Chemical-induced seed germination and enhancement of seed potential of seven wild plant taxa of Ericaceae in India
Languages of publication
Pretreatment of seeds of seven wild plant taxa (viz., Gaultheria hookeri C. B. Clarke, G. stapfiana Airy Shaw, G. semi-infera (C. B. Clarke) Airy Shaw, G. trichophylla Royle var. ovata Panda & Sanjappa, Lyonia ovalifolia (Wall.) Drude var. ovalifolia, Pieris formosa (Wall.) D. Don and Vaccinium glauco-album C. B. Clarke) in the family Ericaceae using Na-dikegulac (Na-DK) for 8 hours (4 + 4 h in two installments) before keeping in ambient storage condition (32±2 ºC) for different durations (0 and 20 days) slowed down the rapid loss of germination and reduced the time (h) required for 50% seed germination (T50). Concomitantly, the reduction of protein level as well as the activity of catalase of seed kernels during storage period was ameliorated to a significant extent in the chemical pretreated seed lots.
- Plant Physiology and Biochemistry Lab, Department of Botany, Saldiha College, Bankura University, Saldiha - 722173, India
- Plant Physiology and Biochemistry Lab, Department of Botany, University of Burdwan, Burdwan - 713104, India
- Plant Physiology and Pharmacognosy Lab, Department of Botany, University of North Bengal, Siliguri, India
- Plant Physiology and Biochemistry Lab, Department of Botany, Barasat Govt. College, Kolkata - 700124, India
- Angiosperm Taxonomy & Ecology Lab, Botany Department, Maulana Azad College, University of Calcutta, Kolkata - 700013, India
-  Copeland LO and McDonald MB (1995). In: Principles of Seed Science and Technology (3rd ed.) Chapman and Hall, New York.
-  Desai BB, Kotecha PM and Salunkhe DK (1997). In: Seeds Handbook: Biology, Production, Processing and Storage. Marcel Dekker Inc. New York.
-  Maity S, Banerjee G, Roy M, Pal C, Pal B, Chakraborti D and Bhattacharjee A (2000). Chemical induced prolongation of seed viability and stress tolerance capacity of mung bean seedlings. Seed Sci. Technol. 28: 155-162.
-  Bhattacharjee A (2001). Influence of a growth retardant and a volatile oil on enhancement of storage longevity of two low vigour seed species. J. Nat. Bot. Soc. 55: 55-61.
-  Pathak G and Basu RN (1980). Control of seed deterioration in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) Curr. Sci. 49: 67-69.
-  Chhetri DR, Rai AS and Bhattacharjee A (1993). Chemical manipulation of seed longevi-ty of four crop species in an unfavourable storage environment. Seed Sci. Technol. 21: 31-44.
-  Basu RN (1994). An appraisal of research on wet and dry physiological seed treatments and their applicability with special reference to tropical and sub-tropical countries. Seed Sci. Technol. 22: 107-126.
-  Aditya M, Pati CK and Bhattacharjee A (2014). Seed Invigouration and Potentiation of Maize (Zea mays) by Chemical Manipulation. Science and Culture, 80(5-6), 169-172.
-  Coolbear P, Francis A and Grierson D (1984). The effect of low temperature pre-sowing treatment on the germination performance and membrane integrity of artificially aged tomato seeds. J. Exp. Bot. 35: 1609-1617.
-  Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL and Randall RJ (1951). Protein measurement with the Folin-phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193: 265 - 275.
-  Snell FD and Snell CT (1971). Colorimetric methods of analysis, Vol. 4 AAA: 7-145. Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York.
-  Biswas AK and Choudhuri MA (1978). Differential behaviour of the flag leaf of intact rice plant during ageing. Biochemie. und Physiologie der Pflanzen. 173: 220-228.
-  Fick NG and Qualset CO (1975). Genetic control of endosperm amylase activity and gibberellin responses in standard height and short statured wheat. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sc. USA 72: 892-895.
-  Panse VG and Sukhatme PT (1967). Statistical methods for agricultural workers. 2e., pp. 150-157. Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi.
-  Ching TM and Schoolcraft I (1968). Physiological and biochemical difference in aged seed. Crop Sci. 8: 407-409.
-  Harman GE and Granett AL (1972). Deterioration of stored pea seed: changes in germina-tion, membrane permeability and ultrastructure resulting from infection by Aspergillus ruber and from ageing. Physiological Plant Pathology 2: 271 - 278.
-  Powell AA and Matthews S (1977). Deteriorative changes in pea seeds stored in humid or dry conditions. J. Exp. Bot. 28: 225-234.
-  Simon EW (1974). Phospholipids and plant membrane permeability. New Phytol. 73: 377-420.
-  Harman GE and Mattick LR (1976). Association of lipid oxidation with seed ageing and death. Nature 260: 323-324.
-  Ponnachan PTC, Paulose CS and Panikkan KR (1993). Effect of leaf extracts of Aegle marmelose in diabetic rat. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 31: 345.
-  Kamalakkannan N and Stanely MZP (2003). Effect of Aegle marmelos Correa (Bael) fruit extract on tissue antioxidants in streptozotocin diabetic rats. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 41: 1285-1288.
-  Mishra VK, Pati CK and Bhattacharjee A (2004a). Prolongation of seed viability of a medi-cinally important pulse crop horse-gram (Dolichos biflorus L.). Environ. Ecol. 22: 115-119.
-  Pati CK and Bhattacharjee A (2015). Retention of seed vigour and enhancement of plant potential of a safflower species by chemical manipulation. Research Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Management 4(6): 274-277.
-  Kole S and Gupta K (1982). Biochemical changes in safflower (Carthamus tinctorius) seeds under accelerated ageing. Seed Sci. Technol. 10: 47-54.
-  Bhattacharjee A and Gupta K (1985). Effect of dikegulac sodium, a growth retardant, on the viability of sunflower seeds. Seed Sci. Technol. 13: 165-174.
-  Fridovich I (1976). Oxygen radicals, hydrogen peroxide, and oxygen toxicity. In: Free Radicals in Biology, (ed. W.A. Prior), Vol. 1 pp. 239-277, Academic Press, New York.
-  Sarkar U and Choudhuri MA (1980). Glycolate content, glycolate oxidase and catalase activity in intact sunflower plant during ageing and development. Biochemie und Physiologie der Pflanzen 175: 23 - 28.
-  Pati CK and Bhattacharjee A (2003). Chemical induced regulation of detached leaf senescence of a few ecologically diverse plants. Environ. Ecol. 21: 607-611.
-  Pati CK and Bhattacharjee A (2011). Chemical manipulation of seed invigouration and plant potentiation of two promising pulse crops under stressful storage condition. Indian Journal of Biological Sciences 17: 15-22.
-  Pati CK and Bhattacharjee A (2012). Sunflower seed invigoration by chemical manipula- tion; C. K. Pati and A. Bhattacharjee. Agricultural Journal 7(1): 26-31.
Publication order reference