Natural Flood Management: A restatement of the Natural Science Evidence
Languages of publication
Flood events often have severe socio-economic impacts, such as loss of lives and livelihoods, food, water and energy scarcity, and adverse impacts on human health and the environment. As far as feasible, human interference into the processes of nature should be reversed, compensated and, in the future, prevented. This study explores the possible solutions for the drainage system to ensure peak performance that might be adopted in España Boulevard, Manila. It aims to describe the wastewater management system to prevent and protect the adverse impact of flood events on human health and safety, on valuable goods and property, and on the aquatic and terrestrial environment.
-  Acosta, L. A., Eugenio, E. A., Macandog, P. B. M., Magcale-Macandog, D. B., Lin, E. K. H., Abucay, E. R., ... & Primavera, M. G. (2016). Loss and damage from typhoon-induced floods and landslides in the Philippines: community perceptions on climate impacts and adaptation options. International Journal of Global Warming, 9(1), 33-65
-  Bankoff, G. (2003). Constructing vulnerability: the historical, natural and social generation of flooding in metropolitan Manila. Disasters, 27(3), 224-238
-  Bankoff, G. (2003). Cultures of disaster: society and natural hazards in the Philippines. Psychology Press.
-  Bankoff, G. (2012). Storm over San Isidro: “Civic community” and disaster risk reduction in the nineteenth century Philippines. Journal of Historical Sociology, 25(3), 331-351.
-  Boardman, J., Ligneau, L., de Roo, A. D., & Vandaele, K. (1994). Flooding of property by runoff from agricultural land in northwestern Europe. Geomorphology, 10(1-4), 183-196
-  Catane, S. G., Abon, C. C., Saturay, R. M., Mendoza, E. P. P., & Futalan, K. M. (2012). Landslide-amplified flash floods—the June 2008 Panay Island flooding, Philippines. Geomorphology, 169, 55-63
-  Delos Reyes, M. L. F., David, W. P., Schultz, B., & Prasad, K. (2015). Assessment of the process, nature and impact of rehabilitation for development of a moderniZation strategy for national irrigation systems in the Philippines. Irrigation and Drainage, 64(4), 464-478
-  Dettinger, M. (2011). Climate change, atmospheric rivers, and floods in California–a multimodel analysis of storm frequency and magnitude changes. JAWRA Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 47(3), 514-523
-  Easton, A. (1999). Leptospirosis in Philippine floods. BMJ, 319(7204), 212
-  Ely, L. L., Enzel, Y., Baker, V. R., & Cayan, D. R. (1993). A 5000-year record of extreme floods and climate change in the southwestern United States. Science, 262(5132), 410-412
-  Gaillard, J. C., Pangilinan, M. R., Rom Cadag, J., & Le Masson, V. (2008). Living with increasing floods: insights from a rural Philippine community. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 17(3), 383-395
-  Ganiron, T. U. (2014). Jr, An Analysis of the Public Perception of Floods in Manila City. International Journal of Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity, 5, 1-14
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2015). Flood Control and Drainage System of Espana Boulevard in Metro Manila. International Journal of Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity, 6, 17-28
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2016). A Case Study of Site Conditions and Ground Stability of Town Homes. International Journal of Smart Home, 10(1), 207-216.
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2016). Analysis and Design of Gravitational Sub-Pumping Station. International Journal of Smart Home, 10(5), 207-216.
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2017). Performance of Community Water Supply Management towards Designing Water Safety Plan. World News of Natural Sciences, 10, 10-25
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2017). Effect of Bike Lane Infrastructure on Ridership. World Scientific News, 74, 36-52
-  Ganiron Jr, T.U. (2017). Balancing the Closed Traverse in Land Surveying. World Scientific News, 83, 45-61
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2016). The Human Impact of Floods towards Mega Dike Effectiveness. International Journal of Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity, 7, 1-12
-  Haraguchi, M., & Lall, U. (2015). Flood risks and impacts: A case study of Thailand’s floods in 2011 and research questions for supply chain decision making. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 14, 256-272.I
-  Israel, D. C., & Briones, R. M. (2012). Impacts of natural disasters on agriculture, food security, and natural resources and environment in the Philippines (No. 2012-36). PIDS discussion paper series.
-  Jacinto, G., Velasquez, I., San Diego-McGlone, M., Villanoy, C., & Siringan, F. (2006). Biophysical environment of Manila Bay—then and now. The Environment in Asia Pacific Harbours, 293-307
-  Lantican, M. A., Guerra, L. C., & Bhuiyan, S. I. (2003). Impacts of soil erosion in the upper Manupali watershed on irrigated lowlands in the Philippines. Paddy and Water Environment, 1(1), 19-26.
-  Moya, T. B., & Malayang Iii, B. S. (2004). Climate variability and deforestation-reforestation dynamics in the Philippines. In Tropical Agriculture in Transition—Opportunities for Mitigating Greenhouse Gas Emissions? (pp. 261-277). Springer Netherlands.
-  Rodolfo, K. S., & Siringan, F. P. (2006). Global sea‐level rise is recognised, but flooding from anthropogenic land subsidence is ignored around northern Manila Bay, Philippines. Disasters, 30(1), 118-139
-  Taniguchi, M., Burnett, W. C., Dulaiova, H., Siringan, F., Foronda, J., Wattayakorn, G., ... & Ishitobi, T. (2008). Groundwater discharge as an important land-sea pathway into Manila Bay, Philippines. Journal of Coastal Research, 24(sp1), 15-24
-  Todd, G. J., & Reemtsma, K. (1978). Cholecystectomy with drainage: Factors influencing wound infection in 1,000 elective cases. The American Journal of Surgery, 135(5), 622-623
-  Yumul, G. P., Servando, N. T., Suerte, L. O., Magarzo, M. Y., Juguan, L. V., & Dimalanta, C. B. (2012). Tropical cyclone–southwest monsoon interaction and the 2008 floods and landslides in Panay island, central Philippines: meteorological and geological factors. Natural hazards, 62(3), 827-840
-  Yumul, G. P., Dimalanta, C. B., Servando, N. T., & Cruz, N. A. (2013). Abnormal weather events in 2009, increased precipitation and disastrous impacts in the Philippines. Climatic change, 118(3-4), 715-727
Publication order reference