Pentaclethra macrophylla Benth (African oil bean tree) and Parkia biglobosa Jacq (African locust bean tree): The Declining Giants of The Rainforest of Nigeria (The Northern Cross River Situation)
Languages of publication
The abundance, stem diameter and height of Pentaclethra macrophylla Benth and Parkia biglobosa Jacq was assessed in each of the five Local Government Areas (Ogoja, Yala, Bekwarra, Obudu and Obanliku) of Northern Cross River State, Nigeria using the Modified Whittaker Method. Two forest communities were chosen from each Local Government Area, constituting 10 sites. In each site a 30 × 90 m plot was laid out in a spoke design and tree species present on the plots were recorded. A total of 3, 4, 5, 7, 4, 5, 6, 5, 12 and 10 stands for P. macrophylla and 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 4,5,8 and 8 stands for P. biglobosa were recorded in Gbogbu, Omulako, Aragban, Abeya, Aguomoh, Ukpah, Alege, Beteh, Bechevie and Sankwala forests respectively based on the sampled plots. Results of population percentage frequency, density and abundance of the two tree species varied across the study sites. The highest percentage frequency recorded for the tree species was 24% while the lowest was 12%. The highest population densities of 1.6666/ha, 1.3333/ha and 1/ha were recorded for the tree species while the lowest was 0.5/ha. Results of abundance show that the species were mostly rare with abundance ratio of (1.00≤AR≤2.99). Results of diameter class sizes of the tree species encountered in this study show that there were trees with mature trunk size than wildlings. Majority of the trees of P. biglobosa and P. macrophylla were in the diameter class of 20 – 29 cm and 30 – 39 cm respectively while results of the height class of trees shows that the minimum and maximum height was 10 -19 ft and 20 -29 ft respectively. This study shows that the trees of P. macrophylla and P. biglobosa were mostly rare and are declining; this could be as a result of over exploitation.
-  Oboh, G., Pentaclethra macrophylla: Record from PROTA 4U. Van der Vossen, H.A.M. & Mkamilo, G. S. (Editors). PROTA (Plant Resources of Tropical Africa / Ressources végétales de l’Afriquetropicale), Wageningen, Netherlands (2007).
-  Emebiri, L. C., Nwufo, M. I., Obiefuna, J. C., International Tree Crops Journal 8(2-3) (2012) 69-82.
-  Bonkougou, E. G., Djimde, M., Ayuk, E. T., Zougrana, I., Tchoundjeu, Z., Agroforestry Today 11(1-2) (1999) 13-15.
-  Sabiiti, E. N., Cobbina, J., The International Tree Crops Journal 7 (1992) 113-139.
-  Mbong, E. S. E., Analyse socio-économiqueet prioritisation des espècesexotiques et locales à haute valeur socio-économique et culturelle pour les baka du grand Djoum. Rapport d’études, Partenariat ICRAF-Projet AGEFO 2009.
-  NIMET., Nigerian Meteorological Agency Agrometeorological Bulletin 36(3) (2015) 21-31.
-  Herrick, J. E., Van Zee, J. W., Havstad, K. M., Burkett, L. M., Whitford, W. G., Monitoring manual for grassland, shrubland and savanna ecosystems Vol. 2. Tucson, University of Arizona Press (2005).
-  Sharma, P. D., Ecology and Environment 10th ed., New Delhi, Capital Offset Press (2009).
-  Avery, T. E., Burkhart, H. E., Height measurement principles. Forest measurements 5thed., McGraw-Hill (2002).
-  Williams, M. S., Betchfold, M. A., LaBau, V. J., Southern Journal of Applied Forestry 18 (1994) 76-82.
-  Odebiyi, J. A, Bada, S. O, Awodoyin, R. O, Oni, P. I., Omoloye, A. A., West Africa Journal of Applied Ecology 5 (2004) 31-39.
-  Nelson, I. U., Udoakpan, U. I., Jacob, D. E., International Journal of Molecular Ecology and Conservation 5(5) (2015) 1-6.
-  Christie, D. A., Armesto, J. J., Journal of Ecology 91 (2003) 776-784.
-  Aigbe, H. I., Omokhua, G. E., Journal of agricultural Studies 3(1) (2015) 10-24.
-  Oduwaiye, E. A., Oyeleye, B., Oguntala, A. B., Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Forestry Association of Nigeria 28 (2002) 264-272.
-  Oduwaiye, E. A., Ajibode, M. O., Journal of Raw Materials Research 2(1) (2005) 4-13.
-  Adekunle, V. A. J., Akindele, S. O., Fuwape, J. A., Food, Agriculture and Environment 2(2) (2004) 395-399.
-  Adekunle, V. A. J., Olagoke, A. O., Biodiversity and Conservation 17 (2008) 2735-2755.
-  Hadi, S., Ziegler, T., Waltert, M., Hodges, J. K., Tropical Ecology 50(2) (2009) 315-327.
-  Aigbe, H. I., Akindele, S. O., Onyekwelu, J. C., International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research 3(10) (2014) 178-185.
Publication order reference