Youth Suicidal Behaviour: An Evaluation of Risk Factors in Edo State, Nigeria
Languages of publication
Suicide is one of the most serious social and public health problems in the world as it is currently the third leading cause of death for youths between the ages of 15 and 30 years. Youth suicidal behaviour has continuous to be a significant national problem in need of urgent attention by Nigeria government. Common risk factors of suicide behaviour among Nigerian youths were examined in this study. A descriptive method was adopted and data was collected via a survey of 500 respondents in five tertiary educational institutions in Edo State. Data analysis was performed using percentages, means, t-test, and correlation and regression analysis. Findings indicated that depression and mental illness, Anxiety and stress, sexual violence, substance use, unemployment and poverty, and interpersonal conflict were the major risk factors predicting suicide behaviours among youths in Edo State. Thus, the study recommends among others that greater emphasis should be placed on encouraging healthy peer relationships among youths. This is because social cohesiveness and tolerance have been shown to improve the mental well-being of young people.
-  C.E. Kwakpovwe, Internet suicides: Hold on to God. Our Daily Manna, 2018.
-  World Health Organization, mental health gap action programme: Scaling up care for mental, neurological and substance use disorders. Geneva: WHO, 2008.
-  O.O. Alabi, A.L. Alabi, O.O. Ayinde, & J.O. Abdulmalik, Suicide and suicide behaviours in Nigeria: A review. Medical Students Association Journal of University of Ibadan, 20 (2015) 1-5.
-  T. Ogunseye, Why more Nigerians are committing suicide. Retrieved from htt://www.nairaland.com720792/why-more-n, 2013.
-  L. Schlebusch, Suicidal behaviour in South Africa. Scotssville, South Africa: University of Kwazulu-Natal press, 2005.
-  R.A. Animasahun, & V.O. Animasahun, psycho0social predictors of suicide mission among Nigerian youths. African Journal for the Psychological Study of Social Issues, 19 (1) (2016) 79-102
-  J.R. Randall, D. Doku, M.L. Wilson, & K. Peltzer, Suicidal behaviour and related risk factors among school-aged youth in the republic of Benin. PLOS ONE, 9(2) (2014) 1-9
-  E. Durkheim, Suicide. New York: Free Press, 1951.
-  W. Mangino, Serious delinquency among Durkheim’s types of suicide. Dissertation Abstracts International, 66 (2005) 8-23.
-  J. Alloway, Adolescent constructions of the meaning of suicide. Dissertation Abstract International, 66(02) (2005) 38-59
-  E. Mittendorfer-Rytz, F. Rasmussen, & D. Wasserman, Familial clustering of suicidal behaviour and psycholopathology in young suicide attempters. Social Psychiatry &Psychiatric Epidemiology, 43 (1) 2008) 28-36.
-  S. Parkar, V. Dawani, & M. Weiss, Gender, suicide, and the socio-cultural context of deliberate self-harm in an urban general hospital in Mumbai, India. Culture, Medicine & Psychiatry, 32 (4) 2008) 492-515.
-  J.J. Mazza, Youth suicide behaviour: A crisis in need of attention. IN F.A. Villarruel & T. Luster (eds.) Adolescent mental health. West-port, CT: Greenwood Publishers, 2006.
-  D.N. Miller T.L Eckert, Youth suicidal behaviour: An Introduction and overview. School Psychology Review, 38 (2) (2009) 153-167.
-  J.J Mazza, & W. M. Reynolds, School0wide approaches to prevention of and treatment fro depression and suicidal behaviours. In B. Doll, & J.A. Cummings (eds.) Transforming school mental health services. Thousand Oaks, C.A: Corwin Publishers.
-  J.A. Bridge, T.R. Goldstein, & D. A. Brent, Adolescent suicide and suicidal behaviour. Journal for Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 47 (3) (2006) 372-409
-  N.R. Sabari, & M. Shashikiran, A cross- sectional study of suicidal attempts admitted in a rural tertiary-care hospital, Mandya, Karnataka. International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health, 5 (08) (2016) 1574-1578.
-  A.C. Ugwuoke, Precipitants of suicide among secondary school students in Nigeria. Bassery Andah Journal, 9 (2016) 147-156.
-  S.A. U. Offiah, & C.C. Obiorah, Patern of suicide in Nigeria: The Nigeria Delta experience. Journal of Medical Investigations and Practice 9(1) (2014) 8-11.
