Numerical Simulation of Reservoir Formation Damage Due to Mud Filtrate Invasions
Languages of publication
This paper examined the numerical simulation of mud filtrate invasion process quantitatively with finite difference scheme that includes the effects of mudcake growth in oil well damage. Most of the existing models are empirical, experimental or rather complex. Efforts have been made to develop the linear flow model involving the modification of Darcy’s equation for determination of mudcake porosity-permeability and thickness through formation pressure near wellbore. The results show the effects of pressure transient on cake buildup over a considerable time intervals. Results also characterized cake parameters and time into low and high permeability zones that are strictly linear with pressure change and supercharging observed during the sensitive formation testing.
- Department of Mineral and Petroleum Engineering, Yaba College of Technology, Lagos, Nigeria
- Department of Pure and Applied Mathematics, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Nigeria
- Department of Earth Sciences, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, Nigeria
-  Aaron, K. K. (2005): Perspective: big oil, rural poverty, and environmental degradation in the Niger Delta region of Nigeria; Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health, 11 (2) 127-134
-  Abdolreza Dabiri, Mohammed Afkhami, and Hooman Fallah ((2013): Reservoir Fomation Damage due to Mud Filtration; Department of Petroleum Engineering Iran. International Journal of Oil, Gas and Coal Engineering Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-5
-  Aki E. E., V. E. Ediene, Characteristics and classification of soils derived from Awi sandstone formation in Awi, Akamkpa local government area of Cross River State, Nigeria. World Scientific News 112 (2018) 142-152
-  Aniefiok E. Ite, Udo J. Ibok, Margaret U. Ite, and Sunday W. Petters, Petroleum Exploration and Production: Past and Present Environmental Issues in the Nigeria’s Niger Delta. American Journal of Environmental Protection 1, no. 4 (2013): 78-90. doi: 10.12691/env-1-4-2
-  Calcada, L. A., Scheid, C. M., De Araujo, C.A.O., Waldmann, A. T. A. and Martins, A.L (2011): Anaylsis of Dynamic and Static Filtration and Determination of Mudcake Parameters. Brazilian Journal of Petroleum and Gas, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 159-170
-  Civan, Faruk (1994): Drilling Mud Filtrate Invasion – Improved Model and Solution; Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol. 11, pp. 183-193
-  Civan, Faruk (1998): Practical Model for Compressive Cake Filtration including Fine Particle Invasion. AICHE Journal, Vol. 44, No. 11 pp. 2398
-  Civan, Faruk (2000): Reservoir Formation Damage-Fundamentals, Modeling, Assessment, and Mitigation; 2nd Ed., Gulf Professional Pub., Elsevier, 11-14.
-  Civan, Faruk (2007): Formation Damage Mechanisms and Their Phenomenological Modeling. SPE-107875, 2-12.
-  Civan, Faruk (2015): Reservoir Formation Damage; 3td Ed. ISBN: 978-0-12-801898-9. Gulf Professional Pub., Elsevier, pp. 11-14.
-  Dewan, J. T. and Chenevert, M. E. (1993): Mudcake buildup and Invasion in low permeability Formations: Application to Permeability Determination by Measurement while Drilling; SPWLA/CWLS Symposium, June13-14, Calgary Alberta.
-  Dewan, J. T. and Chenevert, M. E. (2001): a Model for Filtration of Water-Based Mud during Drilling: Determination of Mudcake Parameters. Petropyhsics, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 237-250
-  Ferguson, C. K. and Klotz, (1954): Filtration of Mud during Drilling. Petroleum Transactions of AIME, Vol. 201, pp. 29
-  Isehunwa, S. O. and Falade, G. K. (2012): An Approximate Theory of Static Filtration of Drilling Muds in Vertical Wells; Department of Petroleum Engineering, University of Ibadan, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 26-31
-  Jianghui, Wu, Carlois, Toress-Verdin, Kamy, Sepehrnoori and Mark A. Proett (2005): The Influence of Water-Based Mud Properties and Petrophysical parameters on Mudcake Growth, Filtrate Invasion, and Formation Pressure. Petropyhsics, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 14-32
-  Outmans, H. (1963): Mechanics of Static and Dynamic Filtration in the Borehole; SPE-491, pp. 236-244
-  Reijers, T. J. A., Petters, S.W., Nwajide, C. S. (1996): The Niger Delta Basin in: T.J.A. Reijers (Ed) Selected Chapters on Geology; SPDC Corporate Reprographic Service, Warri, Nigeria, pp.103-144.
-  Tien C and Bai R. (2003): An Assessment of the Conventional Cake Filtration Theory. Chem. Eng. Sci. Vol. 58, pp. 1323-1336.
-  Tiller F.M. (1975): Compressible Cake Filtration; In Scientific Basis of Filtration. K Ives (Ed). Noordhoff, London, U.K. pp. 315-397
-  Xu T et al (2008): Equivalent Cake Filtration Model. Chinese J. of Chem. Eng. 16(2), 214-217
-  Windarto, A., Yodi, G., Pudjo, S. and Edy, S. (2011): Modeling of Mud Filtrate Invasion and Damage Zone Formation. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, Vol. 77, Issue 3-4, pp. 259-364
Publication order reference