Effective Use of Information Technology for Performance Management in Zambian Government Institutions
Languages of publication
The literature reviewed suggests that, much as the concept of performance management systems has been in existence for a long period of time, as early as 1980s, it is only in the early 2000s that organizations begun to reap the benefits of implementing such systems. With Norton and Kaplan invention of the balanced scorecard (Kaplan R, 2010) organizations start-ed to base performance by considering many aspects that constitutes performance of an organ-ization such as Financials, Internal business processes, customer service and people manage-ment. Use of these performance parameters would assess both individual and business per-formance as a whole. Literature suggests that integrating Information technology into business processes for example, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems, Supply chain Man-agement systems (SCM) and Inventory management, overlooking modernizing people man-agement systems like performance management, could be a misdirected investment. This form of IT implementations in many public institutions and indeed privately owned entities has not yielded expected results. This is because regardless of how good a technology might be and how huge the investment could be, if the people working on such IT systems are not efficient, the business cannot be productive, and therefore, the efficiency of any IT system can only yield results when there is a high level of efficiency from people using such systems. In-stitutions that have implemented and automated their performance systems have benefited from such systems in terms cost savings, speed of service delivery, productivity and the quali-ty of services being offered. To ascertain the impact of IT supported performance management systems in organizations; the research investigated use of performance management systems in Zambian public institutions and how such systems have impacted efficiency and productivity. Both secondary and primary data was used to evaluate performance management systems and also investigate available performance measurement systems used in public institutions and from the results obtained create a suitable software design model and also develop a prototype software solution capable of effectively improve productivity and efficiency in public institutions.
-  Aleca, O, Mihai, F, Stanciu, A, & Vrîncianu, M, 2009. Research Methodologies for Management Information in Romania, Theoretical & Applied Economics, 16, 4, pp. 75-80, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 14 December 2015.
-  Bento A., Bento B. & Ferreira White L. 2014. Strategic Performance Management Sys-tems: Impact on Business Results. Journal Of Computer Information Systems, 54, 3, pp. 25-33, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 24 December 2015.
-  Bititci, U, Carrie, A, & McDevitt, L, 1997. Integrated performance measurement sys-tems: a development guide, International Journal Of Operations & Production Manage-ment, 17, 5, pp. 522-534, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 7 December 2015.
-  Christopher J. Wells. Technology UK, Web Server Scripting - A Multi-User Login
-  Cooke, F, & Huang, K, 2011. Post acquisition evolution of the appraisal and reward systems: A study of Chinese IT firms acquired by US firms, Human Resource Man-agement, 50, 6, pp. 839-858, CINAHL Plus, EBSCOhost, viewed 2 December 2015.
-  Davidson, PL, 2013. The Delphi Technique in Doctoral Research: Considerations and Rationale. Review Of Higher Education & Self-Learning, 6, 22, pp. 53-65, Education Research Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 14 December 2015.
-  Demartini, C, & Mella, P, 2014. Beyond feedback control: The interactive use of per-formance management systems. Implications for process innovation in Italian healthcare organizations. International Journal Of Health Planning And Management, 29, 1, p. e1-e30, Scopus®, EBSCOhost, viewed 30 December 2015.
-  Fu, N, 2013. Exploring the impact of high performance work systems in professional service firms: A practices-resources-uses-performance approach. Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice And Research, 65, 3, pp. 240-257, PsycARTICLES, EBSCOhost, viewed 2 December 2015.
-  Geerken, M, & Peters, B, 2005. Automation, Integration and Performance-Based Man-agement at the Orleans Parish Criminal Sheriff's Office', Corrections Today, 67, 4, pp. 70-77, National Criminal Justice Reference Service Abstracts, EBSCOhost, viewed 8 Decemberr 2015.
-  Gimzauskiene, E, & Kloviene L, 2011. Performance Measurement System: Towards an Institutional Theory, Engineering Economics, 22, 4, pp. 338-344, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 8 December 2015.
-  Gough, N, 2014. Research Methodologies Represented (or Not) in AJEE', Australian Journal Of Environmental Education, 30, 1, pp. 64-0067, Education Research Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 14 December 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/01443570210450310
-  Jha, NK, 2008. Research Methodology [Electronic Book] N.K. Jha, n.p.: Chandigarh [India]: Abhishek Publications, 2008., University of Liverpool Catalogue, EBSCOhost, viewed 14 December 2015
-  Kaplan, R.S., D.P., Norton, and B. Rugelsjoen. 2010. Managing alliances with the bal-anced scorecard. Harvard Business Review 88(1/2) 114-121. EBSCOhost.
-  Liu, W, Guthrie, J, Flood, P, & Maccurtain, S, 2009. Unions and The Adoption of High Performance Work System: Does Employment Security Play a Role? Industrial & Labor Relations Review, 63, 1, pp. 109-127, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost.
