Effect of Blending Various Biodiesels with Diesel on Performance and Emissions of Diesel Engine: A Review
Languages of publication
Due to limited resources and hazardous effects on environment people now a day tries to find out an alternative for fossil fuels. Fossil fuels when burnt produce a lot of carbon dioxide which is one of the primary reasons for global warming. Petroleum is a form of fossil fuel. With the help of distillation process petrol, paraffin, kerosene and diesel oil can obtain from natural petroleum. To protect the environment biodiesels can substitute these fossil fuels. Biodiesels can use as an alternative for diesel. Researchers from around the world tried for many years to find a suitable biodiesel which can substitute diesel. Many biodiesels have been produced from different sources and tested for their performances. Some researchers try to find out a good combination of biodiesel blends which can be used as an alternative of diesel. Some of them try to find out a suitable blend of diesel and biodiesel to reduce the environmental impact and for better emission characteristics. Effects of blending different types of biodiesels with diesel have been investigated by many researchers. In this present review article a summary is written on such attempts.
-  Sandeep Kumar Duran, Maninder Singh, Hardeep Singh, Performance and Combustion Characteristics of Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Fuelled with Blends of Karanja Biodiesel and Diesel, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology Volume 5, Issue 7, July 2014, Pages. 160-170.
-  H. Raheman, A.G. Phadatare , Diesel engine emissions and performance from blends of karanja methyl ester and diesel, Biomass and Bio Energy ,Volume 27, Issue 4, 2004, Pages 393-397.
-  K. Srithar, K. Arun Balasubramanian, V. Pavendan, B. Ashok Kumar, Experimental investigations on mixing of two biodiesels blended with diesel as alternative fuel for diesel engines, Journal of King Saud University – Engineering Sciences, Volume 29, 2017, Pages 50–56.
-  Kandasamy Muralidharan and Palanisamy Govindarajan, The Effect of Bio-Fuel Blends and Fuel Injection Pressure on Diesel Engine Emission for Sustainable Environment, American Journal of Environmental Sciences, Volume 7, Issue 4, 2011, Pages 377-382.
-  A.M. Liaquat, H.H. Masjuki, M.A. Kalam, I.M. Rizwanul Fattah, M.A. Hazrat, M. Varman, M. Mofijur, M. Shahabuddin, Effect of coconut biodiesel blended fuels on engine performance and emission characteristics, Procedia Engineering, Volume 56, 2013, Pages 583 – 590.
-  Herchel Thaddeus C. Machacon, Yutaka Matsumoto, Chihiro Ohkawara, Seiichi Shiga, Takao Karasawa, Hisao Nakamura, The effect of coconut oil and diesel fuel blends on diesel engine performance and exhaust emissions, JSAE Review, Volume 22, Issue 3, 2001, Pages 349-355.
-  M. Martin, D. Prithviraj, Performance of Pre-heated Cottonseed Oil and Diesel Fuel Blends in a Compression Ignition Engine, Jordan Journal of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Volume 5, Number 3, June 2011, Pages 235-240.
-  B. Prbakaran, Dinoop Viswanathan, Experimental investigation of effects of addition of ethanol to bio-diesel on performance, combustion and emission characteristics in CI engine, Alexandria Engineering Journal, 2016.
-  A.S. Huzayyin, A.H. Bawady, M.A. Rady, A. Dawood, Experimental evaluation of Diesel engine performance and emission using blends of jojoba oil and Diesel fuel, Energy Conversion and Management, Volume 45, Issues 13–14, 2004, Pages 2093-2112,
-  K. Pramanik, Properties and use of jatropha curcas oil and diesel fuel blends in compression ignition engine, Renewable Energy, Volume 28, Issue 2, 2003, Pages 239-248.
-  Ekrem Buyukkaya, Effects of biodiesel on a DI diesel engine performance, emission and combustion characteristics, Fuel, Volume 89, Issue 10, 2010, Pages 3099-3105.
-  O.M.I. Nwafor, Emission characteristics of diesel engine operating on rapeseed methyl ester, Renewable Energy,Volume 29, Issue 1, January 2004, Pages 119-129.
