Review on integrated pest management of important disease and insect pest of rice (Oryzae sativa L.)
Languages of publication
Rice (Oryzae sativa L.) is one of important crops in the world and Ethiopia. Productivity of rice is decreasing due to different factors. It is second in production next to wheat in the world and almost half of world population and 90% of south Asia countries use rice. Disease like Rice blast and insect pests like stem borer are important pests for reduction of rice productivity. Integrated rice pest management (IPM) is the best method to solve problems of pests and it is combination of different methods to control pests in sound environmental management and cost effective way. Control methods like resistant cultivars, healthy seed, fertilizer management, cultural systems, burning or composting of diseased tissues and chemical control are commonly used.
-  Abdu S, Nonglak P, Prapa Sripichitt and Sreewongchai T. Identification of blast resistant varieties from landrace, improved and wild species of rice. Thailand. Kasetsart J. Nat. Sci. ( 2013) 47: 1–7.
-  Borromeo E.S, Nelson R.J, Bonman J.M, Leung H. Genetic differentiation among isolates of Magnaporthe grisea infecting rice and weed hosts. Phythopathology (1993) 83, 393-399.
-  Couch, B. C. and Kohn, L. M. A multilocus gene genealogy concordant with host preference indicates segregation of a new species, Magnaporthe oryzae, from M. grisea. Mycologia (2002) 94, 683-693.
-  Jamal-u-ddin Hajano G, Serwar Shah M, Ali Khanzada, Mubeen Lodhi and Mumtaz Pathan. In-vitro evaluation of fungicides, plant extracts and bio-control agents against rice blast pathogen, Magnaporthe oryzae couch. Sindh Agriculture University, Tandojam, Sindh, Pakistan. Pak. J. Bot. (2012) 44(5): 1775-1778.
-  Jia, Y., Lee, F.N. and McClung, A. Determination of resistance spectra of the Pi-ta and Pi-k genes to U.S. races of Magnaporthe oryzae causing rice blast in a recombinant inbred line population. Plant Disease (2009) 93, 639–644.
-  John Fielding. Rice production constraints and new challenges for South Asian smallholders: insights into de facto research priorities. Agriculture & Food Security (2014) 3: 18.
-  Khush, G.S. What it will take to feed 5.0 billion rice consumers in 2030. Plant Molecular Biology (2005) 59, 1–6.
-  Liu H, Yang W, Hu B, Liu F. Virulence analysis and race classification of Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae in China. Journal of Phytopathology (2007) 155:129-135.
-  Mebratu Gebremariam Asfaha, Thangavel Selvaraj and Getaneh Woldeab. Assessment of disease intensity and isolates characterization of blast disease (Pyricularia oryzae CAV.) from South West of Ethiopia. Int. J. of Life Sciences (2015) Vol. 3(4)
-  Piotti E, Rigano MM, Rodino D, Rodolfi M, Castiglione S, Picco AM and Sala F. Genetic structure of Pyricularia grisea (Cooke) Sacc. isolates from Italian paddy fields. Journal of Phytopathology (2005) 153: 80–86.
-  Sarwar M. Effects of Zinc fertilizer application on the incidence of rice stem borers (Scirpophaga species) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) in rice (Oryza sativa L.) crop. J. Cereals and Oilseeds, (2011) 2(5): 61-65.
-  Seck, P.A., Diagne, A., Mohanty, S. and Wopereis, M.C.S. Crops that feed the world 7: rice. Food Security (2012) 4, 7–24.
-  Zhu, Y.-Y., Fang, H., Wang, Y.-Y., Fan, J.X., Yang, S.-S., Mew, T.W. and Mundt, C.C. Panicle blast and canopy moisture in rice cultivar mixtures. Phytopathology (2005) 95, 433–438.
-  Jingbo Zhang, Kangquan Yin, Juan Sun, Jinlan Gao, Qiuli Du, Huali Li and Jin‐Long Qiu, Direct and tunable modulation of protein levels in rice and wheat with a synthetic small molecule, Plant Biotechnology Journal, 16, 2, (472-481), (2017).
