Principal Component Analysis of Egg Quality Characteristics of Isa Brown Layer Chickens in Nigeria
Languages of publication
This study was designed to provide an objective description of egg quality of Isa brown layer chickens in Nigeria. 104 eggs were used for the study. The eggs were initially weighed individually using a sensitive electronic weighing balance with accuracy of 0.001g. Data were collected on egg weight, egg length, egg width, oblong circumference, egg shell weight, yolk height, albumen height, albumen length, Haugh unit, albumen index and egg shell thickness. Data were subjected to principal component analysis. Egg quality traits had three principal components (factors) that contributed 85.805% of the total variability of the original eleven egg characteristics tested. The three principal components had Eigen values of 4.73 (PC1), 3.656 (PC2) and 1.069 (PC3). The first factor (PC1) accounted for 42.84% of the total variance, the second factor (PC2) accounted for 33.24% of the total variance, while the third factor (PC3) accounted for 9.72% of the total variance. The moderate to large communalities (0.583 – 0.944) observed indicate that a large number of variance has been accounted for by the factor solution. The present principal component analysis provided a means for objective description of the interdependence in the original eleven egg quality characteristics of Isa Brown layer chickens.
- Department of Animal Breeding and Physiology, College of Animal Science, University of Agriculture Makurdi, P.M.B. 2373 Makurdi, Benue State, 234, Nigeria, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department of Animal Breeding and Physiology, College of Animal Science, University of Agriculture Makurdi, P.M.B. 2373 Makurdi, Benue State, 234, Nigeria
- Federal Department of Animal Husbandry Services, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, P.M.B. 135 Garki Abuja, Nigeria
-  Abanikaanda, O. T. F., Olutogun, O., Leigh, A. O. and Ajayi, L. A. (2007). Statistical modeling of egg weight and egg dimensions in commercial layers. International Journal of Poultry Science, 6(1): 59-63
-  Abdi, H. and Williams, L. J. (2010). Principal Component Analysis. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. WIREs Comp. Stat. 2: 433-457
-  Bing-Xue, D., Jian-Zhou, S., Jin-Bing, Z., Wan-Li, G., Yun, W. and Xue-Ying, C. (2013). Principal component analysis of egg quality characteristics of native duck breeds in China. Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, 12(15): 1286-1288
-  Egena, S. S. A., Ijaiya, A. T., Ogah, D. M. and Aya, V. E. (2014). Principal Component Analysis of Body Measurements in a Population of Indigenous Nigerian Chickens Raised Under Extensive Management System. Slovakian Journal of Animal Science, 47 (2): 77-82
-  Everitt, B. S., Landau, S. and Leese, M. (2001). Cluster Analysis. 4th edn. Arnold Publisher, London.
-  Eyduran, E., Topal, M. and Sonmez, A. Y. (2010). Use of factor scores in multiple regression analysis for estimation of body weight by several body measurements in brown trouts (Salmo trutta fario). International Journal of Agriculture & Biology, 12: 611-615.
-  Jolliffe, I. T. (2002). Principal Component Analysis. 2nd ed. Springer series in Statistics. Pp. 1-6
-  Kabir, M., Sulaiman, R. O., Idris, R. K., Abdu, S. B., Daudu, O. M., Yashim, S. A., Hassan, M. R., Adamu, H. Y., Eche, N. M., Olugbemi, T. S. and Adedibu, I. I. (2014). Effects of Strain, Age and the Interrelationships between External and Internal Qualities of Eggs in Two Strains of Layer Chickens in Northern Guinea Savannah Zone of Nigeria. Iranian Journal of Applied Animal Science, 4(1): 179-184
-  Okoro, V. M., Ogundu, U. E., Okani, M., Oziri, I., Eneowo, O., Olisenekwu, O. T., Kadurumba, O., Ogbuewu, I. P., Onyemauwa, S., Ukwu, H. O. and Ibe, S. N. (2015). Principal Component Analysis of Conformation and Blood Marker Traits at Pre- and Post-Weaning Stages of Growth in F2 Crossbred Nigerian Indigenous X Landrace Pigs. Animal Biotechnology, 26: 243-250
-  Onyeagu, S. I. (2003). A First Course in Multivariate Statistical Analysis. Mega Concept. Pub. Pp. 146-148
-  Sarica, M. H., Onder, H. and Yamak, U. S. (2012). Determining the most effective variables for egg quality traits of five different hen genotypes. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology, 14: 235-240
-  Sekeroglu, A. and Altuntas, E. (2009). Effects of egg weight on egg quality characteristics. Journal of Science of Food and Agriculture, 89(3): 379-383.
-  SPSS (IBM) (2011). Statistics for windows, version 20.0. Armonk, NY: IBM Corp.
-  Tolenkhomba, T. C., Konsam, D. S., Singh, N. S., Prava M., Singh, Y. D., Ali, M. A. and Motina, E. (2012). Factor analysis of body measurements of local cows of Manipur, India. International Multidisciplinary Research Journal, 2(2): 77-82
-  Ude, I. and Ogbu, C. C. (2011). Principal component analysis of body measurements in three strains of broiler chickens. Science World Journal, 6(2): 11-14
-  Yakubu, A. and Ayoade, J. A. (2009). Application of Principal Component Factor Analysis in Quantifying Size and Morphological Indices of Domestic Rabbits. International Journal of Morphology, 27(4): 1013-1017
-  Yakubu, A., Kuje, D. and Okpeku, M. (2009). Principal components as measure of size and shape in Nigerian indigenous chickens, Thailand Journal of Agricultural Science, 42(3): 167-176
Publication order reference