Travel blogs and perceived destination image: theoretical background
Languages of publication
Destination Image (DI) is a concept that has interested researchers in the field of tourism for many years. Using many tools to study this concept, researchers have realized that Travel Blogs (TB) can be an excellent means to get a detailed description about the perceptions of tourists, their motivations and their expectations. The present paper, built on a review of literature, links the two concepts of perceived destination image and Travel Blogs and puts in evidence the importance, characteristics and advantages of these important concepts. In the present work, we cite the main postulates made by researchers both on perceived destination image and travel blogs. The main advantage of this paper, is its ability to give an overall picture that can be used for further theoretical model development of the relationship between Travel Blogs and Perceived destination image.
-  D. Buhalis, eTourism: Information technology for strategic tourism management, 1 edition. Harlow, England: Pearson, 2003.
-  S. Puhringer and a. Taylor, A practitioner’s report on blogs as a potential source of destination marketing intelligence, J. Vacat. Mark., vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 177-187, 2008.
-  D. Buhalis and M. Zoge, The Strategic Impact of the Internet on the Tourism Industry, in Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2007, D. M. Sigala, D. L. Mich, and D. J. Murphy, Eds. Springer Vienna, 2007, pp. 481-492.
-  D. Buhalis and M. C. Licata, The future eTourism intermediaries, Tour. Manag., vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 207-220, Jun. 2002.
-  P. O’Connor, Electronic Information Distribution in Tourism and Hospitality, First edition. New York, NY: CABI, 1999.
-  D. Buhalis, eAirlines: Strategic and Tactical Use of ICTs in the Airline Industry, Inf Manage, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 805-825, Sep. 2004.
-  S. A. Garcés, S. Gorgemans, A. Martı́nez Sánchez, and M. Pérez Pérez, Implications of the Internet - an analysis of the Aragonese hospitality industry, 2002, Tour. Manag., vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 603-613, Oct. 2004.
-  R. Govers and F. M. Go, Deconstructing destination image in the information age. Inf. Technol. Tour., vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 13-29, Jan. 2003.
-  Vincent C. S. Heung, Internet usage by international travellers: reasons and barriers, Int. J. Contemp. Hosp. Manag., vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 370-378, Dec. 2003.
-  S. Stepchenkova and A. M. Morrison, The destination image of Russia: From the online induced perspective, Tour. Manag., vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 943-956, Oct. 2006.
-  C. Standing and T. Vasudavan, “The marketing of regional tourism via the Internet: Lessons from Australian and South African sites - ProQuest, Mark. Intell. Plan., vol. 18, no. 1, p. 45, 2000.
-  B. Doolin, L. Burgess, and J. Cooper, Evaluating the use of the Web for tourism marketing: a case study from New Zealand, Tour. Manag., vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 557-561, Oct. 2002.
-  D. L. Hoffman and T. P. Novak, Marketing in Hypermedia Computer-Mediated Environments: Conceptual Foundations, J. Mark., vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 50-68, 1996.
-  D. Carson, Developing Regional Tourism Using Information Communications Technology, in Encyclopedia of Developing Regional Communities with Information and Communication Technology, Idea Group Inc (IGI), 2005.
-  D. Schmallegger and D. Carson, Blogs in tourism: Changing approaches to information exchange, J. Vacat. Mark., vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 99-110, Apr. 2008.
-  T. O’Reilly, What Is Web 2.0? Design Patterns and Business Models for the Next Generation of Software, 30-Sep-2005. .
-  K. A. C., Roger J. Best, Roger J. Best, Kenneth A. Coney Delbert I. Hawkins, Consumer Behavior: Building Marketing Strategy: 9th (nineth) Edition, 7916th edition. McGraw-Hill College, 2003.
-  J. Arndt, Role of Product-Related Conversations in the Diffusion of a New Product, J. Mark. Res., vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 291-295, 1967.
-  W. J. Carl, “What’s All The Buzz about? Everyday Communication and the Relational Basis of Word-of-Mouth and Buzz Marketing Practices, Manag. Commun. Q., vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 601-634, May 2006.
