Performance of Community Water Supply Management towards Designing Water Safety Plan
Languages of publication
Potable water is a commodity and basic necessity of life for which metropolitan areas and adjacent areas are to pay. Water from Manila Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) has also become a problem considering the low water supply coming from their sources. Because of El Nino phenomena and other problems of the water system, rationing Metro Manila was implemented. This descriptive study aimed to assess the performance and effectiveness of community water supply management in terms of the quality of water such taste, odor, color, sediments, service and cost and design water safety plan for the community. Purposive sampling was used to determine the participation of the knowledgeable homeowners of Karangalan Village in the province of Rizal. Some interesting insights of the study are: Potable water is the water delivered to the homeowners. However, there are sediments and brownish color observed in the water due to pipe corrosion. In terms of service, the performance of the water system delivered to the homeowners is acceptable based on the volume delivery, accessibility, availability, promptness, and reliability. Homeowners who use potable water are satisfied in terms of its efficiency, effectiveness, user-friendly, promptness and expandability. Water safety plan is an integral part of the whole planning process and helps improve the management of Karangalan village water supply and may be undertaken or updated at any time
-  Ahmed, M. F., Ahuja, S., Alauddin, M., Hug, S. J., Lloyd, J. R., Pfaff, A., & Van Geen, A. (2006). Ensuring safe drinking water in Bangladesh. Science, 314(5806) 1687-1688.
-  Bakker, K. (2008). The ambiguity of community: Debating alternatives to private sector provision of urban water supply. Water Alternatives, 1(2), 236.
-  Baltazar, J., Briscoe, J., Mesola, V., Moe, C., Solon, F., Vanderslice, J., & Young, B. (1988). Can the case-control method be used to assess the impact of water supply and sanitation on diarrhea? A study in the Philippines. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 66(5), 627.
-  Båmstedt, U., & Skjoldal, H. R. (1976). Studies on the deep-water pelagic community of Korsfjorden, Western Norway: Adenosine phosphates and nucleic acids in Euchaeta norvegica (Copepoda) in relation to its life cycle. Sarsia, 60(1), 63-80.
-  Bartram, J. (2009). Water safety plan manual: step-by-step risk management for drinking-water suppliers. World Health Organization.
-  Bennett, D. (2012). Does clean water make you dirty? Water supply and sanitation in the Philippines. Journal of Human Resources, 47(1), 146-173.
-  Bohm, R. A., Essenburg, T. J., & Fox, W. F. (1993). Sustainability of potable water services in the Philippines. Water Resources Research, 29(7), 1955-1963.
-  Borrell, A., Garside, A., & Fukai, S. (1997). Improving efficiency of water use for irrigated rice in a semi-arid tropical environment. Field Crops Research, 52(3), 231-248.
-  Duineveld, G. C. A., Lavaleye, M. S. S., & Berghuis, E. M. (2004). Particle flux and food supply to a seamount cold-water coral community (Galicia Bank, NW Spain). Marine Ecology Progress Series, 277, 13-23.
-  Dyck, A., Exner, M., & Kramer, A. (2007). Experimental based experiences with the introduction of a water safety plan for a multi-located university clinic and its efficacy according to WHO recommendations. BMC Public Health, 7(1), 1.
-  Esrey, S. A., Potash, J. B., Roberts, L., & Shiff, C. (1991). Effects of improved water supply and sanitation on ascariasis, diarrhoea, dracunculiasis, hookworm infection, schistosomiasis, and trachoma. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 69(5), 609.
-  Fawcett, P. (1998). Water safety education. Strategies, 12(1), 25-28.
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2016). Effectiveness and Impacts of Communal Irrigation Projects in Agriculture. International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, 90, 61-70.
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2016). A Case Study of Site Conditions and Ground Stability of Town Homes. International Journal of Smart Home, 10(1), 207-216.
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2015). Towards Model Integrations of Tools and Techniques for Project Management Success. International Journal of u-and e-Service, Science and Technology, 8(7), 49-62.
-  Kariuki, M., & Schwartz, J. (2005). Small-scale private service providers of water supply and electricity: A review of incidence, structure, pricing, and operating characteristics (Vol. 3727). World Bank Publications.
-  Korten, F. (1982). Building national capacity to develop water users' associations: Experience from the Philippines. The World Bank.
-  Krishna, A., Uphoff, N., & Esman, M. J. (1997). Reasons for hope: instructive experiences in rural development. Kumarian Press.
-  Mälzer, H. J., Staben, N., Hein, A., & Merkel, W. (2010). Identification, assessment, and control of hazards in water supply: experiences from Water Safety Plan implementations in Germany. Water Science and Technology, 61(5), 1307-1315.
-  Moe, C. L., Sobsey, M. D., Samsa, G. P., & Mesolo, V. (1991). Bacterial indicators of risk of diarrhoeal disease from drinking-water in the Philippines. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 69(3), 305.
-  Munasinghe, M. (1992). Water supply and environmental management: developing world applications. Westview Press.
-  Nolan, B. T., & Hitt, K. J. (2006). Vulnerability of shallow groundwater and drinking-water wells to nitrate in the United States. Environmental science & technology, 40(24), 7834-7840.
-  Sobsey, M. D. (2002). Managing water in the home: accelerated health gains from improved water supply. Geneva: World Health Organization.
-  Summerill, C., Pollard, S. J., & Smith, J. A. (2010). The role of organizational culture and leadership in water safety plan implementation for improved risk management. Science of the total environment, 408(20), 4319-4327.
-  Tabbal, D. F., Bouman, B. A. M., Bhuiyan, S. I., Sibayan, E. B., & Sattar, M. A. (2002). On-farm strategies for reducing water input in irrigated rice; case studies in the Philippines. Agricultural Water Management, 56(2), 93-112.
-  Yoshioka, P. M., & Yoshioka, B. (1989). A multispecies, multiscale analysis of spatial pattern and its application to a shallow-water gorgonian community. Marine ecology progress series. Oldendorf, 54(3), 257-264.
Publication order reference