Teaching English to young learners with ADHD and dyslexia
Languages of publication
Nowadays English is a very popular language and it is taught almost in every school. Teachers have to deal with different kinds of students and know their needs. There are many students with problems, and as a result they have difficulties in learning. We can distinguish here, for example, students with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and dyslexia. The main aim of this thesis is to present the characteristics of learners with these problems, their difficulties that are present during their education and how the teacher should educate them, as well as which methods would be most appropriate for learners with ADHD and which for learners with dyslexia. It can make the work of the teacher as well as the student much easier.
-  Armstrong, Thomas, 1991. ADD /ADHD Alternatives in the Classroom. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Alexandria, Virginia, USA.
-  Bailet Laura L. 2 0 1 2. Understanding Dyslexia, retrieved on 24-04-2013 http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/learning/dyslexia.html
-  Barkley Russell A., 2006. Attention - Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. A Hand book for Diagnosisand Treatment. The Guilford Press, New York.
-  Bogdanowicz M., 1989. Trudności w pisaniu u dzieci. Gdańsk: Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Gdańskiego.
-  Bogdanowicz Marta, Smoleń Mariola, 2004. Dysleksja w kontekście nauczania języków obcych. Wydawnictwo Harmonia.
-  Bowen Julie, Jenson William R., Clark Elaine, 2004. School - Based Interventions for Students with Behavior Problems. Kluwer Academic /Plenum Publishers, New York.
-  Brophy Jere, 2003. Teaching Problem Students. The Guilford Press, New York London.
-  Brown Douglas H. 2001. Teaching by principles. An interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. Longman.
-  DuPaul G. J., McGoey K. E., Eckert T. L., et al. 2001. “Preschool children with attention - deficit/hyperactivity disorder impairments in behavioural, social, and school functioning”. J A m Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry, 40: 508-515.
-  Faraone S. V., Perlis R. H., Doyle A. E., et al., 2005. “Molecular genetics of attention – deficit/hyperactivity Disorder”. Biological Psychiatry, 57, 1313-1323.
-  Geddes Groset, 2002. Webster’s New English Dictionary and The saurus, David Dale House, New Lanark, ML119 DJ, Scotland.
-  Hammond Jill, Hercules Fabian, 2000. Understanding Dyslexia. An Introduction for Dyslexic Students in Higher Education. The Glasgow School of Art.
-  Harpin V. A., 2005. “The effect of ADHD on the life of an individual, their family, and community from preschool to adult life”, Arch Dis Child, 90.
-  Kelly Kathleen, Phillips Sylvia, 2011. Teaching Literacy to Learners with Dyslexia. A Multi - sensory Approach. SAGE.
-  Komorowska Hanna, 2005. Metodyka nauczania języków obcych. Warszawa: Fraszka Edukacyjna.
-  Kraft Sy, 2010. What Is Dyslexia? What Causes Dyslexia?, retrieved on 25-04-2013 http://www.med icalnewstoday.com/articles/186787.php
-  Larsen - Freeman Diane, 2008. Techniques and principles in language teaching. Second Edition, Oxford University Press, Lengel, Tracil.
-  Kuczala Michael S., 2010. The Kinesthetic Classroom: Teaching and Learning Through Movement. Corwin and Regional Training Center.
-  Lott John A., 2008. “What is Teaching?’’ Talking About Teaching, 3: 47-52. Ohio State University. Academy of Teaching.
-  Lozanov Georgi, 1979. Suggestology and Outlines of Suggestopedy. New York: Gordon and Breach Science Publishers.
-  Mannuzza S., Klein R.G., Bessler A., et al. 1993. “Adultoutcome of hyperactive boys. Educational achievement, occupational rankand psychiatric status. Arch Gen Psychiatry (50): 565-576.
-  Mannuzza S., Klein R. G., Bessler, A., Malloy, P., LaPadula, M., 1998. “Adultpsychiatric status of hyperactive boys as grown up”. American Journal of Psychiatry, 155, 493-498.
-  Meltzer H., Gatward R., Goodman R, et al., 2000. The mental health of child renandadole scents in Great Britain. Office for National Statistics, London: The Stationery Office.
-  Nijakowska, Joanna, 2010, Dyslexia in the Foreign Language Classroom. SLA
-  Nixon Gayle, Richardson Roz, 2004. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). A Practical Guide for Schools. South Eastern Education and Library Board
-  Parker Harvey C., 2006. Problem Solver Guide for Students with ADHD. Specialty Press, Inc. Plantation, Florida.
-  Pfiffner L. J., 2004. Wszystko o ADHD. Zyski S-ka, Poznań.
-  Ramus F, 2006. “Genes, brain, and cognition: A road map for the cognitive Scientist”. Cognition 101, 247-269. Elsevier
-  Re id, Gavin, 2009. Dyslexia. A Practitioner’s Handbook. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester.
-  Rogova, G. V., 1975. Methods of Teaching English. Prosveshchenie.
-  Stern, H. H. 1991. Fundamental Concepts of Language Teaching. Oxford University Press.
-  Włodarski Z., 1985. Odbiór treści w procesie uczenia się. Warszawa: PWN.
Publication order reference