-  Macris, L, & Sam, M. 2014. Belief, Doubt, and Legitimacy in a Performance System: National Sport Organization Perspectives, Journal Of Sport Management, 28, 5, pp. 529-550, SPORTDiscus with Full Text, EBSCOhost, viewed 30 December 2015.
-  Magni, M, Angst, C, & Agarwal, R, 2012. Everybody Needs Somebody: The Influence of Team Network Structure on Information Technology Use', Journal Of Management Information Systems, 29, 3, pp. 9-42, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 24 December 2015.
-  Mansor, M, & Tayib, M, 2013. Integrated and Open Systems Model: An Innovative Approach to Tax Administration Performance Management', Innovation Journal, 18, 3, pp. 1-29, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 30 December 2015.
-  Mansour, R, & Thorne, M, 2014. Performance management fundamentals', Health Management Technology, 35, 9, pp. 16-17, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 8 December 2015.
-  Melville, N, Kraemer, K, & Gurbaxani, V, 2004. Information Technology and Organi-zational Performance: an Integrative Model of it Business Value. MIS Quarterly, 28, 2, pp. 283-322, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 7 December 2015.
-  Messersmith, J, & Guthrie, J, 2010. High performance work systems in emergent organ-izations: Implications for firm performance. Human Resource Management, 49, 2, pp. 241-264, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 30 December 2015.
-  Mithas, S, Ramasubbu, N, & Sambamurthy, V, 2011. How Information Management Capability Influences Firm Performance. MIS Quarterly, 35, 1, pp. 237-256, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 24 December 2015.
-  Nudurupati, S, Bititci, U, Kumar, V, & Chan, F, 2011. State of the art literature review on performance measurement, Computers & Industrial Engineering, 60, 2, pp. 279-290, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 8 December 2015.
-  Parthiban, P, & Abdul Zubar, H, 2013. An integrated multi-objective decision making process for the performance evaluation of the vendors', International Journal Of Produc-tion Research, 51, 13, pp. 3836-3848, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 30 December 2015.
-  Patricia Davis, Robert W. Rogers, 2014. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.ddiworld.com/ddiworld/media/white-papers/gettingthemost_wp_ddi.pdf. [Accessed 30 December 2015].
-  Peignot, J, Peneranda, A, & Amabile, S, 2013. Strategic Decision Support Systems for Local Government: A Performance Management Issue? The Use of Information Sys-tems on the Decision-Making and Performance Management of Local Government', In-ternational Business Research, 6, 2, pp. 92-100, EconLit, EBSCOhost, viewed 8 De-cember 2015.
-  Pollanen, RM, 2014. Performance Measurement and Control Systems Evidence From Canadian Organizations. International Journal Of Business, Accounting, & Finance, 8, 1, pp. 79-97, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 30 December 2015.
-  Ranganathan, C, Dhaliwal, J, & Teo, T, 2004. Assimilation and Diffusion of Web Technologies in Supply-Chain Management: An Examination of Key Drivers and Per-formance Impacts, International Journal Of Electronic Commerce, 9, 1, pp. 127-161, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 7 January 2016.
-  Riedl, R, Davis, F, & Hevner, A, 2014. Towards a NeuroIS Research Methodology: In-tensifying the Discussion on Methods, Tools, and Measurement', Journal Of The Asso-ciation For Information Systems, 15, 10, pp. i-xxxv, Business Source Complete, EB-SCOhost, viewed 14 December 2015.
-  Salem, M, Hasnan, N, & Osman, N, 2012. Balanced Scorecard: Weaknesses, Strengths and Its Ability as Performance Management System. Journal Of Environment & Earth Science, 2, 9, p. 1, Supplemental Index, EBSCOhost, viewed 2 January 2016.
-  Sekkat, S, Kouiss, K, Saadi, J, & Deshayes, L, 2013. Developing Integrated Perfor-mance Measurement System using Component Based Approach', International Journal Of Computers, Communications & Control, 8, 2, pp. 294-303, Computers & Applied Sciences Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 8 December 2015.
-  Strecker, S, Frank, U, Heise, D, & Kattenstroth, H, 2012. MetricM: a modeling method in support of the reflective design and use of performance measurement systems', In-formation Systems & E-Business Management, 10, 2, pp. 241-276, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 24 February 2016.
-  Sukardi, S, & Arman Hakim, N, 2010. Integrated Model of Balanced Score Card and Technology Component Measurement: A Strategic Perspective in Indonesia Biofuel Engineering Development', IPTEK: The Journal For Technology And Science, 3, p. 130, Directory of Open Access Journals, EBSCOhost, viewed 2 February 2016.
-  Sykes, T, Venkatesh, V, & Johnson, J, 2014. Enterprise System Implementation and Employee Job Performance: Understanding the Role of Advice Networks. MIS Quarterly, 38, 1, pp. 51-A4, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 30 February 2016.
