A New Approach to Social Differentiation: Social Estates
Languages of publication
The paper offers an ownership-based approach to class, economic ownership being defined in terms of rent. It is also stressed that there is a need for a distinction between a socio-economic and juristic approach to property, the latter being in fact far more common in the social sciences. The theoretical framework laid out in the paper draws on some Marxian ideas, though it goes beyond what the author of "Capital" had explicitly to say on social class. The reader's attention could be drawn to the conceptual innovation in the form of the notions of lumpenclasses and quasi-classes. The former concept refers to the structure of social differentiation pertinent to the unofficial economy, while the latter is concerned with , for the most part, non-working women.
-  Abbott, Andrew. 1988. The System of Professions. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
-  Angrisano, Carlos, Diana Farrell, Bob Kocher, Martha Laboissiere, and Sara Parker. 2007. Accounting for the Cost of Health Care in the United States. San Francisco, CA: McKinsey Global Institute.
-  Bellow, Adam. 2003. IN PRAISE OF NEPOTISM. Atlantic Monthly Jul/Aug, Vol. 292, Issue 1.
-  Borchert, Jens and Jürgen Zeiss. 2003. Oxford University Press.
-  Bracey Gerald W. 2004. Setting the Record Straight: Responses to Misconceptions About Public Education in the U.S. (Heinemann).
-  Breen, R. (Jan. 2004), A Weberian Approach to Class Analysis, British Journal of sociology<www.ssc.wisc.edu/.../Chapter%202%20-%20Breen%20Jan%202004>.
-  Brown, Richard. 1979. Rockefeller Medicine Men: Medicine and Capitalism in America. Berkeley: University of California Press.
-  Chopra, Vineet, Saint, Sanjay. 2015. July 2. Should there be a dress code for doctors? The Conversation.com.
-  Collins, Randall. 1979. The Credential Society. New York: Academic Press.
-  Collins, R. 1980. Weber's Last Theory of Capitalism: A Systematization. American Sociological Review 45: 925-942.
-  Condon, Matthew . 2015. Queensland Police Commissioner Terry Lewis was a target of the Fitzgerald Inquiry. The Conversation.com. September 24.
-  Condon, Matthew, 2014. Jacks and Jokers: Bjelke-Petersen and Queensland’s ‘police state’. The Conversation.com. March 26.
-  Elliott, Joe. 1998. The Fate of Reason. <http://www.unc.edu/~elliott>
-  England, Robert Stowe. 2007. The Physician's Role in Rising Health Care Costs. Report for Americans for Generational Equity, Washington, DC. Retrieved August 15, 2010.
-  Fiske, S. T. (1993). Social cognition and social perception. Annual Review of Psychology, 44, 155-194.
-  Friedman, Milton and Simon Kuznets. 1945. Income from Independent Professional Practice. New York: National Bureau of Economic Research.
-  Granovetter, Mark. 1973. The Strength of Weak Ties, American Journal of Sociology. 78, 1360-1380.
-  Holden, R., Dixon. R. 2015. 27 July. So many law grads. The Conversation.com.
-  Ishtiaq Jamil and Rameshwor Dangal, 2009. The state of bureaucratic representativeness and administrative culture in Nepal. Contemporary South Asia 17(2), 193-211.
-  Kim, Harris H. 2015. NETWORKS, INFORMATION TRANSFER, AND STATUS CONFERRAL: The Role of Social Capital in Income Stratification among Lawyers. Sociological Quarterly 42(2).
-  Konigsberg, Eric. 2012. No Hassle. New Republic 3/1/93, Vol. 208, Issue 9
-  Kozyr-Kowalski, S. J. Ładosz, (1976), Dialektyka a społeczeństwo, Warsaw.
-  Kusnets, N. 2015. Virginia's new ethics legislation would close some loopholes, skip others | Center for Public Integrity www.publicintegrity.org. 24 April.
-  Lange, Oskar 1959. Political Economy.
-  Lederer, P. When did you wash that? Doctor in white coat. 2015. 17 September. The Conversation.com.
-  Light A., 1999. High school employment. High school curriculum, and post-school wages, Economics of Education Review, 18 (1999) 291-309.
-  Larson, Magali Sarfatti. 1977. The Rise of Professionalism. Berkeley: University of California Press.
-  Markowitz, Gerald E. and David K. Rosner. 1973. Doctors in Crisis: A Study of the Use of Medical Education Reform to Establish Modern Professional Elitism in Medicine. American Quarterly 25: 83-107.
-  Milios, John (April 2000). Social Class and Economic Sociology Social Classes in Classical and Marxist Political Economy, American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Vol. 59, No. 2
-  Poulantzas, Nicos. 1975. Classes in Contemporary Capitalism. London: New Left Books.
-  Pakulski, Jan and Malcolm Waters. 1996. The Death of Class. London: Sage Publications.
-  Royster, Deidre. 2003. Race and the Invisible Hand. Berkeley: University of California Press.
-  Scott, J. (2008). Modes of power and the re-conceptualization of elites, Sociological Review 56(s1) 25-43.
-  Scott, J. 1996 Stratification and Power, Cambridge: Polity.
-  Smith, Ken. 2007. Operationalizing Max Weber's probability concept of class situation: the concept of social class. British Journal of Sociology, 58(1), 87-104.
-  Stub, Holger R. 1972. Status Communities in Modern Society: Alternative to Class Analysis. Hinsdale, IL: The Dryden Press.
-  Tittenbrun, J. [ed.] 2010. Struktura klasowo-stanowa społeczności Poznania [The class-estate structure of the Poznan community], Poznan: Nakom.
-  Tittenbrun, J. (2013 a). Anti-Capital (Human, Social and Cultural) The Mesmerising Misnomers, Farnham: Ashgate.
-  Tittenbrun Jacek (2013 b). Max Weber’s Economic Sociology. Journal of Modern Science no 3; pp.76-92
-  Tittenbrun Jacek (2013 c). Economy and society in the theory of max weber , Czech Journal of Social Sciences; Business and Economics, Volume 2, Issue 3 (autumn), pp. 80-97.
-  Tittenbrun Jacek (2014 a). Cultural Capital: A Keyword or a Catchword? Council for Innovative Research Peer Review Research Publishing System, Journal of Advances in Humanities Vol. 2, No. 1.
-  Tittenbrun Jacek (2014 b). The EGP Class Scheme: In Search of a Theory, International Letters of Social and Humanistic Sciences, 44, 29-44,
-  Tittenbrun Jacek (2016 a). The Middle Class Or You Only Live Twice. Munich: Grin Academic Publishing.
-  Tittenbrun Jacek (2016 b). From Marx to Warner. Class and Stratification Under Scrutiny. Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
-  Weber, M. 1972. Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft [Economy and Society], Tübingen: Mohr [first published in 1921].
-  Wilensky, Harold L., 1966. Class, Class Consciousness, and American Workers, pp. 12-44, in Labor in a Changing America, edited by William Haber, New York, Basic
-  Wrightson, Keith. 2015. The poor man at his gate. . . — it tenant paying rent, History Today 252. 1.
Publication order reference