Performance of some forage rass species in the Southern Guinea Savannah agro-ecological zone in Nasarawa State of Nigeria
Languages of publication
The absence of improved forage grass species in Nasarawa ecological zone has prompted a study to identify improved species for use. A potted screen house study was therfore conducted using four improved forage grass species obtained from the National Animal Production Research Institute (NAPRI) Shika near Zaria, Nigeria. The four forage species were thus sown into four soil types obtained from four locations in Nasarawa State arranged in a randomized complete block design. Records were taken for percent emergence, weekly growth rate and dry matter yields. The results indicated that there was significant differences in the percent emergence, weekly growth rate and dry matter yield.
-  Adams BW, Ehlert G, Robertson A (1991). Grazing systems for public grazing lands. Range notes No 10 Alberta Forestry lands and Wildlife, Public Lands, Division, Leth-Bridge, Alberta. pp. 1-8.
-  Agishi, E. C. (1983). Forage legumes and pasture development in Nigeria. In: Saka Nuru and R.G. Ryan eds. Proceedings of Nigeria-Australia Seminar on Collaborative Agricultural Research, Shika, Nigeria, 14 – 15 November, 1983. ACIAR Proceedings Series, No. 4. Pp. 79-87.
-  Akinola, J. O. (1975). A preliminary assessment of forage legumes grown under irrigation for out-of-season dry matter and crude protein production. Samaru Agricultural Newsletter, 17(2), 62-67.
-  Amanullah. 2004. Physiology, partitioning of assimilates and yield of maize as affected by plant density rate and timing of nitrogen application. Ph.D. dissertation submitted to Agronomy Department, Agric. Univ. Peshawar, Pakistan.
-  Ariba O.O. (1987). Effect of fertilizer Nitrogen on the herbage production of pasture grasses supplementary irrigated At kadawa, Northern Nigeria. M.sc. thesis, Department of Animal science Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria Nigeria. 64 pp
-  Asare, E. O. (1974). Dry matter yield, chemical composition and nutritive value of buffel grass grown alone and in mixture with other tropical grasses and legumes. Procs. 12th International Grassland Congress. pp. 45-55.
-  Ayuko, L. J. (1975). Assessment of potential for rangeland improvement. In: Procs. of the Seminar on Evaluation and Mapping of Tropical African Rangelands, held in Bamako, Mali. 3-8 March 1975. Pp. 277-279.
-  Barnett, J. P. and Baker, J. B. (1991). Regeneration methods. In: M.L. Duryea and P.M. Dougherty (eds.) Forest Regeneration Manual, pp. 35-50.
-  Barnhart, S. K. (2004). Interseeding and no-till pasture renovation. Extension Srevice, Iowa State University of Science and Technology, Ames, Iowa, U.S.A.
-  Beale, I.F. (1973). Tree density effects on yields of herbage and tree components in South-west Queensland Mulga (Acacia aneura F. Muell) Scrub. Tropical Grasslands 7, 135-139.
-  Bogdan, A. V., (1969). Rhodes grass: Herb Abstract. Common wealth agricultural bureau 39: 1-13.
-  Bogdan, A. V., (1977). Tropical pastures and fodder plants. Trop. Agric. Ser., Longman Inc.New York pp. 77-86.
-  Briske, D.D. (1991). Developmental morphology and physiology of grasses. In: (Eds.): R.K. Heitschmidt and J.W. Stuth. Grazing Management.An Ecological Perspective. Timber Press, Portland pp. 20, 51-64.
-  Brumby, P. J. (1987). Livestock.A sector Policy Paper.World Bank. Washington DC. USA.
-  Chamshama , S. A. O. and Nduwayezu, J. B. (2002). Rehabilitation of Degraded Sub-humid Lands in Sub-Saharan Africa: A synthesis. 44 pp.
-  Chloris gayana, Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) (2014) of the United Nations.
