Cote d lvoire West Africa. Tropical J. Pharm. Res. 7 (2008) 975-979.
-  P. C. Okafor, E. E. Ebenso, U. J. Ekpe, Azadirachta indica extracts as corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in acid medium. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 5 (2010) 978-993.
-  B. U. Ugi, F. E. Abeng, Corrosion inhibition effects and Adsorption characteristics of ethanol extract of king Bitter root (Andrographis paniculata on mild steel in 1.0 M HCl and H2SO4 acid media. Fountain J. Nat. Appl. Sci. 2 (2013) 10-21.
-  F. E. Abeng, P. J. Nna, U. J. Ekpe, Corrosion inhibitive properties and adsorption of ethanol extract of Phyllanthus amarus on mild steel in HCl. Reiko Int. J. Sci. Tech. Res. 5 (2014) 33-42.
-  P. S. Desai, S. M. Kapopara, Inhibitory Action of Xylenol Orange on Aluminium in HCl solution. Indian J. Chem. Tech. 21 (2014) 139-145.
-  S. F. Desouza, S. R. Goncalves, A. spinelli, Assessment of caffeine Adsorption onto mild steel surface as an Eco-friendly corrosion inhabitor. J. Brazil Chem. Soci. 25 (2014) 81-90.
-  O. O. Fadare, A. E. Okoronkwo, E. F. Olasehinde, Assessment of anticorrosion potential of extract ficus aspertoliamiq (moraceae) on mild steel in acidic medium, Afr. J. Pure Appl. Chem. 10 (2016) 8-22.
-  K. C. Ferreira, F. B. Cordeiro, J. C. Nuries, H. Orofino, M. Magalhaes, A. G. Torres, E. D. Elia, Corrosion inhibition of carbon steel in HCl solution by Aqueous Brown onion peel extract. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 11 (2016) 406-418.
-  G. A. Ijuo, H. F. Chanhul, I. S. Energy, Kinetic and Thermodynamic studies of corrosion inhibition of mild steel using Bridelia ferruginea extract in acidic environment. J. Adv. Electrochem. 2 (2016) 107-112.
-  P. Arockiasamy, X. Queen Rosart Sheela, G. Thenmozhi, M. Franco, W. J. Sahayaraj, R. Jaya Santhi, Evaluation of corrosion inhibition of mild steel in 1 M HCl solution by Molligo cerviana. Int. J Corros. 5 (2014) 6791-6798.
-  F. E. Abeng, U. J. Ekpe, A. I. Ikeuba, B. U. Ugi, P. J. Nna, Inhibitive action of alkaloids and non alkaloid fraction of ethanolic extracts of Phyllanthus amarus on the corrosion of mild steel in HCl solution. Global J. Pure Appl. Sci. 19 (2013) 107-117.
-  P. Atkins, J. Depaula, Physical Chemistry. Eight Ed., Oxfort Press, Oxfort, 2010.
Publication order reference