THERMAL AND ATOMIC FORCE MICROSCOPY (AFM) STUDIES OF MICROCRYSTALLINE CHITOSAN/POLY(VINYL ALCOHOL) MIXTURES
Languages of publication
In the present paper, the results of thermal analysis (DSC and TGA) and atomic force microscopy studies of microcrystalline chitosan (MCCh) with poly(vinyl alcohol) (PVA) are presented. Microcrystalline chitosan is blended with poly(vinyl alcohol) in acetic acid solution and this solution is cast to prepare the blend film. From thermal curves the thermal transitions: Tg, Tm and characteristic temperatures of decomposition: Tdi, Tmax have been determined and compared. The influence of the degree of PVA hydrolysis on the thermal properties of blend systems has been discussed. The surface properties of the MCCh and PVA films and their blends have been studied by tapping-mode atomic force microscopy (AFM). The changes of topography images were considered by determining the root mean square (RMS) deviation in the image data. The obtained results suggested that in solid MCCh/PVA mixtures the components are poorly miscible.
11 - 16
- Finch C. A.; (1973) Poly(vinyl alcohol). In: Finch C.A. (ed) Wiley, New York.
- Chiellini E., Corti A., Solaro R.; (1999) Biodegradation of poly(vinyl alcohol) based blown films under different environmental conditions. Polym Degrad Stab 64, pp. 305-312.
- Struszczyk H.; (1987) Microcrystalline chitosan. I. Preparation and properties of microcrystalline chitosan. J Appl Polym Sci 33, pp. 177-189.
- Mathot V. B. F., Pijpers T. F. J., Goderis B.; (2002) High-Speed Calorimetry for the study of the kinetics of (de)vitrification, crystallization, and melting of macromolecules. Macromolecules 35, pp. 3601-3613.
- Lewandowska K., Staszewska D. U.; (2000) Progress on Chemistry and Application of Chitin and Its Derivatves, Monograph, Vol. VI, In: Struszczyk H (ed), Łódź, pp. 63-71.
- Lewandowska K.; (2005) The miscibility of poly(vinyl alcohol)/poly(N−vinylpyrrolidone) blends investigated in dilute solutions and solids. Eur Polym J 41, pp. 55-64.
- Hill D. J. T., Whittaker A. K., Wong K. W.; (1999) Miscibility and specific interactions in blends of poly(4-vinylphenol) and poly(2-ethoxyethyl methacrylate). Macromolecules 32, pp. 5285-5291.
Publication order reference