-  Cook, B.G., Pengelly, B.C., Brown, S.D., Donnelly, J.L., Eagles, D.A., Franco, M.A., Hanson, J., Mullen, B.F., Partridge, I.J., Peters, M. and Schultze-Kraft, R. 2005. Tropical Forages: an interactive selection tool. CD-ROM. CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems (CSIRO), Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F Queensland), Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical (CIAT) and International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), Brisbane, Queensland.
-  Crowder, L. V. and Chheda, H. R. (1982).Tropical Grassland Husbandry, Tropical Agricultural Series, Longman Group Ltd, Longman House, Burnt Mill, Harlow, Essex, U.K.
-  Deifel, K.S., P.M. Kopittkeand N.W. Menzies.2006. Growth Response of Various Perennial Grasses to Increasing Salinity. Journal of Plant Nutrition, 29(9), 1573-1584
-  Dyksterhius, E. J. (1983). Habitat-type: A review. Rangelands 5, 270-271
-  Ehlert, G. (1990). When should I reseed? Alberta Agriculture. Range Resource Management Program, Range Management Branch, Lands Division, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development.
-  February, E.C. and S.I. Higgins. (2010). The distribution of tree and grass roots in savannas in relation to soil nitrogen and water. South African J. of Bot. 76, 517-525.
-  Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) (1981). Feed Information Summaries and Nutritive Values. Tropical Feeds. First edition. Publ. International Foundation for Science, Stockholm, Sweden. 200pp.
-  Gibbs Russell, G.E., Watson, L., Koekemoer, M., Smook, L., Barker, N.P., Anderson, H.M. & Dallwitz, M.J. 1990. Grasses of southern Africa. Memoirs of the Botanical Survey of South Africa No. 58, 10, 11.
-  Gillard, P. (1977). Establishment of Townsville stylo in native perennial grass pastures. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture and Animal Husbandry. 17 : 784 -788.
-  Gonzelez C.L. and M.D. Heilman. 1977. Yield and chemical composition of costal Bermuda grass, Rhodes grass and volunteer species grown on saline and non-saline .J. Range Manage, 30, 227-230.
-  Griggs, T. C. and Kingery, P. E. (1995), Performance of forage and conservation grasses in northern Idaho. Agricultural Experiment Station. 1 pp.
-  Grof B (1981). The performance of Andropogon gayanus-legume associations in Colombia. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 96, 233-237.
-  Hare, M.D. and Chaisang Phaikew (1997) Forage seed production in northeast Thailand. In: loch, D.S. and Ferguson, J.E. (eds) Forage seed production 2, Tropical and subtropical species. pp. 435-443. (CABI Publishing)
-  Hatam, M., M. Akmal. G. Habib and M. Siddiqui. 2001. Status paper on establishment of fodder and forage discipline.NWFP Agriculture University Peshawar pp. 105.
-  Heuzé V., Tran G., Boudon A., Lebas F., Rhodes grass (Chloris gayana). Feedipedia.org. A programme by INRA, CIRAD, AFZ and FAO. http://www.feedipedia.org/node/480 Last updated on October 15, 2014, 13:25
-  Holechek, J. L.; Pieper, R. D. and Herbel, C. H. (2004).Range Management :Priciples and Practices.5th Edition.Pearson, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. 607 pp.
-  Humphreys, L. R. (1997). The Evolving Science of Grassland Management. Cambridge; Cambridge University Press. 261 pp.
-  Jahnke, H. E. (1982). Livestock Production Systems and Livestock Development in Tropical Africa. KielerWissenschaftsverlagVauk. 253 pp.
-  Kallah, M.S. (2009). Model Grazing Reserve Development (Ruma-KukarJangarai, Udubo, PaikonKore grazing reserves). Unpublished Consultant Report to the National Livestock Projects Division (NLPD). 56 pp.
-  Krishna, G., G. Shivashankar and J. Nath. 1984. Mutagenic response of rhodes grass(ChlorisgayanaKunth.) to gamma rays. Environmental and Experimental Bot. 24, 197-205.
-  Lascano, C. E. (2000). Animal Production in Grass-Legume Pastures in the Tropics In:
-  Sotomayor-Rios, A and Pitman, W. D. (eds.). Tropical Forage Plants: Development and Use. CRC Press. 391 pp.
