The application of environmental issues in designing urban structures – a framework for comprehensive local planning policies
Languages of publication
The implementation of environmental issues in planning and designing urban structures is becoming a novel approach and a common practice consistent with the paradigm of sustainable development. Maintaining environmental quality in urban areas, managing natural resources and understanding the complexity of urban systems is becoming increasingly challenging. Therefore, it is important to develop strategies for the integration of environmental quality research into urban planning policies and for the development of alternative spatial solutions for the existing urban structure which are aimed at improving environmental quality in urban areas. The aim of the article is to review contemporary theoretical and practical approaches towards the implementation of environmental issues within the process of urban planning in order to present a framework for local planning policies. Described is the research into spatial and design solutions which can efficiently reduce noise levels, mitigate atmospheric pollution and odour nuisance or prevent the negative effects of local microclimate effect. The possibility of application of design guidelines aimed at achieving environmental objectives in local planning documents is also assessed.
-  L. Shen, J. J. Ochoa, M. N. Shah, and X. Zhang, The application of urban sustainability indicators e A comparison between various practices, Habitat International, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 17–29, 2011.
-  P. R. Berke and M. M. Conroy, Are we planning for sustainable development? An evaluation of 30 comprehensive plans, Journal of the American Planning Association, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 21–33, 2000.
-  P. Vitousek, H. Mooney, J. Lubchenco, and J. Melillo, Human domination of Earth’s ecosystems, Science, vol. 222, pp. 494–499, 1997.
-  P. Næss, Urban Planning and Sustainable Development, European Planning Studies, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 503–524, 2009.
-  H. Runhaar, P. P. J. Driessen, and L. Soer, Sustainable urban development and the challenge of policy integration: An assessment of planning tools for integrating spatial and environmental planning in the Netherlands, Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 417–431, 2009.
-  D. Scherer, U. Fehrenbach, H. Beha, and E. Parlow, Improved concepts and methods in analysis and evaluation of the urban climate for optimizing urban planning processes, vol. 33, 1999.
-  X. Xie, Z. Huang, and J. S. Wang, Impact of building configuration on air quality in street canyon, Atmospheric Environment, vol. 39, pp. 4519–4530, 2005.
-  J. O. P. Cheung and C. H. Liu, CFD simulations of natural ventilation behaviour in high-rise buildings in regular and staggered arrangements at various spacings, Energy and Buildings, vol. 43, pp. 1149–1158, 2011.
-  J. Gallagher, R. Baldauf, C. H. Fuller, P. Kumar, L. W. Gill, and A. McNabola, Passive methods for improving air quality in the built environment: A review of porous and solid barriers, Atmospheric Environment, vol. 120, pp. 61–70, 2015.
-  Z. Zhai, Application of computational fluid dynamics in building design: Aspects and trends, Indoor and Built Environment, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 305–313, 2006.
-  N. H. Wong, S. K. Jusuf, and C. L. Tan, Integrated urban microclimate assessment method as a sustainable urban development and urban design tool, Landscape and Urban Planning, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 386–389, 2011.
-  S. S. Jensen, M. Ketzel, T. Becker, J. Christensen, J. Brandt, M. Plejdrup, M. Winther, O. K. Nielsen, O. Hertel, and T. Ellermann, High resolution multi-scale air quality modelling for all streets in Denmark, Transportation Research Part D, vol. 52, pp. 322–339, 2017.
-  K. McCormick, S. Anderberg, L. Coenen, and L. Neij, Advancing sustainable urban transformation, Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 50, pp. 1–11, 2013.
-  J. Badach, P. Kolasińska, M. Paciorek, W. Wojnowski, T. Dymerski, J. Gębicki, M. Dymnicka, and J. Namieśnik, A case study of odour nuisance evaluation in the context of integrated urban planning’, Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 213, pp. 417–424, 2018.
-  A. C. Pope III, R. T. Burnett, M. J. Thun, E. E. Calle, D. Krewski, K. Ito, and G. D. Thurston, Lung Cancer, Cardiopulmonary Mortality, and Long-term Exposure to Fine Particulate Air Pollution, Jama, vol. 287, no. 9, pp. 1132–1141, 2002.
