Cytotoxic, Genotoxic and Apoptotic Activity of Isolated Compound from Pandanus odorattissimus
Languages of publication
The present study reports potential activities like cytotoxic, genotoxic and apoptotic activity of phenolic compound 4-(4-(3,4-dimethoxyphenyl)hexahydrofuro[3,4-c]furan-1-yl)-2-methoxyphenyl acetate isolated from methanolic extract of Pandanus odorattissimus. The compound showed a signiﬁcant cytotoxic effect on Human Leukemia 60 (HL-60) cell line. Exposure of the compound reduced the viability of HL-60 cells after 12, 24 and 48 hours, the compound exerted a significant cytotoxic effect on HL-60 cells. The compound also induced significant DNA damage. The results of comet assay with pattern of the HL-60 cells has shown an intact head and complete absence of DNA fragments in the form of tail suggesting that the doses are not genototoxic. The phenolic compound at concentration of 20 µg/mL, showed an increase in percentage tail of DNA upto 6.21 units when compared to control 5.35. Although all of the compound induced significant DNA damage it induced apoptotic in the middle level and led to significant level. Apoptotic effect of compound on HL-60 cells after 72 h increased. Furthermore, the compound induced slight necrosis in HL-60 cells. Although the compound induced significant DNA damage, it induced apoptotic at the middle level. Apoptotic effect of compound on HL cells after 72 hrs increased level, furthermore the compound induced slight necrosis in HL-60 cells.
-  Monks NR, Bordignon SAL, Ferraz A, Machado KR,Faria DH, Lopes RM, Mondin CA, De Souza ICC, Lima MFS, da Rocha AB, Schwartsmann G. 2002. Anticancer screening of Brazilian plant. Pharmaceut. Biol. 40(8): 603-616.
-  Cai Y, Lou Q, Sun M, Coorke H. 2004. Antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds of 112 traditional Chinese medicinal plants associated with cancer. Life Science, 74: 2157-2184.
-  Zahra Amirghofram, Masoud Bahmani, Abbas Azadmehr, Katayoun Javidnia. 2006. Induction of apoptosis in leukemia cell lines by Linum persicum and Euphorbia cheiradenia. Journal of Res Clin Oncol. 132: 427-432.
-  Grune & Stratton Inc. 1987. Fried, Edrita Publisher: New York.
-  D. Morgan, F. Russetti, R. Gallo. 1976. Selective in vitro growth of T lymphocytes from normal human bone marrows. Science 193, 1007.
-  Keerthikar and Basu. 2000. Indian Medicinal Plant, Sri Satguru Publication. Vol. 10 p. 3565.
-  J. Paul. 1975. Cell and Tissue Culture. Churchill Livingstone (CSL).
-  Mosmann. T. 1983. Rapid colorimeteric assay for cellular growth and survival: applications to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immuno Methods 65(1-2) 55-63.
-  Son Yo, Kim JC, Chung GH, Lee JC. 2003. Ripe fruits of Solamin nigrum L inhibits cell growth and induces apoptosis in MCF-7 cells. Food Chemi. Toxicol 41: 1421-1428.
-  Collins AR, Oscoz AA, Brunborg G, Gaivao I, Giovannelli L, Kruszsewki M, Smith CC, Stetina R. 2008. The comet assay: the topical issue. Mutagenesis 17: 1-9.
-  Singh NP, McCoy MT, Tice TT, Schneider EL. 1988. A simple technique for quantitation of low levels of DNA damage in individual cells. Exp. Cell Res, 175: 184-191.
-  Hartmann A, Agurelli E, Beevers C, Brendler SS, Burlinson B, Clay P, Collins A, Smith A, Speit G, Thybaud V, Tice RR. 2003. Recommendation for conducting the in vivo alkaline comet assay. Mutagenesis 18: 45-51.
-  Grusch M, Pollgar D, Gfatter S, Leuhuber K, Huettenbrenner S, Leisser C, Fuhrmann G, Steinkellner H, Smid K, Peter GJ, Jayaram HN, Klopal W, Szekeres T, Knasmuller S, Krupitza G. 2002. Maintenance of ATP favours apoptosis over necrosis triggered by benzamide riboside. Cell Death Difference 9(2): 169-178.
-  P. B. Tchounwou, C. G. Yedjou, W. C. Dorsey. 2003. Arsenic trioxide induced transcriptional activation and expression of stress gene in human iver carcinoma cells (HepG2). Cellular and molecular biology 49(7): 1071- 1079.
-  S. L. Soignet, S. R Frankel, D. Douer, M. S. Tallman, H. Kantarjian, E. Calleja, R. M.
-  Stone, M. Kalaycio, D. A. Scheinberg, P. Steinherz, E. L. Sievers, S. Coutre, S. Dahlberg, R. Ellison, R. P. Warell. 2001. United States multicenter study of arsenic trioxide in relapsed acute promyelocytic leukemia. J. Clin. Oncol. 19: 3852-3860.
-  P. Fenaux, C. Chomienne, L. Degos. 2001. Treatment of acute promyelocytic leukaemia. Clin Haematol. 14: 153-174.
-  J. Mayorga, C. Richarson-Hardin, K.A. Dicke. 2002. Arsenic trioxide as effective therapy for relapsed acute promyelocytic leukemia. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 6(6): 341-346.
-  Ting ting Jong and Shang Whang Chau. 1998. Antioxidative activites of constituents isolated from Pandanus odoratissimus. Phytochemistry. 49(7): 2145-2148.
-  Ozelm Sultan Aslantutk and Tulay Abkin Cel K. 2013. Antioxidant, cytotoxic, and apoptotic activities of extracts of medicinal plant euphorbia platyphyllos L. Journal Of Medicinal Plants Research 7(19): 1293-1304.
-  Martin SJ, Green DR. 1995. Apoptosis and cancer the failure of controls on cell death and cell survival. Criti Rev Oncol. Hematol. 18: 137-153.
-  Hu W, Kanavagh JJ. 2003. Anticancer therapy targeting the apoptitic pathway, Lancet Oncol. 4: 721-729.
-  Xiao JX, Huang GQ, Zhang SH. 2007. Soya saponins inhibit the proliferation of HeLa cells by inducing apoptosis. Exp. Toxicol. Pathol. 59: 35-42.
-  Finkel E. 1999. Does cancer therapy trigger cell suicide. Science 289: 2256-2258.
Publication order reference