-  U.S. Bititci, S. S. Nudurupati, T. J. Turner, S. Creighton, (2002). Web enabled perfor-mance measurement systems: Management implications. International Journal of Op-erations & Production Management, Vol. 22 Iss: 11, pp.1273 - 1287
-  Tudor, M, & Hart, M 2013, 'Implementation of a Corporate Performance Management System in a Large City', Proceedings Of The European Conference On Information Management & Evaluation, p. 272, Publisher Provided Full Text Searching File, EB-SCOhost, viewed 8 February 2016.
-  U. S. Bititci, S. S. Nudurupati, T. J. Turner, S. Creighton, (2002). Web enabled perfor-mance measurement systems: Management implications, International Journal of Op-erations & Production Management, Vol. 22 Iss: 11, pp. 1273-128.
-  Venkatesh, S, & Ramachandran, S, 2014. Performance Measurement and Management System – Inter Company Case Study Approach – Tamin Nadu, India. International Journal Of Information, Business & Management, 6, 4, pp. 87-106, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 2 March 2016.
-  Vernadat, F, Shah, L, Etienne, A, & Siadat, A, 2013. VR-PMS: a new approach for per-formance measurement and management of industrial systems, International Journal Of Production Research, 51, 23/24, pp. 7420-7438, Business Source Complete, EBSCO-host, viewed 8 March 2016.
-  Visnjic Kastalli, I, Van Looy, B, & Neely, A, 2013. Steering Manufacturing Firms To-wards Service Business Model Innovation', California Management Review, 56, 1, pp. 100-123, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 2 March 2016.
-  Walser, K, Huber, E, & Meister, A, 2013. Planning, budgeting and performance man-agement at Swiss hospitals - Are Swiss hospitals at a crossroads - Will these medical specialist organisations in future develop into institutions with a business orientation?, GMS Medizinische Informatik, Biometrie Und Epidemiologie, 9, 3, p. 1, Publisher Pro-vided Full Text Searching File, EBSCOhost, viewed 2 March 2016.
-  Zeydan, M, & Colpan, C, 2009. A new decision support system for performance meas-urement using combined fuzzy TOPSIS/DEA approach', International Journal Of Pro-duction Research, 47, 15, pp. 4327-4349, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 8 January 2015.
-  Yeoh W, Richards G, & Shan W, 2014. Benefits and Barriers to Corporate Performance Management Systems. Journal Of Computer Information Systems, 55, 1, pp. 105-116, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 13 January 2016.
-  Townsend, L, Mazzuchi, T, & Sarkani, S 2014, 'A Schedule-Performance Approach for Level-of-Effort Tasks', Engineering Management Journal, 26, 1, pp. 21-30, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 13 January 2016.
-  Weyhrauch, W, & Culbertson, S 2009, 'Creating a Performance Incentive System: Can Risk, Distortion, and Manipulation Be Successfully Balanced?', Academy Of Manage-ment Perspectives, 23, 3, pp. 98-100, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 13 January 2016.
-  Zofka, A, Josen, R, Paliukaitė, M, Vaitkus, A, Mechowski, T, & Maliszewski, M, 2014. Elements of Pavement Management System: Case Study. Baltic Journal Of Road & Bridge Engineering, 9, 1, pp. 1-9, Computers & Applied Sciences Complete, EBSCO-host, viewed 13 January 2016.
-  Klaas, B, Semadeni, M, Klimchak, M, & Ward, A, 2012. High-performance work sys-tem implementation in small and medium enterprises: A knowledge-creation perspec-tive', Human Resource Management, 51, 4, pp. 487-510, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 13 January 2016.
-  Liu, Y, 2013. Sustainable competitive advantage in turbulent business environments. International Journal Of Production Research, 51, 10, pp. 2821-2841, Business Source Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 13 January 2016.
-  Peter Engbo Rasmussen, Kambaila Munkoni, George Lwanda - African Economic Out-look. 2015. Zambia - African Economic Outlook. [ONLINE] Available at:http://www.africaneconomicoutlook.org/en/countries/southern-africa/zambia/ . [Ac-cessed 17 January 2016].
-  Daher, T, & Lazarevic, B, 2014. Emerging instructional technologies: Exploring the ex-tent of faculty use of web 2.0 tools at a midwestern community college. Techtrends: Linking Research & Practice To Improve Learning, 58, 6, pp. 42-50, Education Re-search Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 17 January 2016.
-  Hramiak, A, & Boulton, H, 2013. Escalating the use of Web 2.0 Technology in Second-ary Schools in the United Kingdom: Barriers and Enablers Beyond Teacher Training. Electronic Journal Of E-Learning, 11, 2, pp. 91-100, Education Research Complete, EBSCOhost, viewed 17 January 2016.
-  Chiu, HH, & Fogel, J, 2014. The Impact of Manager Influence Tactics on Innovation Implementation of a Knowledge Management System. International Journal of Innova-tion Science, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 185-204. Available from: 10.1260/1757-2220.127.116.11. [20 January 2016].
Publication order reference