-  World Health Organization, Public health action for the prevention of suicide: A framework. Geneva: WHO, 2012.
-  I. Chatterjee, & J. Basu, Perceived causes of suicide, reasons for living and suicidal ideation among students. Journal of the Indian Academy of Applied Psychology, 36(2) (2010) 311-316.
-  S.O. Nwosu, & W.O. Odesanmi, Pattern of suicides in Ile-Ife, Nigeria. West African Journal of Medicine, 20(3) (2001) 259-262.
-  G.T. Okulate, Suicide attempts in a Nigerian Limitary setting. East Africa Medicinal Journal, 78 (9) (2001) 493-496.
-  O. Omigbodun, N. Dogra, O. Esan, & B Adedokun, Prevalence and correlates of suicidal behaviour among adolescents in southwest Nigeria. International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 54 (2008) 34-46
-  O. Gureje, & A. Alem, Hidden science: A glimpse at some work in Africa. World Psychiatry, 3 (3) (2004) 178-181
-  M.M. Khan, suicide prevention and developing countries. Journal of Research in Social Medicine, 98 (1) (2005) 459-463
-  National Institute of Mental Health, Suicide facts and statistics. Retrieved from htt://www.nimh.nih.gov/suicideprevention/suifact.cfm 2004.
-  C.C. Nnafor, W.O. Akhnmu, & A.P. Igbe, Review of suicidal deaths seen in Nigerian tertiary institutions. Pioneer Medical Journal, 3 (5) (2013) 1-8.
-  K.A. Van-Orden, T.K. Witte, K.C. Cukrowicz, S.R. Braithwaite, E.A. Selby, & T.E. Joiner, The International theory of suicide. Psychologic Review, 117 (2) (2010) 575-600
-  E.C. Harris, & B. Barraclough, Suicide as an outcome for mental disorder. British Journal of Psychiatry, 173 (1998) 11-53.
-  Institute of Medicine, Reducing suicide: A national imperative. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
-  A.L. Beautrais, S.C.D. Collings, & P. Ehrhardt, Suicide prevention: A review of evidence of risk and protective factors and points of effective intervention. Wellington: Ministry of Health.
-  R.D. Ebong, Non-communicable diseases. Nigerian Journal of Health Promotion, 9 (2016) 1-5
-  C.C. Igbokwe, Incidence of drug abuse among senior secondary schools’ students in Nsukka Local Government Area of Enugu State: Implications for adolescent reproductive health. Nigerian Journal of Health Education, 15 (1) (2011) 169-178
-  R. Meclenbeck, A. Spirito, N. Barnett, & J. Overholser, Behavioural factors: Substance use. In A. Spirito, & J. Overholser (eds.). Evaluating and treating adolescent suicide attempts: From research to practice. New York: Free press.
-  A.H. Conason, M.A. Oquendo, & L. Sher, Psychotherapy in the treatment of alcohol and substance abusing adolescents with suicidal behaviour. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health, 18 (2005) 9-13
-  S. Bae, R. Ye, S. Chen, P. Rivers, & K. Singh, Risky behaviours and factors associated with suicide attempts in adolescents. Arch Suicide Res. 9 (2005) 193-202
-  M.S. Gould, T. Greenberg, D. M. Velting, & D. Shaffer, Youth suicide risk and preventive interventions: A review of the past 10 years. American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 42 (2003) 386-405
-  N. Way, & M.G. Robinson, A. Longitudinal study of the effects of family, friends, and school experiences on the psychological adjustment of ethnic minority, low-SES adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Research, 18(4) (2003) 324-346
-  A.L. Beautrais, Suicides and serious suicide attempts in young people: A multiple group case control study. American Journal of Psychiatry, 160 (6) (2003) 1093-1099
-  A. Ittel, T. Kretchmer, & A. Pike, Siblings in adolescent. Abington, UK: Psychology Press.
-  E. Josse, they came with two guns: The consequences of sexual violence for the mental health of women in armed conflicts. International Review of the Red Cross, 92 (877) (2010) 177-198
-  O.S. Agbaje, Perpetration, Perceived patterns of strategies against violence behaviours among university undergraduates in South-East Nigeria. Unpublished PhD. Thesis, UNN, 2014.
