Sport-related traumatic injuries among schoolchildren (a questionnaire study)
Languages of publication
Background: Childhood represents a risk period of susceptibility to sport-related injuries. Objectives: The aim of the study was to investigate the prevalence of sports-related injuries including orofacial traumas in children attending primary schools and participating in competitive sports, then to compare their situation with that of children engaging in sporting activities only at school and in their leisure time. The second aim of the study was concentrated on the use of sports mouthguards. Methods : Data was obtained by means of a questionnaire and statistically analysed by the basic statistic methods in Microsoft Office Excel and Pearson’s chi-square test , and a statistical significance level p < 0.05 was established. Results: 341 children (175 girls and 166 boys) completed the questionnaires and 204 (59.8%) of them were competitive athletes. 146 (42.8%) children reported sports-related injuries and 47 (13.8%) children registered trauma of the orofacial region. Only 10 (2.9%) children regularly use sports mouthguards. No statistically significant differences were detected in the occurrence of sport-related injuries including orofacial traumas between the competitive athletes and non-competitive children. Conclusion: Sport-related trauma represents a risk not only for children engaging in competitive sport activities but also for children doing sports at school and occasionally in their free time.
- Andersson, L. (2013). Epidemiology of traumatic dental injuries. J Endod, 39 (3), 82–85.
- Andreasen, J.O., Andreasen, F.M., Andersson, L. (2007). Textbook and color atlas of traumatic injuries to the teeth. 4th ed. Copenhagen: Blackwell Munksgaard.
- Andreasen, J.O., Ravn, J.J. (1972). Epidemiology of traumatic dental injuries to primary and permanent teeth in a Danish population sample. Int J Oral Surg, 1 (5), 235–239.
- Atabek, D., Alaçam, A., Aydintuğ, I., Konakoğlu, G. (2013). A retrospective study of traumatic dental injuries. Dent Traumatol, 30 (2), 154–161.
- Biazevic, M.G.H., Michel-Crosato, E., Detoni, Â., Klotz, R., de Souza, E.R., de Paula Queluz, D. (2010). Orofacial injuries in sports and use of mouthguards among university students. Braz J Oral Sci, 9 (3), 380–383.
- Borsen, A., Holm, A.K. (1997). Traumatic dental injuries in a cohort of 16-year-olds in northern Sweden. Dent Traumatol, 13 (13), 276–280.
- Bücher, K., Neumann, C, Hickel, R, Künish, J. (2013). Traumatic dental injuries at a German University Clinic 2004–2008. Dent Traumatol, 29 (2), 127–133.
- Damé-Teixeire, N., Severo Alves, L., Susin, C., Maltz, M. (2013).Traumatic dental injury among 12-year old South Brazilian schoolchildren: prevalence, severity, and risk indicators. Dent Traumatol, 29 (1), 52–68.
- Davis, G.T., Scott, S.C. (1984). Dental trauma in Australia. Aust Dent J, 29 (4), 217–221.
- Fakhruddin, K.S., Lawrence, H.P., Kenny, D.J., Locker, D. (2007). Use of mouthguards among 12-to 14-year-old Ontario schoolchildren. J Can Dent Assoc, 73 (6), 505–505e.
- Federation Dentaire International (FDI). (1990). Commission on dental products, Working Party No. 7, 1990.
- Gassner, R., Bosch, R., Tuli, T., Emshoff, R. (1999). Prevalence of dental trauma in 6,000 patients with facial injuries. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 87 (1), 27–33.
- Gassner, R., Tuli, T., Hächl, O., Moreika, R., Ulmer, H. (2004). Craniomaxillofacial trauma in children: a review of 3,385 cases with 6,060 injuries in 10 years. J Oral Maxillofac Surg, 62 (4), 399–407.
- Glendor, V. (2008). Epidemiology of traumatic dental injuries – a 12 year review of literature. Dent Traumatol, 24 (6), 603–611.
- Hecova, H., Tzigkounakis, V., Merglova, V., Netolicky, J. (2010). A retrospective study of 889 injured permanet teeth. Dent Traumatol, 26 (6), 466–475.
- Heintz, W. (1968). Mouth protectors: a progress report. J Am Dent Assoc, 77 (3), 632–636.
- Lang, B., Pohl, Y., Filippi, A. (2002). Knowledge and prevention of dental trauma in team handball in Swizerland and Germany. Dent Traumatol, 18 (6), 329–334.
- Lexomboon, D., Carlson, C.H., Andresson, R., von Bultzingslowen, I., Mensah, T. (2016). Incidence and causes of dental trauma in children living in the county of Värmland, Sweden. Dental Traumatol, 32 (1), 56–64.
- Marcenes, W., Zabot, N.E., Traebert, J. (2001). Socio-economic correlates of traumatic injuries to the permanent incisors in schoolchildren aged 12 years in Blumenau, Brazil. Dent Traumatol, 17 (5), 222–226.
- Ozbay, G., Bakkal, M., Abbasoglu, Z., Demirel, A., Kargul, B., Welbury, R. (2013). Incidence and prevention of traumatic injuries in paediatric handball players in Istanbul, Turkey. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent, 14 (1), 41–45.
- Perunski, S., Lang, B., Pohl, Y., Filippi, A. (2005). Level of information concerning dental injuries and their prevention in Swiss basketball – a survey among players and coaches. Dent Traumatol, 21 (4), 195–200.
- Porritt, J.M., Dawn Rodd, H., Baker, S.R. (2011). Quality of life impacts following childhood dento-alveolar trauma. Dent Traumatol, 27 (1), 2–9.
- Rodd, H.D., Chesham, D.J. (1997). Sports-related oral injury and mouthguard use among Sheffield school children. Community Dent Health, 14 (1), 25–30.
- Rocha, M.J.C., Cardoso, M. (2001). Traumatized permanent teeth in Brazilian children assisted at the Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil. Dent Traumatol, 17 (6), 245–249.
- Sane, J., Ylipaavalniemi, P. (1988). Dental trauma in contact team sports. Endo Dent Traumatol, 4 (4), 164–169.
- Schulze, A. (2008). The use of mouth protectors in sports. CSMI (Clinical Sports Medicine International), 1 (8), 20–23.
- Skaare, A.B., Jacobsen, I. (2003). Dental injuries in Norwegian aged 7–18 years. Dent Traumatol, 19 (1), 67–71.
- Taiwo, O.O., Jalo, H.P. (2011). Dental injuries in 12-year old Nigerian students. Dent Traumatol, 27 (3), 230–234.
- Traebert, J., Peres, M.A., Blank, V., Boell, R.D., Pietruza, J.A. (2003). Prevalence of traumatic dental injury and associated factors among 12-year-old school children in Florianópolis, Brazil. Dent Traumatol, 19 (1), 15–18.
- Williams, J.M., Wright, P., Currie, C., Beattie,T.F. (1998). Sports related injuries in Scottish adolescents aged 11–15. Br J Sports Med, 32 (4), 291–296.
Publication order reference