Sense of sexual attractiveness, sexual behaviors and satisfaction in gay men and lesbians in late adulthood
Languages of publication
The aim of this paper is to present the results of studies on the influence of self-evaluation of sexual attractiveness on sexual behaviors and satisfaction of gay men and lesbians in late adulthood. Within the framework of the project it was assumed that global self-evaluation of sexual attractiveness consists of: sense of physical attractiveness and self-evaluation of sexual ability. Interesting results of studies are the following findings: (1) generally sense of physical attractiveness seems to have a stronger influence on sexual behavior than self-evaluation of sexual ability; (2) in the lesbians’ group in late adulthood there is a stronger influence of the sense of physical attractiveness on sexual behaviors than in the gay men’s group, and (3) in the men’s group in late adulthood there is a stronger influence of self-assessment of sexual ability on sexual behaviors than in the women’s group.
- Aronson, E., Wilson, T.D., Akert, R.M. (2004). Social psychology. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- Baron, R.E., Byrne, D. (1997). Social psychology. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Berger, R.M. (1996). Gay and gray: the older homosexual man (2nd ed.). Binghamton, NY: The Haworth Press.
- Bialy, K. (2003). Care of own figure. Research results of BS/154/2003 project. Warszawa: CBOS, www.cbos.pl [in Polish].
- Bretschneider, J.G., McCoy, N.L. (1998). Sexual interest and behavior in healthy 80 to 102-years-olds. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 17, 109-129.
- Buczkowski, A. (2005). Social development of body: gender and sex. Krakow: Universitas [in Polish].
- Buss, D.M. (2004). Evolutionary psychology: the new science of the mind. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Craig, J.C. (1996). Human development. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Davison, S., Bell, R., LaChina, M., Holden, S., Davis, S. (2008). Sexual function in well women: Stratification by sexual satisfaction, hormone use, and menopause status. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 5, 1214-1222.
- Dixson, B.J., Dixson, A.F., Morgan, B., Anderson M.J. (2007). Human physique and sexual attractiveness: sexual preferences of men and women in Bakossiland, Cameroon. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 36, 369-375.
- Doroszewicz, K. (2002). On physical attractiveness of women. W: E. Stojanowska (red.), Possibilities and limitations in developing one’s own interpersonal attractiveness (s. 61-76). Warszawa: APS [in Polish].
- Faith, M.S., Schare, M.L. (1993). The role of body image in sexually avoidant behavior. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 22, 345-356.
- Fokkema, T., Kuyper, L. (2009). The relation between social embeddedness and loneliness among older lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults in the Netherlands. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 38, 264-275.
- Giddens, A. (2005). Sociology. Cambridge: Polity Press.
- Gindrich, P. (2006). Self-esteem and attractiveness. URL: www.pedagogikaspecjalna.tripod.com [in Polish].
- Goldenson, R., Anderson, K. (1994). Dictionary of sex. Hertfordshire: Wordsworth Editions Ltd.
- Gormly, A. (1997). Lifespan human development. Fort Worth: Hartcourt Brace College Publishers.
- Grabowska, M. (2007a). Gender identity and sexual behaviors in the adulthood. Polish Journal of Social Science, 2, 1, 151-175.
- Grabowska, M. (2007b). Intimate relationship’s indicators and changes in sexual behaviors in three stages of adulthood. Developmental Psychology, 12, 4, 29-40 [in Polish].
- Grabowska, M. (2009). Gender and sex stereotypes as determinants of sexual behaviors in late adulthood. Developmental Psychology, 14, 4, 45-57 [in Polish].
- Hyde, J.S. (1979). Understanding human sexuality. New York: McGraw-Hill Inc.
- Izdebski, Z. (2004). We are attractive but ... Research conducted by TNS OBOP. www.ns-global.pl [in Polish].
- Kaplan, A.G., Sedney, M.A. (1980). Psychology and sex roles. An androgynous perspective. Boston-Toronto: Little, Brown & Co.
- Kaschak, E. (1992). Engendered lives: A new psychology of women’s experience. New York: Basic Books.
- Koch, P.B., Mansfield, P.K., Thurau, D., Carey, M. (2005). ‘Feeling frumpy’: the relationships between body image and sexual response changes in midlife women. Journal of Sex Research, 42, 2, 215-223.
- Leary, M. (1995). Self-presentation: Impression management and interpersonal behavior. Madison, WI: Brown & Benchmark Publishers.
- Lew-Starowicz, Z. (1997). Sexual disorders therapy. Warszawa: PZWL [in Polish].
