Languages of publication
From before Pythagoras to after Archimedes, the cognitive life of Greece is sketched out according to and consistent with the model that stupidity is the learned inability to learn: That is a normal, dysfunctional learning process which occurs when a schema formed by linguistic biases and social norms acts via the neurotic paradox to establish a positive feedback system which renders behavior irrelevant to the environment and carries detached actions to maladaptive excesses. Special attention is de-voted to the major philosophers of the period.
-  Alley, I and Abramson L. 1979. Judgment of Contingency in Depressed and Nondepressed Students. Journal of Experimental Psychology. 108; 441-485
-  Ayton, M. Beyond Reasonable Doubt. Strategic Media; Rock Hill, SC. 2014.
-  Bandura, A. 1979. The self-system in reciprocal determinism. American Psychologist 33, 344-358
-  Bettleheim, B. 1943. Individual and mass behavior in extreme situation. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology 38, 417-452
-  Charmichael, I., Hogan, H. and Walters, A. 1932. An experimental study on the effect of Language on the reproduction of visually presented form. Journal of Experimental Psychology 15, 73-80
-  Cottrell, C. and Neuberg, S. 2005. Different emotional reactions to different groups. J. Personality and Soc. Psyc. 88, 5, pp. 770-789
-  Darlington, C. 1970. The Evolution of Man and Society. Science 68, 1332
-  Deudney, D. and Ikenberry, G. J. The international sources of Soviet change. International Security 16, 3, 105-106. 1991-1992
-  Eisenman, R. Spring, 2005. Do we perceive reality correctly?: Limits on accurate processing of in-formation. J. Information Ethics. 14, 1, 12-15.
-  Fearon, J. Iraq’s Civil War. Foreign Affairs. 86, 2. 2-16. Mar./Apr. 2007.
-  Friedman, T. Medal of Honor. The New York Times. Dec. 15, 2000.
-  Garcia, J., McGowan, B., Ervin, F. and Koelling, R. 1968. Cues: their relative effectiveness as a function of the reinforcer. Science 160, 794-795
-  Gruber, J., Mauss, I. B., & Tamir. M. 2011 A dark side of happiness? How, when and why happiness is not always good. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 6(3), 222-233
-  Haas, H., Fink, H. and Hartfelder, G. 1959. Das Placeboproblem (translation). Psychopharmacology Service Center Bull. 2, 1-65
-  Hayek, F. Sept. 1945. The Use of Knowledge in Society. American Economic Review. 35: 4. 519-530
-  Jacobs, R. and Campbell, D. 1961. The perpetuation of an arbitrary tradition through several generations of a laboratory microculture. J. of Abnormal Social Psychology 62: 649-658
-  Killian, L. 1952. The significance of multiple-group membership in disaster. American Journal of Sociology 57, 309-314
-  Krull, D. and Anderson, C. 1997. The process of explanation. Current Directions in Psychological Science 6, 1-5
-  Lendrum, B., Lendrum, D., Gray, A. and Isaacs, J. Dec. 11, 2014. The Darwin Awards: sex differ-ences in idiotic behavior. British Medical Journal 349: 7094.
-  Lewinsohn, P., Mischel, W., Chaplin, W. and Barton, R. 1980. Social competence and depression: the role of illusory self-perceptions. Journal of Abnormal Psychology 89, 203-212.
-  MacKinnon, D. 1967. Assessing creative persons. Journal of Creative Behavior 1, 291-304.
-  Massad, C., Hubbard, M. and Newston, D. 1979. Selected Perception of Events. J. Exp. Soc. Psyc. 15; 531
-  Nyhan, B. and J. Reifer. 2010. When Corrections Fail: The persistence of political misperceptions. Political Behavior.
-  Olson, M. Nov. 1993. Dictatorship, Democracy, and Development. American Political Science Review. Vol 87; 9; pp. 657-576
-  Redl, F. 1942. Group emotion and leadership. Psychiatry 573-596.
-  Roszak, T. Mar/Apr 1993. Sierra; 78, 2, 59
-  Rothbard, M. Spring, 2002. Richard T. Ely: Paladin of the Welfare-Warfare State. Independent Review 6, 4, 587
-  Sears, R. 1936. Experimental studies of projection: I. Attribution of traits. Journal of Social Psychology 7, 151-163
-  Seligman, M. 1970. On the generality of the laws of learning. Psychological Review 77, 406-418
-  Sherif, M. 1958. Superordinate goals in the reduction of intergroup conflict. American Journal of Sociology 63, 349-356.
-  Snyder, M and Uranowitz, D. 1978. Reconstructing the past: some cognitive consequences of person perception. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 36, 941-950
-  Staple, D. Reicher, S. and Spears, R. 1994. Social identity, availability and the perception of risk. Social Cognition 12, 1-17
-  Sulin, R. and Dooling, D. 1974. Intrusions of a thematic idea in retention of prose. Journal of Experimental Psychology 103, 255-262
-  Swerdlow, N. The Derivation and First Draft of Copernicus’s Planetary Theory. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society 117, 6. Dec. 31, 1973.
-  Theoharis, A. The FBI and the American Legion Contact Program, 1940-1966. Political Science Quarterly. Vol. 100; No. 2. Summer, 1985.
-  Watson, B. Salem's dark hour: Did the Devil make them do it? Smithsonian 23, 1, 119. Apr. 1992.
-  Welles, J. June, 1984. The survival advantage of stupidity. Speculations in Science and Technology 7, 1, 17
-  Welles, J. June. 1986. Self-deception as a positive feedback system. American Psychologist 41, 3, 325-326
-  Williamson, R. Antirelativeism. The Journal of Politics Vol. IX. Mar. 1947.
-  Wilson, W. The Study of Administration. Political Science Quarterly. Vol. 2; 2; pp. 197-222. 1887
-  Wolfe, B. Feb. 1960. The Harvard Man in the Kremlin Wall. American Heritage XI, 2, p. 102.
-  Zweig, S. 1921. Romain Rolland. Thomas Seltzer; New York.
Publication order reference