Seasonal variation of heavy metal contamination of groundwater in and around Udaiyarpalyam taluk, Ariyalur district, Tamil Nadu
Languages of publication
The study was carried out to determine the concentration of heavy metal ions in and around this area. Thirty two ground water samples were collected from in and around Udaiyarpalyam taluk during pre-monsoon and post monsoon season during the year of 2014. The concentration of trace metals such as iron, lead, cadmium, and chromium were determined using atomic absorption spectrophotometer and the results were compared with the World Health Organization (WHO) and Bureau Indian standard (BIS) values. It reveals revealed the presence of some heavy metals in few ground water samples and hence refers heavy metal contamination of water sources. The result shows that most of the groundwater is deteriorated less than the permissible limit of WHO.
-  Aggarwal T., Singh K N. and Gupta A K. (2000). Impact of sewage containing domestic wastes and heavy metals on the chemistry of Varuna river water, Poll. Res. 19(3), 491-494.
-  Abdullahi A.S., Funtua I.I., Alagbe S.A., Zabroski P. and Dewu B.B.M. (2010). Investigation of Groundwater quality for Domestic and Irrigation Purposes around Gubrunde and Environs, Northeastern Nigeria, Journal of American Science, 6(12).
-  Musa H., Vakasai I.A. and Musa A.H. (2004). Determination of lead Concentration in well and borehole Water in Nigeria, Chemclass Journal, 14-18.
-  Isabela Thomas Mkude. (2015). Comparative Analysis of Heavy Metals from Groundwater Sources Situated in Keko and Kigogo Residential Areas Dares Salaam, Journal of Water Resources and ocean chanies, 4(1): 1-5,
-  Hong Aliyu Haliru, Law Puong Ling, Onn.i, Suhaiza Suleiman and Mboh, A.B.S., Groundwater Quality Assessment for Domestic and Irrigation Purposes in Yola, Adamawa State, Northeastern Nigeria, American Journal of Engineering Research (AJER), 02(06) 34-41.
-  Oyeku O.T. and Eludoyin A. O. (2010). Heavy metal contamination of groundwater resources in a Nigerian urban settlement, African Journal of Environmental Scienceand Technology 4(4), 201-214.
-  Gaur S., Joshi M.C., Saxena S.K and Dutt H.K. (2011).Analytical study of water safety parameters in ground water samples of Uttarakhand in India, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 01(09), 166-169.
-  Vijaya Bhaskar C., Kiran Kumar and Nagendrappa G. (2010). Assessment of Heavy Metals in Water Samples of Certain Locations Situated Around Tumkur, Karnataka, India E-Journal of Chemistry, 7(2), 349-352.
-  Venkata Subba Raju O., Prasad P.M.N., Varalakshmi V. and Rami Reddy Y.V. (2014) Determination of Heavy Metals in Ground water by Icp-Oes in selected Coastal area of Spsr Nellore Distric, Andhrapradesh, India, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology Vol. 3.
-  Ganeshkumar B. and Jaideep C.(2012). Groundwater quality assessment using Water Quality Index (WQI) approach – Case study in a coastal region of Tamil Nadu, India, Int. J. Environ. Sciences and Research, 1(2), 50-55.
-  Bichi M. H., Bello U.F. (2013). Heavy Metal Pollution in Surface and Ground Waters Used for Irrigation along River Tatsawarki in the Kano, Nigeria IOSR Journal of Engineering (IOSRJEN), 3, 01-09.
-  Thilagavathi R., Chidambaram S., Prasanna M.V., Thivya C. and Singaraja, C.A. (2012). Study on groundwater geochemistry and water quality in layered aquifers system of Pondicherry region, southeast India, Appl Water Sci., 2: 253-269.
-  WHO Guidelines for drinking-water quality. (2004). vol 1, Recommendations, 3rd Edn. World Health Organisation, Geneva, p. 515.
-  APHA Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water (2005). 21st Edn. American Public Health Association, Washington, DC
-  BIS Drinking water specification. Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, IS10500, (2000).
-  Muthulakshmi L., Ramu A. and Kannan N. (2010). Assessment of Groundwater Quality in Virudhunagar District – A Statistical Approach, JESE, 52(3), 229-234.
-  Shrivastava KBL, Mishra SP. Studies of Various Heavy Metal in Surface and Ground water of Biringhpur Town and its Surrounding Rural Area District Satna(M.P.). Curr World Environ 2011, 6: 271-274.
-  Lokeshwari, H. and Chandrappa, G.T. (2006). Impact of heavy metals contamination of Bellandur lake on soil and cultivated Vegetation. Current Science. 91(5): 584
-  Bhavana, A., Shrivastava, V., Tiwari, C.R. and Jain, P. (2009). Heavy metal contamination and its potential risk with special reference to Narmada river at Nimar region of M.P. (India). Res. J. of Chem. & Env. 13(4): 23-27.
-  Mahmood A., and Malik R. N. (2014). Human health risk assessment of heavy metals via consumption of contaminated vegetables collected from different irrigation sources in Lahore, Pakistan, Arab. J. Chem., 7(1), 91-99.
-  Oyeku O.T. & Eludoyin A.O. (2010). Heavy metal contamination of ground water resources in a Nigerian urban settlement. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology, 4(4), 201-214.
Publication order reference