-  B. Steinheider, R. Both, and G. Winneke, Field studies on environmental odors inducing annoyance as well as gastric and general health-related symptoms, Journal of Psychophysiology, vol. 12, pp. 64–79, 1998.
-  M. Aatamila, P. K. Verkasalo, M. J. Korhonen, M. K. Viluksela, K. Pasanen, P. Tiittanen, and A. Nevalainen, Odor annoyance near waste treatment centers: A population-based study in Finland, Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, vol. 60(4), no. 4, pp. 412–418, 2010.
-  L. Goines and L. Hagler, ‘Noise Pollution : A Modern Plague, Southern Medical Journal, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 287–294, 2007.
-  A. J. Arnfield, Two decades of urban climate research: A review of turbulence, exchanges of energy and water, and the urban heat island, International Journal of Climatology, vol. 23, no. February, pp. 1–26, 2003.
-  R. Berkowicz, F. Palmgren, O. Hertel, and E. Vignati, Using measurements of air pollution in streets for evaluation of urban air quality -- meterological analysis and model calculations, Science of The Total Environment, vol. 189/190, pp. 259–265, 1996.
-  P. Kumar, L. Morawska, C. Martani, G. Biskos, M. Neophytou, S. Di Sabatino, M. Bell, L. Norford, and R. Britter, The rise of low-cost sensing for managing air pollution in cities, Environment International, vol. 75, pp. 199–205, 2015.
-  C. Yuan, E. Ng, and L. K. Norford, Improving air quality in high-density cities by understanding the relationship between air pollutant dispersion and urban morphologies, Building and Environment, vol. 71, pp. 245–258, 2014.
-  P. E. J. Vos, B. Maiheu, J. Vankerkom, and S. Janssen, Improving local air quality in cities: To tree or not to tree?, Environmental Pollution, vol. 183, pp. 113–122, 2013.
-  I. Nikolova, S. Janssen, P. Vos, K. Vrancken, V. Mishra, and P. Berghmans, Dispersion modelling of traffic induced ultrafine particles in a street canyon in Antwerp, Belgium and comparison with observations, Science of the Total Environment, vol. 412, pp. 336–343, 2011.
-  M. Chavez, B. Hajra, T. Stathopoulos, and A. Bahloul, Near-field pollutant dispersion in the built environment by CFD and wind tunnel simulations, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, vol. 99, no. 4, pp. 330–339, 2011.
-  X. Xiaomin, H. Zhen, and W. Jiasong, The impact of urban street layout on local atmospheric environment, Building and Environment, vol. 41, pp. 1352–1363, 2006.
-  L. Chen, J. Hang, M. Sandberg, L. Claesson, S. Di Sabatino, and H. Wigo, The impacts of building height variations and building packing densities on flow adjustment and city breathability in idealized urban models, Building and Environment, vol. 118, pp. 344–361, 2017.
-  C. Borrego, H. Martins, O. Tchepel, L. Salmim, A. Monteiro, and A. I. Miranda, How urban structure can affect city sustainability from an air quality perspective, Environmental Modelling & Software, vol. 21, pp. 461–467, 2006.
-  Y. Tominaga and T. Stathopoulos, CFD simulation of near-field pollutant dispersion in the urban environment: A review of current modeling techniques, Atmospheric Environment, vol. 79, pp. 716–730, 2013.
-  J. A. Nicell, Assessment and regulation of odour impacts, Atmospheric Environment, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 196–206, Jan. 2009.
-  L. Capelli, S. Sironi, R. Del Rosso, P. Céntola, A. Rossi, and C. Austeri, Olfactometric approach for the evaluation of citizens’ exposure to industrial emissions in the city of Terni, Italy, Science of the Total Environment, vol. 409, no. 3, pp. 595–603, 2011.
-  L. Capelli, S. Sironi, R. Del Rosso, P. Céntola, and M. Il Grande, A comparative and critical evaluation of odour assessment methods on a landfill site, Atmospheric Environment, vol. 42, no. 30, pp. 7050–7058, 2008.
