Treating the 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene (DMBA) induced buccal pouch carcinoma in Syrian hamster, Mesocricetus auratus (L) with ethanolic extractives of leaves of mulberry, Morus alba (L).
Languages of publication
The leaf extract of mulberry, Morus alba (L) in ethanol was used to treat the 7,12-dimethylbenz-anthracene (DMBA) - induced carcinoma in the buccal pouch of Syrian hamster, Mesocricetus auratus (L). The 0.5 percent DMBA in liquid paraffin was used for painting the buccal pouch. The DMBA treatment was carried thrice a week for 14 weeks. This was resulted into squamous cell carcinoma. The parameters analyzed include: The tumor incidence, volume and burden. It was followed by oral treatment with ethanolic extractives of mulberry leaves (TpEt) at a dosage of 300 mg/kg, body weight, to DMBA (on alternate days for 14 weeks)- painted animals. Administration of ethanolic extractive of mulberry leaves was found preventing significantly the incidence, volume and burden of the buccal pouch carcinoma. The ethanolic extractive of mulberry leaves exhibited significant effect, especially, the antilipidperoxidation and antioxidative enhancement in DMBA individuals of Syrian hamsters. The results are demonstrating the potency of ethanolic extractive of mulberry leaves for chemoprevention and significant antilipidperoxidative influence in 7,12-dimethylbenz-anthracene (DMBA)- induced carcinoma in the buccal pouch of Syrian hamster, Mesocricetus auratus (L). The activation of caspase through release of cytochrome C through disruption of mitochondrial membrane potential may be the sequence of action of the active principles of mulberry leaf extractives. With it’s bioactive compounds, mulberry, Morus alba (L) may open a new avenue in the cancer prevention and treatment. Taken together, the present attempt provide experimental evidence that leaves of mulberry may have chemopreventive effects on cancerous growth. Mulberry, Morus alba (L) may provide a therapeutic option for controlling the growth of cancer cells.
-  Babita M. Sakdeo and Vitthalrao B. Khyade (2013). Effect of Moracin on DMBA – TPA induced skin tumor formation in the mice. International Journal Advanced Biological Research 3(4): 576-583.
-  Bernstein C, Nfonsam V, Prasad AR, Bernstein H (March 2013). "Epigenetic field defects in progression to cancer". World J Gastrointest Oncol 5(3): 43-49.
-  Bernstein, Carol; Prasad, Anil R.; Nfonsam, Valentine; Bernstein, Harris (2013). "DNA Damage, DNA Repair and Cancer". In Prof. Clark Chen (Ed.). New Research Directions in DNA Repair. InTech. doi:10.5772/53919. ISBN 978-953-51-1114-6.
-  Beutler, E. and Kelley, B. M. (1963). The effect of sodium nitrate on RBC glutathione. Experimentia 29: 96-102.
-  Boring, C. C.; Squire, T. S. and Tong, T.; Montgomery, S. (1994). Cancer Statistics. Calif. Cancer J. Clin. 44: 7-26.
-  Connie Henke Yarbro, Debra Wujcik, Barbara Holmes Gobel, ed. (2011). Cancer nursing: principles and practice (7 ed.). Jones & Bartlett Publishers. pp. 901-905. ISBN 978-1-4496-1829-2.
-  Craig, W. J. (1999). Health Promoting Properties of Common Herbs. American Journal Clinical Nutrition 70: 491-499.
-  Desai, F. D. (1984). Vitamin E analysis methods for animal tissues. Fischer, S. and Packer, L. editors. New York: Methods in enzymology; Academic Press.
-  Deshpande, S. S.; Shah, G. B. and Parmar, N. S. (2003). Antiulcer activity to Tephrosia purpurea in rats. Indian Journal of Pharmacology 35: 631-637.
-  Dodge, J. F.; Michell, G. and Hanahan, D. J. (1968). The preparation of haemoglobin free ghosts of human red blood cells. Arch. BiochemBiophy. 110: 119-148.
-  Donnan, S. K. (1950). The thiobarbituric acid test applied to tissues from rats treated in various way. J. Biol. Chem. 182: 415-423.
-  Stephen S. Hecht, Fekadu Kassie, and Dorothy K. Hatsukami. Chemoprevention of Lung Carcinogenesis in Addicted Smokers and Ex-Smokers. Nat Rev Cancer. 2009 Jul; 9(7): 10.1038/nrc2674. doi: 10.1038/nrc2674
-  Hegan, DC; Narayanan, L; Jirik, FR; Edelmann, W; Liskay, RM; Glazer, PM (2006)."Differing patterns of genetic instability in mice deficient in the mismatch repair genes Pms2, Mlh1, Msh2, Msh3 and Msh6". Carcinogenesis 27(12): 2402-2408.
-  Jacinto FV, Esteller M (July 2007). "Mutator pathways unleashed by epigenetic silencing in human cancer". Mutagenesis 22(4): 247-253.
-  Johnson, I. T. (1997). Plant anticarcinogens. Eur. J. Cancer Prev. 6: 15-21.
