Environmental Flood Protection Dikes
Languages of publication
Flooding is a natural event that replenishes the groundwater and revitalizes the soil through the deposit of sediments. However, when communities settle within floodplains, flooding can cause adverse social, economic and environmental impacts. Flood protection works, such as dikes, can further reduce flood risk. These structures particularly relevant in protecting historic communities that were settled before floodplain management policies were implemented. However, it is technically and economically impossible to completely eliminate flood risk with dikes. During severe floods, dike failures may occur due to erosion, overtopping or seepage. This study predicts that dike construction may lead to water level lowering for in-bank flows and to water level increases for out-of-bank (flood) flows. This confirms that, in principle, the existing Pampanga dike and specifically on the construction of Taguig City dike along the Laguna Lake may have contributed to the observed flood water level trends in the Metro Manila.
-  Apel, H., Merz, B., & Thieken, A. H. (2009). Influence of dike breaches on flood frequency estimation. Computers & Geosciences, 35(5), 907-923.
-  Cho, R. (2011, June 7). Making Room for Rivers: A Different Approach to Flood Control. News from the Earth Institute. Retrieved from http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2011/06/07/making-room-for-rivers-a-different-approach-to-flood-control/
-  Dawson, R., Hall, J., Sayers, P., Bates, P., & Rosu, C. (2005). Sampling-based flood risk analysis for fluvial dike systems. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, 19(6), 388-402.
-  Gouldby, B., Krzhizhanovskaya, V., & Simm, J. (2010). Multiscale modelling in real-time flood forecasting systems: From sand grain to dike failure and inundation. Procedia Computer Science, 1(1), 809.
-  Gamil, J. (2012, September 29). Still flooded, lakeside Taguig village cries out in the breeze. The Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved from http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/279710/still-flooded-lakeside-taguig-village-cries-out-in-the-breeze
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2017). Performance of Community Water Supply Management towards Designing Water Safety Plan. World News of Natural Sciences, 10, 10-25.
-  Ganiron Jr, T.U. (2017). Natural Flood Management: A restatement of the natural Science Evidence. World News of Natural Sciences, 12, 92-106
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2016). The Human Impact of Floods towards Mega Dike Effectiveness International Journal of Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity, 7, 1-12.
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2016). Analysis and Design of Gravitational Sub-Pumping Station. International Journal of Smart Home, 10(5), 207-216.
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2016). A Case Study of Site Conditions and Ground Stability of Town Homes. International Journal of Smart Home, 10(1), 207-216.
-  Ganiron Jr, T. U. (2017). Use of Forensic Engineering for Abandoned Building. World Scientific News, 83, 150-167.
-  JICA (2010). Technical Standards and Guidelines for Design of Flood Control Structures. DPWH
-  Jonkman, S. N., Kok, M., & Vrijling, J. K. (2008). Flood risk assessment in the Netherlands: A case study for dike ring South Holland. Risk Analysis, 28(5), 1357-1374.
-  Kim, I. B. (2006). Communication Strategy Analysis of a Community-Initiated Social Mobilisation Against a Road Dike Project in Taguig, Metro Manila, Philippines. Media Asia, 33(3-4), 212-218.
-  Kothyari, U. C., & Ranga Raju, K. G. (2001). Scour around spur dikes and bridge abutments. Journal of hydraulic research, 39(4), 367-374.
-  Laguna Lakeshore Expressway Dike Project (2014, February 2014). Public-Private Partnership Road Projects. Retrieved from http://ppp.gov.ph/?in_the_news=laguna-lakeshore-expressway-dike-calamba-los-banos-toll-expressway
-  Lebel, L., Sinh, B. T., Garden, P., Seng, S., Tuan, L. A., & Truc, D. V. (2009). The promise of flood protection: Dikes and dams, drains and diversions. Contested waterscapes in the Mekong region, 283.
-  Nangan II, A. P., Ganiron Jr, T. U., & Martinez, D. T. (2017). Concrete Foundation Systems and Footings. World Scientific News, 80, 1-17.
-  New road for Laguna Lake to replace LLED PPP project. (2017, January 9). Philippine Constructors Association Inc. Retrieved from http://www.pcainc.org/news/2017/1/12/new-road-for-laguna-lake-to-replace-lled-ppp-project
-  Paguican, E. M. R., Lagmay, A. M. F., Rodolfo, K. S., Rodolfo, R. S., Tengonciang, A. M. P., Lapus, M. R., ... & Obille, E. C. (2009). Extreme rainfall-induced lahars and dike breaching, 30 November 2006, Mayon Volcano, Philippines. Bulletin of volcanology, 71(8), 845-857.
-  Pilarczyk, K. (Ed.). (1998). Dikes and revetments: design, maintenance and safety assessment. CRC Press.
-  Renne, P. R., Deckart, K., Ernesto, M., Fe, G., & Piccirillo, E. M. (1996). Age of the Ponta Grossa dike swarm (Brazil), and implications to Paraná flood volcanism. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 144(1-2), 199-211.
-  Rodolfo, K. (2016, January 24). The dangerous Laguna Lakeshore Expressway Dike. Rappler. Retrieved from http://www.rappler.com/science-nature/ideas/120068-dangerous-laguna-lakeshore-expressway-dike
-  Singson, R. (2010, September 18). PPP Road Projects. Finance Asia. Retrieved from http://ppp.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/DPWH-PPP-Presentation.pdf
-  Visser, P. J. (1998). Breach growth in sand-dikes (p. 172). Delf University of Technology.
-  Vorogushyn, S., Merz, B., Lindenschmidt, K. E., & Apel, H. (2010). A new methodology for flood hazard assessment considering dike breaches. Water Resources Research, 46(8).
-  Yan. (2017, August). Benefits of dikes outweigh costs in flood control: study. Xinhua. Retrieved from http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-08/01/c_136489040.htm
-  Yumul, G. P., Dimalanta, C. B., Faustino, D. V., & De Jesus, J. V. (1998). Upper mantle–lower crust dikes of the Zambales Ophiolite Complex (Philippines): distinct short-lived, subduction-related magmatism. Journal of volcanology and geothermal research, 84(3), 287-309.
Publication order reference