-  R.C. Kessler, Post traumatic stress disorder: The burden to the individual and to society. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 61 (5) (2000) 4-12
-  D. Owens, J Horrocks, & A. House, Fatal and non-fatal repetition of self-harm: Systematic review. British Journal of Psychiatry, 181 (2002) 193-199.
-  S. Morio, & Y. Zoctizoum, Two studies on unemployment among educated young people. France: UNESCO, 1980.
-  F.I. Oluwatoyin, & O.A. Bolajoko, Labor market analysis, Lagos: Chartered Institute of Personnel Management of Nigeria, 2018.
-  T.A. Blakely, S.C. D. Collings & J. Atkinson, Unemployment and suicide: Evidence for a causal association. Journal of Epidemiol Community Health, 57 (2003) 594-600
-  UNDP, Human development report, 2003. New York: Oxford Press.
-  E.J. Nwagwu, Unemployment and poverty in Nigeria: A link to national insecurity. Global Journal of Politics and Laws Research, 2 (1) 2014) 19-35
-  National Population Commission, Nigerian demographic and health survey. Abuja: The author publishers, 1999.
-  A. Ikwuba, Curtailing mental mortality among rural Nigerian women through poverty alleviation. Nigerian Journal of Health Education, 15(1) (2011) 250-259
-  Federal Office of statistics, Annual abstract of statistics 1999 edition, Abuja: The author publishers, 1999.
-  A.B Umar, M. Aliyu, & M.A. Suleiman, Effects of poverty on health of women and children in Jama’s ward, Sabongari L.G.A., Kaduna state. Nigerian Journal of Health Education, 15 (1) (2011) 209-317
-  I.V. Ugwueke, Effects of sexual violence on the nation’s health and development. International Journal of Human Kinetics, Health and Education, 11(10) (2015) 62-71
-  D.M. Fergusson, A.L. Beautrais, & L.J. Horwood, Vulnerability and resiliency to suicidal behaviours in young people. Psychological Medicines, 33(2003) 61-73
-  M. Ruther, & D.J. Smith, Psychosocial disorders in young people: Time trends and their causes. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons Ltd.
-  D.M. Fergusson, L.J. Woodward, & L.J. Horwood, Risk factors and life processes associated with the onset of suicidal behaviour during adolescence and early adulthood. Psychological Medicine, 30 (2000) 23-39
-  D.M. Fergusson, & M.T. Lynskey, childhood circumstances, adolescent adjustment, and suicide attempts in a New Zealand birth cohort. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 34 (1995) 612-622
-  E.D. Klonsky, A.M. May, & B.Y. Saffer Suicide, suicide attempts, and suicidal ideation. Annu. Rev. Clin. Psychol. 12 (2016) 307-330
-  P.R. Duberstein, Openness to experience and completed suicide across the second half of life. International Psychogeriatrics, 7 (2) (1995) 183-198
-  A.T. Beck, R.A. Steer, & J.S. Beck, Hopelessness, depression, suicidal ideation, and clinical diagnosis of depression. Suicide and life of threating behaviour, 23 (2) (1993) 139-145
-  A. J. Beck, R.A. Steer, & M. Kovacs, Hopelessness and eventual suicide: A 10- year prospective study of patients hospitalized with suicidal ideation. American Journal of Psychiatry, 142 (5) (1985) 559-563.
-  G.K. Brown, A.T. Beck, R.A. Steer, & J.R. Grisham, Risk factors for suicide in psychiatric outpatients: A 20-year prospective study. J. Consult Clin. Psychol. 68 (3) (2000) 371-377.
-  A.L. Chapman & K.L. Dixon-Gordon, Emotional antecedent and consequences of deliberate self-harm and suicide attempts. Suicide Life Threat. Behav. 37 (2007) 543-552
-  A.M. May, & E.D. Klonsky, Assessing motivations for suicide attempts: Development and psychometric properties of the inventory of motivation for suicide attempts. Suicide Life Threat. Behav. 43 (5) (2013) 532-546.
-  .S. Shneidman, Definition of suicide. New York: John Wiley and Sons Ltd.
-  A.L. Berman, School-based suicide prevention: Research advances and practice implications. School Psychology Review 38, (2009) 233-238
-  W.M. Reynolds, Suicidal ideation questionnaire: Professional manual Florida: Psychological Assessment Resource, 1988.
-  National Health Care for the Homeless Council, Suicide and Homelessness: Date trends in suicide and mental health among homeless populations. Retrieved from www.nhch.org, 2018
Publication order reference