Readiness to change and pro-health behaviours among students of physical education and other teaching specialisations
Languages of publication
The aim of the study was to analyse the relationship between the profile of readiness to change and pro-health behaviours as well as physical activity among students of physical education and other teaching specialisation. The study was carried out among a randomly selected group of teaching specialisation students (464 females and 143 males). In the research, the following were applied: Inventory of Pro-health Behaviours by Z. Juczyński, the IPAQ and the Readiness to Change Questionnaire. Diversification in pro-health behaviours, level of physical activity and selected features of readiness to change among students of teaching specialisations was demonstrated. In the general population, along with the increase in selfconfidence, passion and optimism, the level of health pro-behaviours also increased. Regardless of the type of studies, there were significant positive correlations between the level of physical activity and the degree of passion, optimism and boldness. Among students of other teaching specialisations (apart from physical education), a positive relationship was also noted between physical activity and creativity. Among the students of teaching specialisations, a correlation was demonstrated between the level of pro-health behaviours and physical activity as well as the degree of selected features constituting readiness to change.
- University of Physical Education in Kraków, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport, Department of Theory and Methodology of Physical Education
- University of Physical Education in Kraków, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport, Department of Sports Medicine and Human Nutrition
- University of Physical Education in Kraków, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport, Department of Psychology
- Bergier, B., Stepień, E., Niźnikowska, E., Bergier, J. (2014). Aktywność fizyczna kobiet i mężczyzn studiujących w Państwowej Szkole Wyższej w Białej Podlaskiej. Medycyna Ogólna i Nauki o Zdrowiu, 20 (2), 166–170.
- Bergier, J., Bergier, B., Tsos, A. (2016). Variations in physical activity of male and female students from different countries. Iranian Journal of Public Health, 45 (5), 705–707.
- Biernat, E., Stupnicki, R., Lebiedzinski, B., Janczewska, J. (2008). Assessment of physical activity by applying IPAQ questionnaire. Physical Education and Sport, 52, 46–52. DOI: 10.2478/v10030-008-0019-1.
- Brzezińska, E., Paszkowska-Rogacz, A. (2002). Kształtowanie relacji pracowniczych. Łódź: Polsko-Amerykańskie Centrum Zarządzania.
- Carver, C.S., Scheier, M.F., Segerstrom, S.C. (2010). Optimism. Clinical Psychology Review, 30 (7), 879–889. DOI: 10.1016/j.cpr.2010.01.006.
- Chung-Yan, C.J. (2014). Psychological determinants of exercise behavior of nursing students. Contemporary Nurse, 49 (1), 60–67. DOI: 10.1080/10376178.2014.11081954.
- Ćosić Mulahasanović, I., Nožinović Mujanović, A., Mujanović, E., Atiković, A. (2018). Level of physical activity of the students at the University of Tuzla According to IPAQ. Central European Journal of Sport Sciences and Medicine, 21 (1), 23–30. DOI: 10.18276/cej.2018.1-03.
- Dae-Jung, J., Ki-Jong, K., Myoung, H. (2014). Factors related to stages of exercise behavior change among university students based on the Transtheoretical Model. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 26 (12), 1929–1932, DOI: 10.1589/jpts.26.1929.
- Deasy, C., Coughlan, B., Pironom, J., Jourdan, D., Mcnamara, P.M. (2015). Psychological distress and lifestyle of students: implications for health promotion. Health Promotion International, 30 (1), 77–87. DOI: 10.1093/heapro/dau086.
- Gacek, M. (2015). Association between self-efficacy and dietary behaviors of American football players in the Polish clubs in the light of dietary recommendations for athletes. Roczniki PZH, 66 (4), 361–366.
- Gacek, M. (2017). The sense of life satisfaction versus dietary choices of young women doing fitness for recreational purposes. Roczniki PZH, 68 (1), 77–81.
- Grey, M. (2017). Lifestyle determinants of health: Isn’t it all about genetics and environment? Nursing Outlook, 65 (5), 501–505. DOI: 10.1016/j.outlook.2017.04.011.
- Han, H., Gabriel, K.P., Kohl, H.W. (2017). Application of the transtheoretical model to sedentary behaviors and its association with physical activity status. PLOS ONE, 12 (4), e0176330. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0176330.
- Inandi, Y., Gilic, F. (2016). Relationship of teachers’ readiness for change with their participation in decision making and school culture. Educational Research Review, 11 (8), 823–833, DOI: 10.5897/ERR2016.2730.
- Juczyński, Z. (2012). Narzędzia pomiaru w promocji i psychologii zdrowia. Warszawa: Pracownia Testów Psychologicznych.
- Kazemi, D.M., Wagenfeld, M., Van Horn, K.R., Levine, M.J., Dmochowski, J. (2011). Binge drinking among underage college students: role of impulsivity and the transtheoretical model. Model. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 22 (4), 193–199. DOI: 10.3109/10884602.2011.616605.
- Kondakci, Y., Beycioglu, K., Sincar, M., Ugurlu, C.T. (2017). Readiness of teachers for change in schools. International Journal of Leadership in Education, 20 (2), 176–197. DOI: 10.1080/13603124.2015.1023361.
- Kosiba, G., Gacek, M., Bogacz-Walancik, A., Wojtowicz, A. (2016). The lifestyle of students – future teachers. Antopomotoryka. Journal of Kinesiology and Exercise Sciences, 74 (26), 83–94. DOI: 10.5604/01.3001.0009.5616.