-  K. Vijayaraj, A.P. Sathiyagnanam, Experimental investigation of a diesel engine with methyl ester of mango seed oil and diesel blends, Alexandria Engineering Journal Volume 55, 2016, 215–221.
-  Orkun Özener, Levent Yüksek, Alp Tekin Ergenç, Muammer Özkan, Effects of soybean biodiesel on a DI diesel engine performance, emission and combustion characteristics, Fuel, Volume 115, 2014, Pages 875-883.
-  P.K. Devan, N.V. Mahalakshmi, Performance, emission and combustion characteristics of poon oil and its diesel blends in a DI diesel engine, Fuel, Volume 88, Issue 5, 2009, Pages 861-867.
-  B. Deepanraj, C. Dhanesh, 1R. Senthil, M. Kannan, A. Santhoshkumar and 2P. Lawrence, Use of Palm oil Biodiesel Blends as a Fuel for Compression Ignition Engine, American Journal of Applied Sciences, Volume 8, Number 11, 2011, Pages 1154-1158.
-  Sam Ki Yoon, Min Soo Kim, Han Joo Kim, and Nag Jung Choi, Effects of Canola Oil Biodiesel Fuel Blends on Combustion, Performance, and Emissions Reduction in a Common Rail Diesel Engine, Energies, Volume 7, 2014, Pages 8132-8149.
-  R. Saravanan, P. Navaneetha Krishnan, R. Muralimanohar, Experimental & Performance Analysis of four Stroke CI Engine on Sapotaceae Biodiesel and its Blends, International Conference on Energy Efficient Technologies For Automobiles (EETA), 2015.
-  G Lakshmi Narayana Rao, S Sampath, K Rajagopal, Experimental Studies on the Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Used Cooking Oil Methyl Ester and its Diesel Blends, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. International Journal of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, Volume 2, Number 1, 2008.
-  P. Lawrence, P. Koshy Mathews and B. Deepanraj, Effect of Prickly Poppy Methyl EsterBlends on CI Engine Performance and Emission Characteristics, American Journal of Environmental Sciences, Volume 7, Issue 2, 2011, Pages 145-149.
-  Hadi rahimi, Barat Ghobadian, Talal Yusaf, Gholamhasan Najafi, Mahdi Khatamifar, Diesterol: An environment-friendly IC engine fuel, Renewable Energy, Volume 34, Issue 1, 2009, Pages 335-342.
-  Prabhakar, S., Annamalai, K., Lalvani, I.J., Experimental study of using hybrid vegetable oil blends in diesel engine, Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, Volume 71, Issue 9, September 2012, Pages 612-615.
-  M. Venkatraman and G. Devaradjane, Computer Modeling of a CI Engine for Optimization of Operating Parameters Such as Compression Ratio, Injection Timing and Injection Pressure for Better Performance and Emission Using Diesel-Diesel Biodiesel Blends, American Journal of Applied Sciences, Volume 8, Issue 9, 2011, Pages 897-902.
-  G. Sujaykumar, Ravikumar R., Sushilendra Mutalikdesai, Basavaraj Pujar, Vinayak Baddi, Dhareppa Siddapur, Santosha P. V., Basavaraj Telagadi, Comparative Study of Waste Cooking Oil and Cashew Nut Shell Oil Bio Fuel Blends with Diesel, Energy and Power, Volume 7, Issue 3, 2017, Pages 65-69.
-  B. Tesfa, Belachew, Gu, Fengshou, Mishra, Rakesh and Ball, Andrew, LHV Predication Models and LHV Effect on the Performance of CI Engine Running with Biodiesel Blends, Energy Conversion and Management, Volume 71, 2013, Pages 217-226.
-  Vishal Dekate, S.C. Kongre, Experimental Investigation of CI Engine Fueled with Diesel and Kerosene Blend with Cotton Seed Oil- A Review, IJARIIE, Volume 2 , Issue 3, 2016, Pages 3881-3886.
-  S Madiwale, A Karthikeyan and V Bhojwani, A Comprehensive Review of Effect of Biodiesel Additives on Properties, Performance, and Emission, IOP Conf. Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Volume 197, 2017.
Publication order reference