-  R. A. Westbrook, Product/Consumption-Based Affective Responses and Postpurchase Processes, J. Mark. Res., vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 258-270, 1987.
-  F. A. Buttle, Word of mouth: understanding and managing referral marketing, J. Strateg. Mark., vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 241-254, Jan. 1998.
-  S. W. Litvin, R. E. Goldsmith, and B. Pan, Electronic word-of-mouth in hospitality and tourism management, Tour. Manag., vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 458-468, 2008.
-  C. Cox, S. Burgess, C. Sellitto, and J. Buultjens, Consumer-generated web-based tourism marketing, ResearchGate, Jan. 2008.
-  C.-H. Lin, D. B. Morais, D. L. Kerstetter, and J.-S. Hou, Examining the Role of Cognitive and Affective Image in Predicting Choice Across Natural, Developed, and Theme-Park Destinations, J. Travel Res., vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 183-194, Nov. 2007.
-  C. Bosangit, S. McCabe, and S. Hibbert, What is Told in Travel Blogs? Exploring Travel Blogs for Consumer Narrative Analysis, in Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2009, D. W. Höpken, D. U. Gretzel, and D. R. Law, Eds. Springer Vienna, 2009, pp. 61-71.
-  E. Mariné Roig, From the projected to the transmitted image: the 2.0 construction of tourist destination image and identity in Catalonia, info: eurepo/semantics/doctoral Thesis 2013.
-  J. M. F. Gomis, Los Blogs Dentro del Turismo 2.0,” ROTUR Rev. Ocio Tur., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 135-152, Oct. 2008.
-  M. Banyai and T. D. Glover, “Evaluating research methods on travel blogs, J. Travel Res., vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 267-277, 2012.
-  H. Rheingold, The Virtual Community: Homesteading on the Electronic Frontier, Revised edition edition. Cambridge, Mass: The MIT Press, 2000.
-  P. O’Connor, User-Generated Content and Travel: A Case Study on Tripadvisor.Com,” in Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2008, D. P. O’Connor, D. W. Höpken, and D. U. Gretzel, Eds. Springer Vienna, 2008, pp. 47-58.
-  J. C. Crotts, P. R. Mason, and B. Davis, “Measuring Guest Satisfaction and Competitive Position in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry An Application of Stance-Shift Analysis to Travel Blog Narratives,” J. Travel Res., vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 139-151, Nov. 2009.
-  M. Dwivedi, T. P. Shibu, and U. Venkatesh, Social software practices on the internet: Implications for the hotel industry, Int. J. Contemp. Hosp. Manag., vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 415-426, Jul. 2007.
-  A. C. Douglas and J. E. Mills, Logging Brand Personality Online: Website Content Analysis of Middle Eastern and North African Destinations, in Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2006, D. M. Hitz, D. M. Sigala, and D. J. Murphy, Eds. Springer Vienna, 2006, pp. 345-345.
-  R. Romell, Local agency at forefront of putting clients in niche markets through blogs, Milwaukee J. Sentin. Milwaukee WI, Jul. 2005.
-  K. Waldhör and A. Rind, etBlogAnalysis — Mining Virtual Communities using Statistical and Linguistic Methods for Quality Control in Tourism, in Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2008, D. P. O’Connor, D. W. Höpken, and D. U. Gretzel, Eds. Springer Vienna, 2008, pp. 453-462.
-  X. Li and Y. Wang, Depicting Image of China as a Tourism Destination: A Travel Blog Approach, Grad. Stud. Res. Conf. Hosp. Tour., Jan. 2011.
-  T. J. Johnson and B. K. Kaye, Wag the Blog: How Reliance on Traditional Media and the Internet Influence Credibility Perceptions of Weblogs Among Blog Users, Journal. Mass Commun. Q., vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 622-642, Sep. 2004.
-  R. W. Mack, J. E. Blose, and B. Pan, Believe it or not: Credibility of blogs in tourism,” J. Vacat. Mark., vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 133-144, Apr. 2008.
