Language management in international business. Implementation of strategies to bridge linguistic and cultural barriers
Languages of publication
Good communication is indispensible when doing business in the 21st Century. It is connected to the fact that most corporations operate worldwide. Multinational companies can encounter many problems when maintaining its global coordination. They often face linguistic and cultural differences. Undermining language management significance has a direct impact on businesses. All multinational companies need to apply solutions to the problem of language barriers and their communication weaknesses. Although there is a wide-range of different strategies that can be adopted by corporations to enhance business performance on the global market, many companies are not fully aware and consider those strategies unimportant.
-  AIM Strategies. Virtual Teams Trends Report. A world that knows no boundaries. 2013-05-28 (last access). http://aim-strategies.com/AIMVTTrendsReport.pdf.
-  Aviary Group. Impacts of Diversity in the Workplace: Maintaining Open Communication. 2013-05-11 (last access). http://www.aviarygroup.ca/special-issue-on-impacts-of-diversity-in-the-workplace-maintaining-open-communication/.
-  Beckerman Wilfred, 1956. “Distance and the pattern of Intra-European Trade”. The Review of Economics and Statistics 38, 1: 31-40.
-  Besterfield Dale H., Carol Besterfield-Michna, Gen H. Besterfield, Mary Besterfield-Sacre, 2003. Total Quality Management (3rd ed.) Upper Saddle River, New Yersey: Pearson Education, Inc., Prentice Hall.
-  Brandt Willy (ed.) 2011. ‘‘Report on Language Management Strategies and Best Practice in European SMEs: The PIMLICO Project.’’ http://ec.europa.eu/languages/languages-mean-business/files/pimlico-full-report_en.pdf.
-  Brookes J. Naomi, James Smith, 2007. “Psychic Distance in Global Operation Management.” POMS 18th Annual Conference, Dallas, Texas, U.S.A http://www.poms.org/conferences/poms2007/cdprogram/topics/full_length_papers_files/007-0277.pdf.
-  Culture and Why It Matters to Your Business. 2013-05-11 (last access). http://www.wintranslation.com/wp-content/uploads/Culture-and-why-it-matters-to-your-business.pdf.
-  Erkkila Linda, 2010. ‘’Internal Communication Issues in a Multinational Company: Logonet Group’’. [Unpublished thesis, Tampereen Ammattikorkeakoulu, University of Applied Sciences] http://publications.theseus.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/16024/Erkkila_Linda.pdf?sequence=1.
-  Feely Alan J., Anne-Wil Harzing, 2002. “Forgotten and neglected language: the orphan of international business research”. (Paper presented at the 62nd Annual meeting of the Academy of Management, Denver, 9-14 August 2002). http://www.harzing.com/download/orphan.pdf.
-  Alan J Feely, Anne-Wil Harzing, 2003. Language management in multinational companies”, Cross-cultural Management: an International Journal 10, 2: 37-52.
-  Feely, Alan J., Derek Winslow, 2005. “Talking sense: a research study of language skills management in major companies”, London: CILT, National Centre for Languages (UK). http://centrallobby.politicshome.com/Resources/epolitix/Forum%20Microsites/Centre%20for%20Information%20on%20Language%20Teaching/talking_sense.pdf.
-  Firth Andrew, 1996. “The discursive accomplishement of normality”. On “lingua franca” English and conversation analyses”. Journal of Prgamatics 26: 237-259.
-  Fletcher Richard, Jenifer Bohn, 1998. “The impact of psychic distance on the internationalization of the Australian firm.” Journal of Global Marketing. 12, 2: 47.
-  Grigore Liliana Nicoleta, 2006. “Managing Language Problems-A Key Source of Competitive Advantage in the Global Business Environment.” Synergy 2(2), 50-59.
-  Gundersen Sigrid Louise, 2009. “Language management in multinational companies.” Bergen: Institute for Research in Economics and Business Administration. http://brage.bibsys.no/nhh/bitstream/URN:NBN:no-bibsys_brage_23893/1/R21_09.pdf.
-  Harzing Anne-Will, Kathrin Köster, Ulrike Magner, 2011. “Babel in Business: The language barrier and its solutions in the HQ-subsidiary relationship”, Journal of World Business 46, 3: 279-287.
-  Harzing Anne-Will, Markus Pudelko, 2013. “Language competencies, policies and practices in multinational corporations: A comprehensive review and comparison of Anglophone, Asian, Continental European and Nordic MNCs”, Journal of World Business 48, 1: 87-97.
-  Harzing Anne-Wil, Kathrin Köster, Alan J Feely, 2002. “Forgotten and Neglected. Language: The orphan of international business research, 62, 9-14.
-  Alan J. Feely, Anne‐Wil Harzing, 2003. “The Language Management in Multinational Companies.” Cross Cultural Management: An International Journal. 10(2), 37-52.
-  Jitsanong Thanucha, 2011. “An effective internal communication of sharing information: case study in sales and marketing department Communicate with other departments, Conrad Bangkok”. Bangkok: Silpakorn University, Central Library. http://www.suic.org/wp-content/uploads/research3/mba_research/37Thanuncha_Jitsanong.pdf.
-  Kazmi Shahida, 2011. “HR has a key role to play in internal communication.” Islamabad, Pakistan: Riphah International University.
-  Lester Thomas, 1994. “Pulling down the language barrier. International Management” Business, July August, 42-44.
-  Locker Kitty O., 1998. Business and Administrative Communication (4th ed.) New York: McGraw Hill.
-  Marschan-Piekkari Rebecca, Denise Welch, Lawrence Welch, 1997. “Language the forgotten factor in multinational management.” European Management Journal 15:5, 591-598.
-  Nordstrom Kjell, Jan Erik Wahlne, 1994. Is the globe shrinking? Psychic distance and the establishment of Swedish subsidiaries during the last 100 years. New York: St. Martin’s Press.
-  O’Grady Shawna, Henry W. Lane, 1996. “The Psychic distance paradox.” Journal of International Business Studies 27: 309-33 .
-  Reeves Nigel, Colin Wright, 1996. Linguistic Auditing: A Guide to Identifying Foreign Language Communication Needs in Corporations. Frankfurt Lodge: WBC Book Manufacturers Ltd.
-  Robins C.J., Hayes A.M., 1993. “An appraisal of cognitive theraphy.” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 61, 205-214.
-  Ventana Ceter for Psychoterapy. Neurobiological Bases for Cognitive Schemas, Part 1. 2013-05-12 (last access). http://www.ventanacenter.com/articlesbackground_013.htm.
-  Verrept Stijn, 2000. Keynote Speech. Paper presented at the European Association of Business Communication, Antwerp.
Publication order reference