Meat and meat products as functional food
Languages of publication
The work was aimed at presenting meat and its products as functional, bioactive food, which, besides nutritional value, contains additional substances intended to strengthen their health. Functional food has gained and is gaining in importance as it has a positive effect on the health of the consumer, limiting the incidence of civilization and diet-related diseases. Functional foods, in addition to meat, also include its products in which the desired content of EFAs, dietary fiber and the limited content of undesirable salts and nitrates are increased. Red meat is a very good source of bioactive ingredients, vitamins and trace elements.
-  Arihara K. Strategies for designing novel functional meat products. Meat Science, (2006), 74, 1, 219-229
-  Jimenez-Colmenero Functional foods based on meat products. In: Handbook of food products manufacturing. Ed. Y. Hui. Wiley, New York: (2007) ,989-1116.
-  Ruusunen M., Pualanne E., Saltiness of coarsely ground cooked ham with reduced salt content. Agricultural and Food Science, (2001), 10, 27-32
-  Ruusunen M., Puolanne E. Reducing sodium intake from meat products. Meat Sci. (2005), 70, 531-541
-  Desmond E. Reducing salt: a challenge fot the meat industry. Meat Sci. (2006) 74, 188-196
-  Biswas A.K., Kumar V., Bhosle S., et al., Dietary fibers as functional ingredients in meat products and their role in human health. Int J Livest Prod, (2011), 2(4), 45-54.
-  Työppöne, Petäjä e., Mattila-Sandholm, Bioprotectives and probiotics for dry sausages. Int. J. Food Microb. (2003), 83: 233-244.
-  Siro, Istvan, et al. Functional food. Product development, marketing and consumer acceptance—A review. Appetite 51.3 (2008) 456-467.
-  Spence, Joseph T. "Challenges related to the composition of functional foods." Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 19 (2006): 4-S6
-  Kotilainen, Liisa, et al. Health Enhancing Foods. Opportunities for Strengthening the Sector in Developing Countries. Agriculture and Rural Development. The World Bank. Discussion Paper 30, 2006.
-  Lourens-Hattingh, Analie, and Bennie C. Viljoen. Yogurt as probiotic carrier food. International dairy journal 11, 1-2 (2001): 1-17.
-  Van Soest, PJ van, J. B. Robertson, and B. A. Lewis. "Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition." Journal of dairy science 74.10 (1991): 3583-3597.
-  Wood, J. D., et al. Fat deposition, fatty acid composition and meat quality: A review. Meat science 78.4 (2008) 343-358.
-  Jiménez-Colmenero, Francisco, José Carballo, and Susana Cofrades. Healthier meat and meat products: their role as functional foods. Meat science 59.1 (2001) 5-13.
-  Pereira, Paula Manuela de Castro Cardoso, and Ana Filipa dos Reis Baltazar Vicente. Meat nutritional composition and nutritive role in the human diet. Meat Science 93.3 (2013) 586-592.
-  Williams, Peter. "Nutritional composition of red meat. Nutrition & Dietetics 64 (2007) 113-119.
-  Salminen, S., et al. Functional food science and gastrointestinal physiology and function. British journal of nutrition 80.S1 (1998) 147-S171.
-  Korhonen, Hannu J. Bioactive components in bovine milk. Bioactive components in milk and dairy products (2009) 15-42
-  Rainer, Lisa, and Cynthia J. Heiss. Conjugated linoleic acid: health implications and effects on body composition. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 104.6 (2004) 963-968.
-  Mattila, Pirjo, and Jorma Kumpulainen. Coenzymes Q9and Q10: contents in foods and dietary intake. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 14.4 (2001) 409-417.
-  Purchas, R. W., Rutherfurd, S. M., Pearce, P. D., Vather, R., & Wilkinson, B. H. P. (2004). Concentrations in beef and lamb of taurine, carnosine, coenzyme Q10, and creatine. Meat Science, 66(3), 629-637.
-  Schmid, A. (2009). Bioactive substances in meat and meat products. Fleischwirtschaft, 89(7), 83-90.
-  Satoh, Soichiro, et al. Selective and sensitive determination of lipoyllysine (protein-bound α-lipoic acid) in biological specimens by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection. Analytica chimica acta 618.2 (2008) 210-217.
-  Williams, Peter. Nutritional composition of red meat. Nutrition & Dietetics 64 (2007) 113-S119.
Publication order reference