-  M. Sun, C. Ryan, and S. Pan, Using Chinese Travel Blogs to Examine Perceived Destination Image The Case of New Zealand, J. Travel Res., vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 543-555, 2015.
-  J. Price and M. Starkov, Building a blog strategy in hospitality: grow customer relationships and direct online revenue, Retrieved May, vol. 9, no. 2010, 2006.
-  R. W. McIntosh and C. R. Goeldner, Tourism: Principles, Practices, Philosophies, 6th edition. New York: Wiley, 1990.
-  J. C. Crotts, Consumer decision making and prepurchase information search, in Consumer Behavior in Travel and Tourism, Psychology Press, 1999.
-  B. Pan, T. MacLaurin, and J. C. Crotts, Travel Blogs and the Implications for Destination Marketing, J. Travel Res., vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 35-45, Aug. 2007.
-  N. Sharda and M. Ponnada, Tourism Blog Visualizer for better tour planning, J. Vacat. Mark., vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 157-167, Apr. 2008.
-  S. Volo, Bloggers’ reported tourist experiences: Their utility as a tourism data source and their effect on prospective tourists, J. Vacat. Mark., vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 297-311, Oct. 2010.
-  J. D. Hunt, Image as a Factor in Tourism Development, J. Travel Res., vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 1-7, Jan. 1975.
-  S. Lertputtarak, “The Relationship between Destination Image, Food Image, and Revisiting Pattaya, Thailand, Aug. 2011.
-  P. Kotler, Marketing Places. Simon and Schuster, 2002.
-  E. D. Marino, The strategic dimension of destination image: An analysis of the French Riviera image from the Italian tourists’ perceptions, PhD Tour. Manag. Univ. Naples 2008.
-  R. Bandyopadhyay and D. Morais, Representative dissonance: India’s Self and Western Image, Ann. Tour. Res., vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 1006-1021, Oct. 2005.
-  H. Kim and S. L. Richardson, Motion picture impacts on destination images, Ann. Tour. Res., vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 216-237, Jan. 2003.
-  D. Fesenmaier and K. MacKay, Deconstructing destination image construction, Tour. Rev., vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 37-43, Feb. 1996.
-  A. Beerli and J. D. Martín, Factors influencing destination image, Ann. Tour. Res., vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 657-681, Jul. 2004.
-  A. Driscoll, R. Lawson, and B. Niven, Measuring tourists’ destination perceptions, Ann. Tour. Res., vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 499-511, Jan. 1994.
-  C. M. Echtner and J. B. Ritchie, The meaning and measurement of destination image, J. Tour. Stud., vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 2-12, 1991.
-  M. D. Reilly, Free Elicitation Of Descriptive Adjectives For Tourism Image Assessment, J. Travel Res., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 21-26, Apr. 1990.
-  D. Carson, The `blogosphere’ as a market research tool for tourism destinations: A case study of Australia’s Northern Territory, J. Vacat. Mark., vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 111-119, Apr. 2008.
-  M. Jones and I. Alony, Blogs – the new source of data analysis, Fac. Commer. - Pap. Arch., Jan. 2008.
-  T. Kurashima, T. Tezuka, and K. Tanaka, Blog Map of Experiences: Extracting and Geographically Mapping Visitor Experiences from Urban Blogs, in Web Information Systems Engineering – WISE 2005, A. H. H. Ngu, M. Kitsuregawa, E. J. Neuhold, J.-Y. Chung, and Q. Z. Sheng, Eds. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2005, pp. 496-503.
-  A. Wenger, Analysis of travel bloggers’ characteristics and their communication about Austria as a tourism destination, J. Vacat. Mark., vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 169-176, Apr. 2008.
-  Y.-S. Lin and J.-Y. Huang, Internet blogs as a tourism marketing medium: A case study, J. Bus. Res., vol. 59, no. 10-11, pp. 1201-1205, Oct. 2006.
-  D. Schmallegger and D. Carson, Destination Image Projection on Consumer-Generated Content Websites: A Case Study of the Flinders Ranges, Inf. Technol. Tour., vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 111-127, Oct. 2009.
Publication order reference