-  Loch, D. S.; Norman, F. G. and Willem A. van Neikerk. (2004). Warm season (C4) grasses. Warm season C4 grasses Agronomy Monograph No. 45, 833-871.
-  Manitoba Forage Council. (2006). Forage and Grassland Manual: Companion crops.
-  Marschner, H. (1995). Mineral nutrition of higher plants 2nd Edition. London: Academic Press
-  Mcllvain, E.H. and M.C. Shoop (1971). Shade for improving cattle gains and Rangeland use. Journal of Range Management 24, 92 - 181.
-  McKeague, P. J.; Millerand, C. P. and Anning, P. (1978). Verano: A New Stylo for Dry Tropics. Queensland Agricultural Journal 104, 31-35.
-  Mirza, S.N., N. Mohammad and I.A. Qamar, 2002. Effect of growth stages on quality of forage grasses. Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Research 17, 145–7.
-  Mohammad, N., (1987). Pakistan’s experience in Rangeland Rehabilitation and Improvement. P: 70. FAO: Rome.
-  Moore, K.J. and L.E. Moser. (1995). Quantifying developmental morphology of perennial ryegrass. Crop Science. 35, 37-43.
-  Morgan, R. P. C. and Rickson, R. J. (1995). Slope stabilization and erosion control: A Bio-engineering Approach. Taylor and Francis Press, UK. 274 pp.
-  Muhammad, I.R, S.A. Abubakar, (2004). Establishment and management of sown pastures.Forage production and management in Nigeria. 11-15.
-  Muhammad, I.R, S.A. Abubakar, (2004). Establishment and management of sown pastures. In the proceeding of Training Workshop on Pasture and Range Management in Nigeria. Held at the National Animal Production Research Institute, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. 10 -14 October 2004.
-  Muhammad, I.R. M.S.Kallah and R.J. Tanko. (1999). Guide to sorghum almum production and utilization. NAPRI Bulletin Vol. 2, june 1999. 45-51.
-  Nasarawa state ministry of information (2006): brief of Nasarawa State Nation population Census, 2006.
-  Nazarko, O. and Winnipeg, M. B. (2008). Sod Seeding: Seeding Forages into Existing Stands Using Minimum Tillage. Manitoba Agriculture, Food and Rural Initiatives Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Manitoba Forage Council. 21 pp.
-  Newman, J. L., Mehretu, A., Shillington, K. and Stock, R. (2007). Africa. Microsoft® Student Redmond, WA: Microsoft Corporation, 2006.
-  Agbede, O.O 1984. Factors Influencing the Mineralization of Organic Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Sulphur in Soils, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Aberdeen 272 pp.
-  Omokanye, A.T. (2001). Research Note: Forage yield and chemical composition of centro (Centrosema pubescens) in the year of establishment at Shika, Nigeria. Tropical Grasslands 35, 53-57.
-  Onyeonagu CC, Asiegbu JE (2005). Effect of cutting management and N-fertilizer application on plant height, tiller production and percentage dry matter in a run-down Panicum maximu pasture. J. Agric. Food, Environ. Exten. 4(2), 28-33.
-  Peters, M.; Horne, P. and Schmit, A. (2001). The role of forages in reducing poverty and degradation of natural resources in tropical production systems. London: Agricultural Research and Extension Network (AgREN) Paper 117. 12 pp.
-  Preston, T. R., (1995). Tropical Animal Feeding: A Manual for Researchers. FAO Animal Production and Health Paper 126. FAO: Rome.
-  Umrani, A. P, (1998). Sustainable approaches for rangeland management and livestock production in arid and semi arid regions of tropical countries. Ph.D. Thesis, Agriculture Department, Aberdeen University, UK.
-  Qamar, I.A., G. Akbar and M. Asif, 2000. Performance of summer grasses in arid rangelands of Dhabiji (Sindh). Sci. Technol. Develop. 19, 45-47
-  Qamar, I.A., (1997). The effect of defoliation of vetch, barley of their mixtures on forage yield quality of residual effects on the succeeding crops in rainfed areas of Pakistan. Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Agriculture, University of Reading, UK
-  Reynolds, H. G. and Martin, S. C. (1968). Managing grass-shrub cattle ranges in the southwest. USDA Agricultural Handbook 162.