-  L. Capelli, S. Sironi, R. Del Rosso, and J. M. Guillot, Measuring odours in the environment vs. dispersion modelling: A review, Atmospheric Environment, vol. 79, no. November, pp. 731–743, 2013.
-  S. Sironi, L. Capelli, P. Céntola, R. Del Rosso, and S. Pierucci, Odour impact assessment by means of dynamic olfactometry, dispersion modelling and social participation, Atmospheric Environment, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 354–360, 2010.
-  M. Invernizzi, L. Capelli, and S. Sironi, Proposal of odor nuisance index as urban planning tool, Chemical Senses, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 105–110, 2017.
-  M. Raimbault and D. Dubois, Urban soundscapes: Experiences and knowledge, Cities, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 339–350, 2005.
-  A. B. Ariza-Villaverde, F. J. Jiménez-Hornero, and E. Gutiérrez De Ravé, Influence of urban morphology on total noise pollution: Multifractal description, Science of the Total Environment, vol. 472, pp. 1–8, 2014.
-  P. H. T. Zannin, M. S. Engel, P. E. K. Fiedler, and F. Bunn, Characterization of environmental noise based on noise measurements, noise mapping and interviews: A case study at a university campus in Brazil, Cities, vol. 31, pp. 317–327, 2013.
-  E. L. Krüger, F. O. Minella, and F. Rasia, Impact of urban geometry on outdoor thermal comfort and air quality from field measurements in Curitiba, Brazil, Building and Environment, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 621–634, 2011.
-  J. H. Amorim, V. Rodrigues, R. Tavares, J. Valente, and C. Borrego, CFD modelling of the aerodynamic effect of trees on urban air pollution dispersion, Science of the Total Environment, vol. 461–462, pp. 541–551, 2013.
-  T. Susca, S. R. Gaf, and G. R. D. Osso, Positive effects of vegetation : Urban heat island and green roofs, Environ Pollut. 2011 Aug-Sep; 159(8-9): 2119-26.
-  M. W. Yahia and E. Johansson, Influence of urban planning regulations on the microclimate in a hot dry climate: The example of Damascus, Syria, Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 51–65, 2013.
-  J. He, C. K. Bao, T. F. Shu, X. X. Yun, D. Jiang, and L. Brwon, Framework for integration of urban planning, strategic environmental assessment and ecological planning for urban sustainability within the context of China, Environmental Impact Assessment Review, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 549–560, 2011.
-  W. J. Petak, Environmental Planning and Management : The Need for an Integrative Perspective, Environmental Management, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 287–295, 1980.
-  D. S. Slocombe, Environmental planning, ecosystem science, and ecosystem approaches for integrating environment and development, Environmental Management, vol. 17, no. 3. pp. 289–303, 1993.
-  U. G. Sandstrom, P. Angelstam, and A. Khakee, Urban comprehensive planning - Identifying barriers for the maintenance of functional habitat networks, Landscape and Urban Planning, vol. 75, no. 1–2, pp. 43–57, 2006.
-  J. Badach, Integrating environmental issues with the practice of urban planning, World Scintific News, vol. 75, pp. 106–116, 2017.
-  I. Van Kamp, K. Leidelmeijer, and G. Marsman, Urban environmental quality and human well-being: Towards a conceptual framework and demarcation of concepts; a literature study, Landscape and Urban Planning, vol. 65, no. July 2015, pp. 5–18, 2003.
-  T. Yigitcanlar, F. Dur, and D. Dizdaroglu, Towards prosperous sustainable cities : A multiscalar urban sustainability assessment approach, Habitat International, vol. 45, pp. 36–46, 2015.
-  K. Samuelsson, M. Giusti, G. D. Peterson, A. Legeby, S. A. Brandt, and S. Barthel, Impact of environment on people’s everyday experiences in Stockholm, Landscape and Urban Planning, vol. 171, no. November 2017, pp. 7–17, 2018.
-  C. Chess, Evaluating Environmental Public Participation: Methodological Questions, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, vol. 43, no. 6. pp. 769–784, 2000.
Publication order reference