- Kriegel, R., Brandt, D. (1996). Sacred Cows Make the Best Burgers. Developing Change-ready People and Organizations. New York: Warner Books.
- Kropornicka, B., Baczewska, B., Dragan, W., Krzyżanowska, E., Olszak, C., Szymczuk, E. (2015). Zachowania zdrowotne studentów Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Lublinie w zależności od miejsca zamieszkania. Rozprawy Społeczne, 9 (2), 58–64.
- Laudańska-Krzemińska, I. (2014). Health behaviours and their determinants among physical education and pedagogy students as well as school teachers – a comparison study. Acta Universitatis Carolinae Kinanthropologica, 50 (2), 69–78.
- Ler, H.Y., Wee, E.H., Ling, S.K. (2017). Differences in psychosocial determinants by gender and physical activity index among undergraduates. Journal of Sport Psychology, 26 (4), 127–131.
- Lesani, A., Mohammadpoorasl, A., Javadi, M., Esfeh, J.M., Fakhari, A. (2016). Eating breakfast, fruit and vegetable intake and their relation with happiness in college students. Eat Weight Disord, 21 (4), 645–651. DOI: 10.1007/s40519-016-0261-0.
- Leśniewska, G. (2016). Gotowość do zmiany nauczycieli szansą edukacji XXI wieku. Studia i Prace WNEIZ US, 46 (1), 39–49. DOI: 10.18276/sip.2016.46/1-03.
- Lipowski, M. (2012). Level of optimism and health behavior in athletes. Medical Science Monitor, 18 (1), 39–43. DOI: 10.12659/MSM.882200.
- Monhollen, C. Summers, L. Sabin, M. Rutherford, J. (2016). Sedentary behaviors and physical activity in relation to class standing in university students. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 48 (5S), 1063. DOI: 10.1249/01.mss.0000488198.25704.eb.
- Moynihan, S., Paakkari, L., Välimaa, R., Jourdan, D., Mannix-McNamara, P. (2015). Teacher competencies in health education: Results of a Delphi Study. PLOS ONE, 10 (12), e0143703. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0143703.
- Palacz, J. (2014). Zachowania zdrowotne studentów w świetle wybranych uwarunkowań. Medycyna Ogólna i Nauki o Zdrowiu, 20 (3), 301–306.
- Posadzki, P., Stockl, A., Musonda, P., Tsouroufli, M. (2010). A mixed-method approach to sense of coherence, health behaviors, selfefficacy and optimism: towards the operationalization of positive health attitudes. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, 51 (3), 246–252. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9450.2009.00764.x.
- Rasińska, R. (2012). Nawyki żywieniowe studentów w zależności od płci. Nowiny Lekarskie, 81 (4), 354–359.
- Rossi-Barbosa, L.A., Gama, A.C., Caldeira, A.P. (2015). Association between readiness for behavior change and complaints of vocal problems in teachers. Codas, 27 (2), 170–177. DOI: 10.1590/2317-1782/20152013088.
- Schee, C.V., Gard, M. (2014). Healthy, happy and ready to teach, or why kids can’t learn from fat teachers; the discursive politics of school reform and teacher health. Critical Public Health, 24 (2), 210–225.
- Schnettler, B., Miranda, H., Lobos, G., Orellana, L., Sepúlveda, J., Denegri, M., Etchebarne, S., Mora, M., Grunert, K.G. (2015).
- Eating habits and subjective well-being. A typology of students in Chilean state universities. Appetite, 89, 203–214. DOI: 10.1016/j.appet.2015.02.008.
- Sharma, S., Dortch, K.S., Byrd-Williams, C., Truxillio, J.B., Rahman, G.A., Bonsu, P., Hoelscher, D. (2013). Nutrition-related knowledge, attitudes, and dietary behaviors among head start teachers in Texas: a cross-sectional study. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 113 (4), 558–562. DOI: 10.1016/j.jand.2013.01.003.
- Suğuksu, K. (2011). Physical activity level between Polish and Turkish university students (IPAQ). In: B. Bergier (ed.), Physical activity in health and disease (pp. 19 27). Biała Podlaska: Pope John Paul II State School of Higher Education in Biała Podlaska.
- Talvio, M., Berg, M., Ketonen, E., Komulainen, E., Lonka, K. (2015). Progress in teachers’ readiness to promote positive youth development among students during the Lions Quest Teaching Workshop. Journal of Education and Training Studies, 3, 1–13. DOI: 10.11114/jets.v3i6.869.
- Winardi, Prianto, A. (2016). Various determinants of individual readiness to change and their effects on the teachers’ performance (A study on certified teachers in Jombang Regency East Java, Indonesia). IOSR Journal of Business and Management (OISRJBM), 18 (2), 22–32.
- Yusuf, İ., Gil, F. (2016). Relationship of teachers’ readiness for change with their participation in decision making and school culture. Educational Research and Reviews, 11 (8), 823–833. DOI: 10.5897/ERR2016.2730.
- Zayim, M., Kondakci, Y. (2014). An exploration of the relationship between readiness for change and organizational trust in Turkish public schools. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 43 (4), 610–625. DOI: 10.1177/1741143214523009.
Publication order reference