-  Robson, M.J. G.J.A. Ryle and W. Woledge. 1988. The grass plant its form and function. In: (Eds.): M.B. Jones and A. Lazemby. The physiological basis of production. Chapman and Hall, New York.
-  Robinson, T.P., Thornton P.K., Franceschini, G., Kruska, R.L., Chiozza, F., Notenbaert, A., Cecchi, G., Herrero, M., Epprecht, M., Fritz, S., You, L., Conchedda, G. and See, L. (2011). Global livestock production systems. Rome, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), 152 pp.
-  Ruyle, G. B. (2003). Rangeland Livestock Production: Developing the concept of sustainability on the Santa Rita Experimental Range. In: M. P. McClaran, P. F. Ffolliott and C B. Edminster (Tech. Coords). Santa Rita Experimental Range:100 years (1903 to 2003) of accomplishment; Conference Proceeding; 2003 October 30-Noveember 1; Tucson, AZ. Proc. RMRS-P-30. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest service. Rocky Mountain Research Station.
-  Sansoucy, R. (1994). Livestock: A Driving Force for Food Security and Sustainable Development. FAO Working Paper. FAO: Rome, Italy, 26 pp.
-  Siegfried, L. (1990). Tropical Forage Legumes and Grasses. First Edition, Publ. Deutscher Landwirtschaftsverlag, Berlin. 335 pp.
-  Skerman, P. J., (1977). Tropical Forage Legumes, FAO: Rome, Italy. 692 pp.
-  Skerman, P. J.; Cameron, D. G. and Riveros, F. (1988).Tropical Forage legumes 2nd Edition. FAO Plant Production and Protection Series No. 2. Rome, Italy. 506 pp. Steinfeld, H. and Mäki-Hokkonen, J. (1995). A classification of Livestock production Systems. World Animal Review (50 Years Publication) 84 / 85 (2): 143
-  Skerman, P. J. and F. Riveros, (1990). Tropical grasses. FAO. Plant Prod. Ser. 23. FAO Rome Pp. 283-288
-  Sullivan, P. (2003). Converting cropland to perennial grassland.Agronomy Technical Note. National Center for Appropriate Technology, U.S.A.
-  Tanko, R.J. (1994). Productivity of Rangeland Sites in the Northern Guinea Savanna of Nigeria. A M.Sc. Thesis Submitted to the Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria. 73 pp.
-  Torres González, A.M.; Morton, C.M. (2005). Molecular and morphological phylogenetic analysis of Brachiaria and Urochloa (Poaceae). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 37 (1), 36-44. Doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2005.06.003 PMID 16039145.
-  Valentim, J. F. and de Andrade, C. M. S. (2004). Perspective of grass-legume pastures for sustainable animal production in the tropics. Invited Paper Presented at the 41st Annual Meeting of the Brazilian Society of Animal Science Campo Grand, Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil, July 19th - 23rd 2004.
-  Walsmsley, D.V., A.L. Sergeant and M. Dookeran, 1978. Effect of fertilizer on growth and composition of elephant grass (Pennisetumpurpureum) in Tobago, West Indies. Trop. Agric. (Trinidad), 55, 329-34
-  Wedin, D. A. (1996). Nutrient cycling in grasslands: an ecologist’s perspective. In: R. E. Joost and C. A. Roberts (Eds.) Nutrient Cycling in Forage Systems. Columbia: University of Missouri. Pp. 29-44.
-  West, N. E., McDaniel, K. C. Smith, E. L., Tueller, P. T. and Leonard, S. (1994). Monitoring and Interpreting Ecological Integrity on Arid and Semi - arid Lands of the Western United States. New Mexico Range Improvement Task Force, New Mexico State University of Las Cruces, New Mexico, U.S.A.
-  Whiteman, P.C. (1980). Tropical Pasture Science. First Edition Publ. Oxford University press. 392 pp.
Publication order reference