Molecular Phylogenetic relationships among the species of geckos in Adams’peak in Sri Lanka
Languages of publication
In the current study we attempt to identify the relationship of among geckos species that are surviving in Adam’s peak Sri Lanka. A ten month survey was undertaken to document the diversity and abundance of geckos at the Adam’s peak in Sri Lanka. By using molecular data, the aim was to genetically characterize the species of geckos occurring along directions in Adam’s peak and phylogenetically relate these to other different parts of the world. A total of 79 individuals of gecko’s tails and eggs were captured in four different areas in Adam’s peak. We use 373 bp of RAG1 to detect the gene location and DNA sequence data to recover phylogenetic relationships and elucidate a biographic pattern and close relationship among geckos. According to the morphological identification suggested that gecko’s tail specimens belonged to several species and the molecular detection method confirmed the gene pool is differentiated among the population. Analysis of sequences of the RAG1 region from gecko species confirmed that the samples belonged to family Gekkonidae with the different gene population.
- Marine Biological Resources Division, National Aquatic Resources and Development Agency (NARA), No15, Crow Island, Colombo 15, Sri Lanka, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Genetech Molecular Diagnostics And School Of Gene Technology, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Peradeniya, Peradeniya, Sri Lanaka
-  Bambaradeniya, C. N. B. (Ed.) 2006. Species richness of Fauna in Sri Lanka: Current status and future prospects. In: Bambaradeniya, C. N. B. (Ed.). Fauna of Sri Lanka: Status of Taxonomy, Research and Conservation. IUCN Sri Lanka: X-XI.
-  Batuwita, S. & Bahir, M.M. (2005) Description of five new species of Cyrtodactylus (Reptilia: Gekkonidae) from Sri Lanka. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology, 12, 351-380.
-  Bossuyt F, Meegaskumbura M, Baenerts N, Gower DJ, Pethiyagoda R, Roelants K, Mannaert A, Wilkinson M, Bahir MM, Manamendra-Arachchi K, Ng PKL, Schneider CJ, Oomen OV, Milinkovitch MC. 2005. Biodiversity in Sri Lanka and Western Ghats - Response. Science 308: 199.
-  Das, I. and A. de Silva, 2005. Photographic guide to the Snakes and other Reptiles of Sri Lanka. New Holland Publishers, Uk: 144.
-  Deraniyagala, P.E.P 1953. A colored atlas of some vertebrates from Ceylon. Vol 2. Tetrapod Reptilia. Govt. Pres, Colombo, 101 pp.
-  Gunatilleke, I. A. U. N., P. B. Karunaratne and C. V. S. Gunatilleke, 1995. Status of natural habitats in relation to the Herpetofauna of Sri Lanka. Lyriocephalus, 2: 71-80.
-  Gunawardene NR, Daniels AED, Gunatilleke IAUN, Gunatilleke CVS, Karunakaran PV, Nayak KG, Prasad S, Puyravaud P, Ramesh BR, Subramanian KA, Vasanthy G. 2007. A brief overview of the Western Ghats-Sri Lanka biodiversity hotspot. CurrentScience 93(11): 1567-1572.
-  IUCN-SL, MENR-SL. 2007. The 2007 Red List of Threatened Fauna and Flora of Sri Lanka. IUCN Sri Lanka, Colombo, Sri Lanka. 148 p.
-  Karunarathna, D.M.S., Amarasinghe, T.A.A. (2011). Reptile diversity of a fragmented lowland rain forest patch in Kukulugala, Ratnapura district, Sri Lanka. Taprobonica 2: 2.
-  Maduwage K, Silva A, Manamendra-Arachchi K, Pethiyagoda R. 2009. A taxonomic revision of the South Asian hump-nosed pit vipers (Squamata: Viperidae: Hypnale). Zootaxa 2232: 1-28.
-  Manamendra-Arachchi K, Batuwita S, Pethiyagoda R. (2007). A taxonomical revision of the Sri Lankan day-geckos (Reptilia: Gekkonidae: Cnemaspis), with description of new species from Sri Lanka and India. Zeylanica 7(1): 9-122.
-  Meegaskumbura M, Bossuyt F, Pethiyagoda R, Manamendra Arachchi K, Bahir M, Milinkovitch MC, Schneider CJ. (2002). Sri Lanka: An amphibian hotspot. Science 298 (5592) 379.
-  Wickramasinghe LJM, Rodrigo R, Dayawansa N, Jayantha ULD. (2007a). Two new species of Lankascincus (Squamata: Scincidae) from Sripada. Zootaxa 1612: 1-24.
-  Wickramasinghe LJM, Munindradasa DAI. (2007b). Review of the genus Cnemaspis Strauch, 1887 (Sauria: Gekkonidae) in Sri Lanka, with the description of five new species. Zootaxa 1490: 1-63.
Publication order reference