Evolution of the electronic monitoring in Poland
Languages of publication
Electronic monitoring is a new solution in Polish penal law. It should be noted that the electronic monitoring was initiated in the United States of America by psychologist Ralph Schwitzgebel in 1964. In Poland the system of electronic monitoring appeared in a later period of time. One of the basic legislator’s purposes was to reduce overcrowding in prisons. This institution was used from the date of the entry into force of the Act of 7 September 2007 about serving a sentence of imprisonment outside prison in the system of electronic monitoring (Dz. U. 2007, No. 191, item. 1366), which was experimental. The next important legislative changes concerning the electronic monitoring have been introduced as a result of the amendment of 1 July 2015 and the amendment of 15 April 2016.
-  W. D. Burrell, R. S. Gable, From B. F. Skinner to Spiderman to Martha Stewart: The Past, Present and Future of Electronic Monitoring of Offenders. Journal of Offender Rehabilitation vol. 46 Numbers 3/4 (2008) 101-118.
-  M. Carney, Correction through Omniscience: Electronic Monitoring and the Escalation of Crime Control. Washington University Journal of Law & Policy vol. 40 (2012) 279-305.
-  M. M. Feeley, Entrepreneurs of Punishment: How Private Contractors Made and Are Remaking the Modern Criminal Justice System – An Account of Convict Transportation and Electronic Monitoring. The Journal Criminology, Criminal Justice, Law & Society vol. 17 (2016) 1-30.
-  R. G. Fox, Dr Schwitzgebel’s machine revisited: electronic monitoring of offenders. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Criminology vol. 20 (1987) 131-147.
-  R. S. Gable, Left to their own devices: should manufacturers of offender monitoring equipment be liable for design defect? Journal of Law, Technology & Policy (2009) 333-362.
-  S. Mainprize, Elective Affinities in the Engineering of Social Control: The Evolution of Electronic Monitoring. Electronic Journal of Sociology (November 1996). http://www.sociology.org/content/vol002.002/mainprize_d.html
Publication order reference