- Lew-Starowicz, Z. (2004). Encyclopedia of eroticism. Warszawa: Muza S.A. [in Polish].
- Lipowska, M., Lipowski, M. (2006). Self-evaluation of attractiveness in women in various age groups. W: A. Chybicka, M. Kazmierczak (red.), Woman in culture – culture in woman (s. 385-402). Krakow: Oficyna Wydawnicza Impuls [in Polish].
- Lips, H.M. (2005). Sex and gender: An introduction. Boston: McGraw Hill.
- Matlin, M.W. (1996). The psychology of women. Fort Worth: Harcourt Brace College Publishers.
- McDougal, G.J. (1993). Therapeutic issues with gay and lesbian elders. Clinical Gerontologist, 14, 45-57.
- McFarland, P.L., Sanders, S. (2003). A Pilot Study About the Needs of Older Gays and Lesbians: What Social Workers Need to Know. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 40, 3, 67-80.
- Meri-Esh, O., Doron, I. (2009). Aging with Pride in Israel: An Israeli Perspective on the Meaning of Homosexuality in Old Age. Ageing International, 34, 43-59.
- Mirucka, B. (2003). Physical-self as a personality basis. Polish Psychological Forum, 8, 1-2, 30-40 [in Polish].
- Myers, D.G. (2008). Social psychology. Boston: McGraw Hill.
- Nash, R., Fieldman, G., Hussey, T. (2005). The influence of sexual orientation on participants’ judgments of facial attractiveness in older women. Sexualities, Evolution & Gender, 7, 2, 135-152.
- Neville, S., Henrickson, M. (2010). ‘Lavender retirement’: A questionnaire survey of lesbian, gay and bisexual people’s accommodation plans for old age. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 16, 6, 586-594.
- Perlmutter, M., Hall, E. (1992). Adult development and aging. Toronto: Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Phillips, J., Marks, G. (2008). Ageing lesbians: Marginalising discourses and social exclusion in the aged care industry. Journal of Gay & Lesbian Social Services, 20, 187-202.
- Pietrzak, H., Halaj, J.B. (2000). Social psychology in practice. Rzeszow: Wydawnictwo WSP [in Polish].
- Prentice, D.A., Carranza, E. (2002). What women and men should be, shouldn’t be, are allowed to be, and don’t have to be: The contents of prescriptive gender stereotypes. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 26 (4), 269-281.
- Pujols, Y., Meston, C.M., Seal, B.N. (2010). The Association Between Sexual Satisfaction and Body Image in Women. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 7, 2, 905-916.
- Rice, F.P. (1998). Human development. A life-span approach. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall Inc.
- Sabini, J. (1995). Social psychology. New York: Norton & Company.
- Schaie, K.W., Willis, S.L. (2002). Adult development and aging. New Jersey: Pine Tree Composition, Inc.
- Schulz, R., Ewen, R. (1993). Adult development and aging. Myths and emerging realities. New York: Macmillan Publishing Co.
- Smolak, L. (1993). Adult development. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall Inc.
- Turner, J.S., Helms, B.D. (1994). Contemporary Adulthood. Fort Worth: Harcourt Brace College Publishers.
- Weaver, A.D., Byers, E.S. (2006) The relationships among body image, body mass index, exercise, and sexual functioning in heterosexual women. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 30, 333-339.
- Weeden, J., Sabini, J. (2007). Subjective and objective measures of attractiveness and their relation to sexual behavior and sexual attitudes in university students. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 36, 79-88.
- Wojciszke, B. (2006). A person among people. Warszawa: Wydawnictwo Naukowe Scholar [in Polish].
- Woods, N.F., Mitchell, E.S., Smith-Di Julio, K. (2010). Sexual desire during the menopausal transition and early postmenopause: observations from the Seattle Midlife Women’s Health Study. Journal of Women’s Health, 19, 2, 209-218.
- Wosinska, W. (2004). Psychology of social life. Gdańsk: GWP [in Polish].
- Yamamiya, Y., Cash, T.F., Thompson, J.K. (2006). Sexual experiences among college women: The differential effects of general versus contextual body images on sexuality. Sex Roles, 55, 421-427.
- Zając-Lamparska, L. (2008). Współczesny obraz człowieka starszego wśród młodych dorosłych. Polskie Forum Psychologiczne, 13, 2, 124-140 [in Polish].
- Ziółkowska, B. (2003). Determinants of disturbed body perception in anorexia from developmental perspective. Polish Psychological Forum, 8, 1-2, 78-86 [in Polish].
Publication order reference