Fabrication, Characterization, and Corrosion Protection of Hot Dip Aluminized Coatings for Steel Using Discarded Soda Cans
Languages of publication
Corrosion which seriously affects the quality and functionality of steel can be reduced by hot dip aluminizing which involves dipping substrate to a molten aluminum bath. Thus, this study aimed to produce hot dip aluminized coating for steel using discarded soda cans. A total of 80 steel nails with length of 65.62±0.56 mm were used wherein 40 nails were intended for the hot dip aluminizing process at 650-700 °C with an average coating mass and thickness of 547 g/m2 and 170 μm, respectively, with density of 2.627 g/cm3 following ASTM standards. Compared to the non-coated setups, the fabricated aluminum coating reduced 0.178g and 0.092g of corrosion products accumulation after immersions on H2O2 and NaCl solutions for 7 days and 4 weeks, respectively. Optical analysis of surface and cross sections of the coated samples showed less pitting, and corrosion products. Aluminum coating tends to pit that starts from small cracks and fractures when immersed in corrosive medium. Moreover, scanning electron microscopy showed that the coated nail sample experienced minimal corrosion in the form of thin cracks compared to non-coated nails which had relatively rough surface as result of heavy corrosion. In addition, t-test showed significant difference between the accumulated corrosion products’ weights of coated and non-coated setups after immersing in NaCl (t = -13.801; p = 0.000) and H2O2 (t = -31.005; p = 0.000) wherein less corrosion product was obtained by the coated set-up (x̅ = 0.036 (H2O2) and x̅ = 0.028 (NaCl)). Thus, the results proved that the produced aluminized coating from waste soda cans provides a significant corrosion protection on the steel substrates.
-  Al Saffar, K.A., & Bdeir, L.M.H. (2008). Recycling of Aluminum Beverage Cans. Journal of Engineering and Development, 12(3), 157-163.
-  Aluminum Foundation. (2011). Aluminum: The Element of Sustainability.
-  Antonio, L. C. (2010). Study on Recyclables Collection Trends and Best Practices in the Philippines’, in Kojima, M. (ed.), 3R Policies for Southeast and East Asia. ERIA Research Project Report 2009-10, Jakarta: ERIA.40-70.
-  ASM International. (2000). The Effects and Economic Impact of Corrosion. Corrosion: Understanding the Basics.
-  ASTM A 428/A 428 – 06. (2006). Standard Test Method for Weight [Mass] of Coating on Aluminum-Coated Iron or Steel Articles. ASTM International.
-  ASTM A 463/A 463 – 02. (2002). Standard Specification for Steel Sheet, Aluminum-Coated, by the Hot-Dip Process. ASTM International.
-  ASTM G 31 – 72. (2004). Standard Practice for Laboratory Immersion Corrosion Testing of Metal. ASTM International.
-  ASTM G 46 – 94. (2005). Standard Guide for Examination and Evaluation of Pitting Corrosion. ASTM International.
-  ASTM G 85 – 02. (2011). Standard Practice for Modified Salt Spray (Fog) Testing. ASTM International.
-  ASTM G1 – 90. (1999). Standard Practice for Preparing, Cleaning, and Evaluating Corrosion Test Specimens. ASTM International.
-  Awan, G.H., Ahmed, F., Ali, L., Shuja, M.S., & Hasan, F. (2008). Effects of Coating-thickness on the Formability of Hot Dip Aluminized Steel. Pakistan Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2, 14-21.
-  Bahadur, A., & Mohanty, O.N. (1991). Structural Studies of Hot Dip Aluminized Coatings on Mild Steel. Materials Transactions, 32(11), 1053-1061.
-  BCS, Incorporated. (2005). Advanced Melting Technologies: Energy Saving Concepts and Opportunities for the Metal Casting Industry.
-  Bidin, N., Abdullah, M., Shaharin, M.S., Alwafi, Y.A., Riban, D.G., and Yasin, M. (2013). SEM-EDX analysis of laser surface alloying on aluminum. Journal of Mathematical and Fundamental Sciences, 45(1), 53-60.
-  Chang, Y.Y., Cheng, W.J., and Wang, C.J. (2009). Growth and surface morphology of hot dip Al-Si on 9Cr-1Mo steel. Materials Characterization, 60(2), 144-149.
-  Ding, W., Xia, T., and Zhao, W. (2014). Performance Comparison of Al–Ti Master Alloys with Different Microstructures in Grain Refinement of Commercial Purity Aluminum. Materials, 7(5), 3663-3676.
-  El Maghraby. A.A. (2010). Surface investigations of aluminum in 2M hydrochloric acid solution in the presence of potassium iodate inhibitor. Open Corrosion Journal, 3, 54-57.
-  Ezuber, H., El-Houd, A., and El-Shawesh, F. (2008). A study on the corrosion behavior of aluminum alloys in seawater. Materials & Design, 29(4) 801-805.
-  Global Aluminium Recycling Committee. (2009). Global Aluminium Recycling: A Cornerstone of Sustainable Development. International Aluminium Institute.
-  Hajar, H. M., Zulkifli, F., Mohd Sabri, M. G., & Wan Nik, W.B. (2016). Protection against Corrosion of Aluminum Alloy in Marine Environment by Lawsonia inermis. International Journal of Corrosion Volume 2016, Article ID 4891803, 5 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/4891803
-  Jafarzadeh, K., Shahrabi, S.M.M., Hadavi, M.G., & Hosseini, M.G. (2009). Morphological characterization of AA5083-H321 aluminum alloy corrosion in NaCl solution under hydrodynamic conditions. Anti-Corrosion Methods and Materials, 56(1). 35–42.
-  Koch, G., et al. (2016). International Measures of Prevention, Application, and Economics of Corrosion Technologies Study. NACE International.
-  Lee, H.S., Singh, J.K., Ismail, M., and Bhattacharya, C. (2016). Corrosion resistance properties by arc thermal metal spray in SAE J2334 solution with exposure periods. Metals, 6(55).
-  Maulidin, A., and Kimapong, K. (2015). Effect of sodium chloride on weight loss of AA1100 aluminum alloy and SGACD zinc coated steel lap joint. International Journal of Advanced Culture and Technology, 3(1), 39-45.
-  Meng, J., Dong, X.,, Zhou, H., Liu, W., and Yin, Z. (2017). Investigation of adhesive resistance of aluminum alloy by sandblasting and electrochemical Machining. Micromachines, 8(91).
-  Oguzie, E.E., Li, Y., & Wang, F. H. (2007). Effect of surface nanocrystallization on corrosion and corrosion inhibition of low carbon steel: Synergistic effect of methionine and iodide ion. Electrochimica Acta, 52(24), 6988-6996.
-  Yue, G., Lu, X., Zhu, Y., Zhang, X., and Zhang, S. (2009). Surface morphology, crystal structure and orientation of aluminum coatings electrodeposited on mild steel in ionic liquid. Chemical Engineering Journal, 17, 79-86.
-  Yue, J., & Cao, Y. (2015). Corrosion prevention by applied coatings on aluminum alloys in corrosive environments. International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 10, 5222–5237
Publication order reference