Attitudes and orientation of employees in the Serbian catering industry about products with protected origin
Languages of publication
The subject of this paper is the knowledge and attitudes of employees in the hospitality industry about products with protected geographical origin in Serbia. In order to include these products in the gastronomic offer, data whether employees are aware of them must be obtained since they represent the main purpose of this paper. The aim of this paper is to investigate the knowledge level, awareness and attitudes of employees in catering and tourism in Serbia about the importance and the type of protected products and their representation in the gastronomic offer of Serbia. The critical review is in accord with the official regulations and guidelines under the law of the Republic of Serbia on protected products. Employees (n = 202) in restaurants on the territory of Serbia participated in the research. The data obtained by the survey were processed using descriptive statistics and presented in a table in the paper. Based on the conducted research, it was found out that the employees are familiar with the concept of protected food, but that their use is not sufficiently represented in the gastronomic offer of Serbia.
- Department of Hotel Management School, Academy of Vocational Studies Belgrade, Kneza Višeslava 70, Belgrade, Serbia
- High School of Tourism Novi Beograd, Otona Župančiča 4, Belgrade, Serbia
- Department of Geography, Tourism and Hotel Management, Faculty of Sciences, High School of Tourism Novi Beograd, Trg Dositej Obradović 3, Novi Sad, Serbia
-  Patel-Campillo A., De Lessio-Parson A., Why types of operations, trade associations, and production trends matter in the geographic branding of an emerging industry. Journal of Wine Research 27(3) (2016) 242–256. https://doi.org/10.1080/09571264.2016.1202218
-  Ghidotti M., Fiamegos Y., Dumitrascu C., de la Calle M. B., Use of elemental profiles to verify geographical origin and botanical variety of Spanish honeys with a protected denomination of origin. Food Chemistry, 342 (2020) 128350. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.128350
-  Lorena G. D., Areas P. D. O., Lima, F. B. C., Tourism and Geographical Indication: the origin denomination of the banana from Corupá Region, Santa Catarina, Brazil. Turismo e Sociedade, 12(2) (2019) 65-83. doi:10.5380/tes.v12i2.67895
-  Chandra S., Chapman J., Power A., RobertsJ., Cozzolino, D., Origin and regionality of wines—The role of molecular spectroscopy. Food Analytical Methods, 10(12) (207) 3947-3955. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12161-017-0968-1
-  Ćirić M., Kalenjuk B., Janković I., Regional Products with the Protection of Origin in Serbia Tourism Offer. Indonesian Journal of Tourism and Leisure, 1(2) (2020) 61-72. https://doi.org/10.36256/ijtl.v1i2.101
-  Conneely R., Mahon M., Protected geographical indications: Institutional roles in food systems governance and rural development. Geoforum, 60 (2015) 14-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoforum.2015.01.004
-  Borg E.A., Gratzer K., Collective brand strategy, entrepreneurship, and regional growth: the role of a Protected Designation of Origin (PDO). Journal of World Economic Research, 2 (2013) 26–38. doi:10.11648/j.jwer.20130203.11
-  Dossin A., Lazzari F., Milan G. S., Piccin T., The Influence of Denomination of Origin on The Perception of Coffee Consumers: A Study with Brazilians and the French. Revista Eletronica de Ciencia Administrativa, 18(1) (2019) 132-155
-  Arvanitoyannis I. S., Wine authenticity, traceability and safety monitoring, in Managing Wine Quality, A. Reynolds, Editor. Woodhead Publishing, (2010) 218–270. https://doi.org/10.1533/9781845699284.2.218
-  Vanhonacker F., Verbeke W., Guerrero L., Claret A., Contel, M., Scalvedi L., Granli B.S., How European consumers define the concept of traditional food: evidence from a survey in six countries. Agribusiness 26 (4) (2010) 453-476. https://doi.org/10.1002/agr.20241
-  Burešová P., Mrkvová K., Dudić B., Changes in gastronomy. Hotel and Tourism Management, 8(1) (2020) 79-88. doi: 10.5937/menhottur2001079B
-  Miranda C. M., Moreno R., Moreno P., The Protected Denomination of Origin Effect on the sustainability of Ecuadorian Cocoa sector: An empirical analysis of chain-actors perception. Economia agro-alimentare / Food Economy, 22(1) (2020).