-  Joshi, S. G. (2000). Oleaceae. In: Medicinal Plants. New Delhi: Oxford and IBH publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd. Page: 211.
-  Kakkar, D.; Das, B. and Viswanathan, P. N. (1984). A modified spectrophotometric assay of superoxide dismutase. Indian J. Biochem Biophy. 21: 130 -131.
-  Lahtz C, Pfeifer GP (February 2011). Epigenetic changes of DNA repair genes in cancer. J Mol Cell Biol 3(1): 51-58.
-  McCord, J. M. (2000). The evolution of free radicals and oxidative stress. Am. J. Med. 108: 652.
-  Moore, S. R.; Johnson, N. W.; Pierce, A. M. and Wilson, D. F. (2000). The epidemiology of mouth cancer: A review of global incidence. Oral Dis. 6: 65-74.
-  Murgia C, Pritchard JK, Kim SY, Fassati A, Weiss RA (August 2006). "Clonal origin and evolution of a transmissible cancer". Cell 126(3): 477-487.
-  Narayanan, L; Fritzell, JA; Baker, SM; Liskay, RM; Glazer, PM (1997). "Elevated levels of mutation in multiple tissues of mice deficient in the DNA mismatch repair gene Pms2". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 94(7): 3122-3127.
-  Ohkawa, H.; Ohishi, N. and Yagi, K. (1979). Assay for lipid perioxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Annal Biochem. 95: 351-358.
-  Omaye, S. T. and Turnbull, J. D. (1979). Selected methods for the determination of ascorbic acid in animal cells, tissues and fluids. In: McCormic, D. B. and Wright, D. C. editors. New York: Methods in Enzymology, Academic Press.
-  Quist, E. H. (1980). Regulation of erythrocyte membrane shape by calcium ion. BiochemBiophys. Res. Commun. 92: 631-637.
-  Ray, G. and Husain, S. A. (2002). Oxidant, antioxidants and carcinogenesis. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology 40: 1213-1244.
-  Rotruck, J. T.; Pope, A. L.; Ganther, H. E.; Swanson, A. B.; Hafeman, D. G. and Hoekstra, W. G. (1973). Selenium: Biochemical role as a component of glutathione peroxidase. Science 179: 588-590.
-  Sabitha, K. E. and Shyamladevi, C. S. (1999). Oxidant and antioxidant activity changes in patients with oral cancer and treated with radiotheraphy. Oral Oncology 35: 273-279.
-  Saleem, M.; Ahmed, S.; Alam, A. and Sultana, S. (1999). Tephrosia purpurea alleviates phorbol ester - induced tumor promotion response in murine skin. Pharm. Pharmacol. Comm. 5: 455-461.
-  Sharma, S.; Stutzman, I. D.; Kelloff, G. J. and Steele, V. E. (1994). Screening of potential chemopreventive agents using biochemical markers of carcinogenesis. Cancer Research 54: 5848-5855.
-  Sinha, K. A. (1972). Colorimetric assay of catalase. Anal Biochem. 47: 389-394.
-  Subapriya, R.; Kumaraguruparan, R.; Ram Chandran, C. R. and Nagini, S. (2002). Oxidant – antioxidant status in patients with oral squamous cell carcinomas at different intraoral sites. Clinical Biochemistry 35: 489-493.
-  Thamm, Douglas (March 2009). "How companion animals contribute to the fight against cancer in humans", Veterinaria Italiana 54(1): 11-120.
-  Thirunavukkarasu, C.; Prince Vijeyasingh, J.; Selvendiran, K. and Sakthisekaran, D. (2001). Chemopreventive efficacy of selenium against DEN – induced hepatoma in albino rats. Cell Biochem. Funct. 19: 265-271.
-  Ujjwala D. Lonkar and Vitthalrao B. Khyade (2013). Effect of Moracin on DMBA – TPA induced cancer in mice, Mus musculus (L). Annals of Plant Sciences 2(10), 412-419.
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade; Vivekanand V. Khyade and Sunanda V. Khyade (2013). Use of Moracin in preventing the cancer. Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology 4(5), 96-104.
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade and Vivekanand V. Khyade (2013). Plants : The Source of Animal Hormones. “Frontiers in Life Sciences”, the book published by Science Impact publication, Ahmedpur (Latur) – 413515 (India): 151 – 168. Editor: Dr. Sayyed Iliyas Usman (Poona College, Camp Pune). ISBN: 978-93-5067-394-2.
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade and Vivekanand V. Khyade (2013). The Phytocompounds of Animal Hormone Analogues. Annals of Plant Sciences 2(5): 125-137.
-  Vitthalrao B. Khyade (2014). Effect of leaf extractives of Mulberry, Morus alba (L) on biochemical parameters in diabetic rats. International Multidisciplinary III(III), 21-33.
-  Yagi, K. (1978). Lipid peroxides and human disease. Chem. Physiol. Lipids 45: 337-351.
Publication order reference