-  Rengasamy Ramamoorthy, Bhushan Vishal, Srinivasan Ramachandran and Prakash P. Kumar, The OsPS1-F gene regulates growth and development in rice by modulating photosynthetic electron transport rate, Plant Cell Reports, 37, 2, (377), (2018).
-  Weixun Wu, Yingxin Zhang, Miao Zhang, Xiaodeng Zhan, Xihong Shen, Ping Yu, Daibo Chen, Qunen Liu, Sittipun Sinumporn, Kashif Hussain, Shihua Cheng and Liyong Cao, The rice CONSTANS-like protein OsCOL15 suppresses flowering by promoting Ghd7 and repressing RID1, Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 495, 1, (1349), (2018)
-  Michael Gomez Selvaraj, Milton Orlando Valencia, Satoshi Ogawa, Yingzhi Lu, Liying Wu, Christopher Downs, Wayne Skinner, Zhongjin Lu, Jean C. Kridl, Manabu Ishitani and Jos Boxtel, Development and field performance of nitrogen use efficient rice lines for Africa, Plant Biotechnology Journal, 15, 6, (775-787), (2017).
-  Peng Cui, Hongbo Liu, Songlin Ruan, Basharat Ali, Rafaqat Ali Gill, Huasheng Ma, Zhifu Zheng and Weijun Zhou, A zinc finger protein, interacted with cyclophilin, affects root development via IAA pathway in rice, Journal of Integrative Plant Biology, 59, 7, (496-505), (2017).
-  Fujimoto H, Itoh K, Yamamoto M, Kyozuka J and Shimamoto K (1993) Insect resistance rice generated by introduction of modified δ-endotoxin gene of Bacillus thuringiensis. Bio/Technology 11: 1151–1155.
-  Ghareyazie B, Alinia F, Menguito CA, Rubia LG, de Palma JM, Liwanag EA et al. (1997) Enhanced resistance to two stem borers in an aromatic rice containing a synthetic cry1a(b) gene. Mol Breed 3: 401–414.
-  Khanna HK, Raina SK, Srinivasulu and Kumar K (1997) Biolistic transformation of elite indica rice (Oryzae sativa L.) cultivars through semi-solid and liquid medium selection systems. J Plant Biochem Biotechnol 6: 75–80.
-  Khanna HK and Raina SK (1999) Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of indica rice cultivars using binary and superbinary vectors. Aust J Plant Physiol 26: 311–324.
-  Ye GY, Shu QY, Yao HW, Cui HR, Cheng XY, Hu C et al. (2001) Field evaluation of resistance of transgenic rice containing a synthetic cry1Ab gene from Bacillus thuringiensis Berliner to two stem borers. J Econ Entomol 94: 271–276.
-  Jovito P Bandong & James A Litsinger. Rice crop stage susceptibility to the rice yellow stemborer Scirpophaga incertulas (Walker) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). International Journal of Pest Management Volume 51, 2005 - Issue 1, Pages 37-43
-  Kaufman, PB, Dayanandan, P, Franklin, CI and Takeoka, Y. 1985. Structure and function of silica bodies in the epidermal system of grass shoots. Annals of Botany, 55: 487–505
-  Litsinger, JA, Canapi, BL, Bandong, JP, Dela Cruz, CG, Apostol, RF, Pantua, PC, Lumaban, MD, Alviola, III, AL, Raymundo, F, Libetario, EM, Loevinsohn, ME and Joshi, RC. 1987. Rice crop loss from insect pests in wetland and dryland environments of Asia with emphasis on the Philippines. Insect Science and its Application, 8: 677–92.
-  Ponnamperuma, FN. 1977. Screening rice for tolerance to mineral stresses. IRRI Research Paper Series, 6: 1–21.
-  Savant, N, Snyder, GH and Datnoff, LE. 1997. Silicon management and sustainable rice production. Advances in Agronomy, 58: 151–99.
-  Viajante, VD and Heinrichs, EA. 1987. Plant age effect of rice cultivar IR46 on susceptibility to the yellow stem borer Scirpophaga incertulas (Walker) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Crop Protection, 6: 33–7.
-  Viajante, VD and Saxena, RC. 1988. Effect of plant age on rice susceptibility to yellow stem borer (YSB) Scirpophaga incertulas (Walker). International Rice Research Newsletter, 13(3): 37
Publication order reference