-  Kalenjuk B., Vulić G., Tešanović D., Positioning of protected Slovenian gastronomic products in tourism. Zbornik radova deaprtmana za geografiju turizam i hotelijerstvo, 39 (2010) 232-247
-  Kalenjuk B., Tešanović D., Rudić L., Korbatfinski M., Gagić S., Vuksanović N., The gastronomic potential of Northern Bačka in function of gastronomy tourism. Zbornik radova deaprtmana za geografiju turizam i hotelijerstvo, 41 (2012) 337-349
-  Radovanović N., National and international protection of agricultural and food products by geographical indication – the case of Serbia. Food Marketing (2014) 115-127
-  Gregoric M., The importance of branding of agricultural products with quality labels and their recognition in Croatian Market. 7th International Scientific Symposium „Economy of Eastern Croatia – Vision and Growth” 24-26 May 2018.
-  Bonadonna A., Peira G., Giachino C., Molinaro L., Traditional cheese production and an EU labeling scheme: the alpine cheese producers’ opinion. Agriculture 7 (8) (2017) 65. https://doi.org/10.3390/agriculture7080065
-  Aprile M. C., Caputo V., Nayga R. M., Consumers' valuation of food quality labels: The case of the European geographic indication and organic farming labels. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 36(2) (2012) 158–165. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2011.01092.x
-  Agostino M., Trivieri F., Geographical indication and wine exports. An empirical investigation considering the major European producers. Food Policy, 46 (2014) 22-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2014.02.002
-  Supeková S., Honza M., Kačenová D., Perception of Slovak foodstuffs designated by protected geographical indication by Slovak consumers. Journal of Food and Nutrition Research, 47(4) (2008) 205-208
-  Herrera C.F., Blanco C.F., Consequences of consumer trust in PDO food products: the role of familiarity. Journal of Product and Brand Management, 20 (2011) 282-296. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610421111148306
-  Fernández-Ferrín P., Bande B., Galán-Ladero M. M., Martín-Consuegra D., Díaz E., Castro-González S., Geographical indication food products and ethnocentric tendencies: The importance of proximity, tradition, and ethnicity. Journal of Cleaner Production, 241 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.118210
-  Agrimonti C., Pirondini A., Marmiroli M., Marmiroli N., A quadruplex PCR (qxPCR) assay for adulteration in dairy products. Food Chem. 187 (2015) 58-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.04.017
-  Di Pinto A., Mottola A., Marchetti P., Savarino A., Tantillo G., Fraudulent species substitution in e-commerce of protected denomination origin (pdo) products. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 79 (2019) 143-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2019.03.018
-  Likoudis Z., Sdrali D., Costarelli V., Apostolopoulos C., Consumers’ intention to buy protected designation of origin and protected geographical indication foodstuffs: the case of Greece. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 40(3) (2016) 283-289. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcs.12253
-  Law on Indications of Geographical Origin, "Official Gazette RS", no. 18/2010 from 26.03.2010.
-  Tešanović D., Koprivica M., Influence of quality definition of regional gastronomic products on formation of touristic offer of Serbia. International Participation Conference, Recognisable national gastronomy-tourist potential, Bled, Slovenia, (2007) 217-223.
-  Wambui G. A., Judy K., Stephen M., Offer quality affecting consumption of hospitality products and services in franchised restaurants in Nairobi Central Business district Kenya. Hotel and Tourism Management, 7(1) (2019) 37-46. https://doi.org/10.5937/menhottur1901037W
-  Vujić M., Đorđević S., Lakićević M., Service quality and customer satisfaction in the hotel industry in Serbia. Hotel and Tourism Management, 7(1) (2019) 61-70. https://doi.org/10.5937/menhottur1901061V
Publication order reference