Mesogenic Dependence of Chalconyl Schiff’s Bases on Molecular Rigidity and Flexibility
Languages of publication
A novel homologous series R0-C6H4.CH:N-C6H4.CO.CH:CH-C6H4-OC6H13(n) of liquid crystal property is synthesized and studied with a view to understand and establish the effect of molecular structure on liquid crystal properties with respect to Schiff base and chalconyl central bridges as well as changing left n-alkoxy terminal and right n-hexyloxy fixed tail ended group. Homologous series consisted of eleven (C1 to C16) homologues in which the nematogenic mesomorphism commences from C3 homologue and continued to last C16 homologue without exhibition of smectogenic property. Rest of the C1 and C2 homologues are nonmesomorphic, whose Latent transition temperature (LTT) are predicted by extrapolation of N-I transition curves. Odd-even effect is observed for N-I transition curve. N-I transition curve and Cr-N/I transition curve behaved in normal manner. The Nematic thermal stability is 72.2 ° C. The minimum and maximum nematogenic mesophaselengths are ranging between 12.0 °C and 30.0 °C at C16 and C14 homologue respectively. Transition temperatures were determined by an optical polarizing microscopy (POM), equipped with a heating stage. Thermal analytical and spectral data confirms the molecular structures of homologues. The novel homologous series of chalconyl Schiff’s base is low melting series, whose mesogenic transition temperatures ranges between 43.0 °C and 79.0 °C.
-  F. Reinitzer, Monatsh 9, 421 (1888).
-  Hird. M. Toyne. K. J. and Gray. G. W. Day S. E and Mc. Donell D.G (1993), Liq. Cryst. 15, 123.
-  P.J. Collings and M. Hird (1997). Introduction of Liquid crystals chemistry and physics, Taylor and Francis Ltd. U. K. 1998.
-  Macros. M, Omenat. A, Serrano. J. L and Ezcurra. A (1992). Adv. Matter 4, 285.
-  Hird, M, Toyne, K. J. Gray. G. W. Day S. E. (1993). Liq. Cryst. 14, 741.
-  C. T. Imrie, Liq. Crystal dimers. Struct. Bond 95 (1999) 149-192.
-  G.W. Gray (1974). In; G. W. Gray and Winsor (eds) liquid crystals and plastic crystals, Chater 4, Volume 1, pp. 103-153.
-  G.W. Gray, Molecular structures and properties of liquid crystals. Academic Press, London, 1962.
-  G.W. Gray and P.A. Winsor (Eds) Liquid crystals and plastic crystals, chapter - 6.2. The role of liquid crystal in life processes by G.T. Stewart, Vol. 1, pp. 308-326.
-  P.A. Henderson, O. Niemeyer, and C.T. Imrie. Methylene- linked liquid crystal dimers. Liq. Cryst 28 (2001) 463-472.
-  C.T. Imrie and G.R. Luckhurst, Liquid dimers and oligomers in handbook of Liquid crystal, law molecular liquid crystals; Vol. 28, D. Demus, J.W.Goodby, G.W.Graw, H. Spiess and V.Vill eds, Willey-VCH weinhe 1998, pp. 801-833.
-  D. Demus. 100 years of liquid crystal chemistry. Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 165 (1988) 45-84.
-  D. Demus, Plenary lectures 100 years of liquid crystals chemistry, Thermotropic liquid crystals with conventional molecular structure. Liq. Cryst. 5 (1988) 75-110.
-  Doshi A.V., Joshi C.G., Patel V.R. (2011). Synthesis and study of Liquid Crystallinity of Benzoate Derivatives in a Laterally substituted Homologous series; n-Propyl-o-[p’-n-alkoxy benzoyloxy] benzoates. Der Pharma Chemica 3(5), 191-197.
-  D.M. Suthar and A.V. Doshi. Mol. Cryst. Liq. 575 (2013) 76-83.
-  H.N. Chauhan and A.V. Doshi. Mol.Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 570 (2013) 92-100
-  R.P. Chaudhary, M.L.Chauhan and A.V. Doshi, Mol.Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 575 (2013) 88-95.
-  (b) Rajesh B. Marathe and Doshi A.V., Study of Liquid Crystal Behavior and Dependence on Additional central Bridge of Ester Homologous Series. Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 616 (2015) 74-82.
-  U.C. Bhoya, N.N. Vyas and A.V. Doshi. Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 552 (2012) 104-110.
-  Rajesh B. Marathe, N.N. Vyas and Doshi A.V., Molecular Flexibility Operated Mesomorphism. ILCPA 52 (2015) 163-171.
-  Patel B.H., V.R. Patel & Doshi A.V., Mesomorphism Dependence on Molecular Flexibility by –OCH3 and –H Terminal Units. Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 609 (2015) 10-18.
-  R.C. Tandel, Gohil Jayvirsinh and Patel Nilesh K., Synthesis and Study of main chain Chalcone Polymers Exhibiting Nematic Phases. Res. J. Recent. Sci. 1 (2012) 122-127.
-  N.G. Nagaveni and Prasad, V., Phase Tran. 86, 12 (2013) 1227.
-  Ha, S. T. and Low, Y.W. (2013). J. Chemistry, Vol. 2013, Article ID 943723, 6 Pages, doi:10.1155/2013/943723
-  N.G. Nagaveni and Prasad, V. Phase Tran., 86, 12, 1227, 2013.
-  B. Trivedi, V.S. Shah, A.V. Doshi, Acta ciencia Indica. Chemistry 19, 91-91, (1993).
-  V.R. Patel and A.V. Doshi, J. Indian Chem. Soci. Vol. 85, March 2008, 267-272.
-  A.V. Doshi and N.N. Joshi, J. Indian Chem. Soci. Vol. 70, October 1993, 807-809.
-  (a) J.M. Lohar and A.V. Doshi, Studies on mixed mesomorphism: Determination of latent transition temperature [ LTT ] by extrapolation proceeding of Indian Acad. Of Science - Banglore, Vol. 105, No 3, June 1993, pp. 209-214.
-  N.G.Makwana and A.V. Doshi, J. Indian Chem. Soci. (2008), 85(3), 262-266.
-  V. Doshi, U. C. Bhoya and J. J. Travadi, Determination of Transition Temperatures of Non-Mesogenic by extrapolation method in Binary Systems. Mol. Cyst. Liq. Cryst. Vol. 552, 10-15, 2012.
-  U. C. Bhoya, N. N. Vyas and A. V. Doshi. Determination of Latent mesogenic Behaviour in Non-mesogenic compounds by extrapolation. Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. Vol. 552, 104-110, 2012.
-  U. C. Kotadiya, M. D. Khunt and U. C. Bhoya. Mole. Cryst. And Liq. Cryst. 626 (2016) 45-57.
-  G. N. Bhola and U. C. Bhoya, Mole. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 630 (2016) 154-161.
Publication order reference