EFFECTIVENESS OF DYE ADSORPTION ONTO NON-CROSS-LINKED AND CROSS-LINKED CHITOSAN BEADS
Languages of publication
The study was established to analyze the effectiveness of Reactive Black (RB5) and Basic Green (BG4) dyes adsorption onto chitosan beads and onto chitosan beads cross-linked with glutaraldehyde depending on the initial dye concentration in the solution (1, 5, 100 and 200 mg/dm3). It demonstrated that both the initial concentration of dye in the solution as well as the type of adsorbent affected the effectiveness of the adsorption process. An increase in the initial dye concentration in the solution was increasing adsorption effectiveness, irrespective of the type of dye and adsorbent. The cross-linking of chitosan beads with glutaraldehyde turned out to be beneficial only in the case of the RB5 dye.
43 - 52
- Kumar MNVR; (2000). A review of chitin and chitosan applications. React Funct Polym 46, 1–27.
- Longhinotti E, Pozza F, Furlan L, Sanches MNM, Klug M, Laranjeira MCM, Fávere VT; (1998). Adsorption of anionic dyes on the biopolymer chitin. J Braz Chem Soc 9, 435–440.
- Chiou MS, Li H.Y; (2002). Equilibrium and kinetic modeling of adsorption of reactive dye on cross-linked chitosan beads. J Hazard Mat 93(2), 233-48.
- Guibal E, Milot C, Tobin JM; (1998) Metal-anion sorption by chitosan beads: equilibrium and kinetic studies. Ind Eng Chem Res 37,1454–1463.
- Liu XD, Tokura S, Haruki M, Nishi N, Sakairi N; (2002) Surface modification of nonporous glass beads with chitosan and their adsorption property for transition metal ions. Carbohyd. Polym. 49: 103–108.
- Chiou MS, Ho PY, Li HY; (2004) Adsorption of anionic dyes in acid solutions using chemically cross-linked chitosan beads. Dyes Pigments 60, 69–84.
- Juang RS, Tseng RL, Wu FC, Lee SH; (1997) Adsorption behavior of reactive dyes from aqueous solutions on chitosan. J Chem Technol Biotechnol 70, 391–399.
- Wu FC, Tseng RL, Juang RS; (2001) Enhanced abilities of highly swollen chitosan beads for color removal and tyrosinase immobilization. J Hazard Mater B81, 167–177.
- Chiou MS, Li HY; (2002) Equilibrium and kinetic modeling of adsorption of reactive dye on cross-linked chitosan beads. J Hazard Mater 93(2), 233-48.
- Tomczak E; (2007) Równowaga sorpcyjna na modyfikowanych kulkach chitozanowych. Proceedings of ECOpol Vol. 1, No 1/2.
- Wan Ngah WS, Ghani SA, Kamari A; (2005) Adsorption behaviour of Fe(II) and Fe(III) ions in aqueous solution on chitosan and cross-linked chitosan beads. Bioresour Technol 96, 443- 450.
- Wan Ngah WS, Kamari A, Koay YJ; (2004) Equilibrium and kinetics studies of adsorption of copper (II) on chitosan and chitosan/PVA beads. Int J Biol Macromol. 34, 155-161.
- Wan Ngah WS, Kamari A, Chong MY, Cheah ML; (2009) Sorption of acid dyes onto GLA and H2SO4 cross-linked chitosan beads. Desalination. 249, 1180-1189.
- Yoshida H, Okamoto A, Kataoka T; (1993) Adsorption of acid dye on cross-linked chitosan fibers: equilibrium. Chem. Eng. Sci. 48, 2267–2272.
- Chiou MS, Li HY; (2003). Adsorption behavior of reactive dye in aqueous solution on chemical cross-linked chitosan beads. Chemosphere. 50, 1095-1105.
- Juang RS, Tseng RL, Wu FC, Lee SH; (1997) Adsorption behavior of reactive dyes from aqueous solutions on chitosan. J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol. 70, 391–399.
- Chiou MS, Kuo WS, Li H,Y; (2003) Removal of Reactive Dye from Wasterwater by Adsorption Using ECH Cross – Linked Chitosan Beads as Medium J Environ Scien and Health, 38(11); 2621 – 2622.
- Hasan M, Ahmad AL, Hameed BH; (2008) Adsorption of reactive dye onto cross-linked chitosan/oil palm ash composite beads Chem Eng J 136(2-3); 164-172.
Publication order reference