Methyl Alcohol Poisoning
Languages of publication
Methyl alcohol is a cheap and potent adulterant of illicit liquors. Many outbreaks of methyl alcohol poisoning have occurred in our country. Such outbreaks have been responsible for a heavy toll of mortality and morbidity. This paper describes our clinical experience in the management of patients with methyl alcohol poisoning emphasizing that early identification and prompt management is of prime importance in these unfortunate patients. Methanol, also known as wood alcohol, is a commonly used organic solvent that, because of its toxicity, can cause metabolic acidosis, neurologic sequelae, and even death, when ingested. It is a constituent of many commercially available industrial solvents and of poorly adulterated alcoholic beverages. Methanol toxicity remains a common problem in many parts of the developing world, especially among members of lower socioeconomic classes (See Etiology and Pathophysiology and Presentation).
-  Ravichandran RR, Dudani RA, Almeida AF, Chawla KP, Acharya VN. Methyl alcohol Poisoning (Experience of an outbreak in (Bombay). J Postgrad Med 1984, 30, 69-74.
-  Kumar SS, Boopathy KS, Bhaskar ME. Methanol Poisoning – A Chennai Experience. J Assoc Physicians India 2003, 51, 425-426.
-  Shah S, Pandey V, Thakore N, Mehta I. Study of 63 Cases of Methyl Alcohol Poisoning (Hooch Tragedy in Ahmedabad). J Assoc Physicians India 2012, 60, 34-36.
-  Trivedi TH, Yeolekar ME, Shejale SB, et al. Methanol poisoning in medical intensive care unit. J Assoc Physicians India 2001; 49: 257-258.
-  McMartin KE, Ambre JJ, Tephly TR. Methanol poisoning in human subjects; Role of formic acid accumulation in metabolic acidosis. Amer J Med 1980, 68, 414-418.
-  Martin-Amat G, McMartin KE, Hayreh SS, Tephly TR. Methanol poisoning; Ocular toxicity produced by formate. Toxicol and Appl Pharmacol 1978, 45, 201-208.
-  Nicholls P. The effect of Formate on Cytochrome aa3 and on Electron Transport in the Intact Respiratory Chain. Biochim Biophys Acta 1976, 430, 13-29.
-  Rubinstein D, Escott E, Kelly JP. Methonal intoxication with putaminal and white matter necrosis: MR and CT findings. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 1995, 16, 1492-1494.
-  Barceloux DG, Bond GR, Krenzelok EP, et al. American Academy of Clinical Toxicology practice guidelines on the treatment of methanol poisoning. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 2002, 40, 415-446.
-  Ravichandran R, Dudani RA, Almeida AF, Chawla KP, Acharya VN. Methyl alcohol poisoning: experience of an outbreak in Bombay. J Postgrad Med. 1984, 30(2), 69-74.
-  Gujarat Prohibition Act 1949 (adopted from the Bombay Prohibition Act 1949). http://stateexcise.maharashtra.gov.in/BPA_1949/CHAPTER_1.htm. Accessed August 4, 2011
-  Bade L, Sapre D. Methyl alcohol poisoning: medical news. Med Law. 1981, 12, 106-108.
-  Bennett IL Jr., Cary FH, Mitchell GL Jr., Cooper MN. Acute methyl alcohol poisoning: a review based on experiences in an outbreak of 323 cases. Medicine 1953, 32(4), 431-463.
-  Ingemansson SO. Clinical observations on ten cases of methanol poisoning withparticular reference to ocular manifestations. Acta Ophthalmol 1984, 62(1), 15-24.
-  Divekar M, Mamnani K, Tendolkar U, Bilimoria F. Acute methanol poisoning: reporton a recent outbreak in Maharashtra. J Assoc Plats India. 1974, 22, 477-483.
-  Krishnamurthy M, Natarajan A, Shanmugasundaram K, Padmanabhan K, Nityanandan K. Acute methyl alcohol poisoning: a review of an outbreak of 89 cases. J Assoc Physicians India. 1968, 16(10), 801-805.
-  Jacobsen D, Jansen H, Wiik-Larsen E, Bredesen JE, Halvorsen S. Studies on methanol poisoning. Acta Med Scand. 1982, 212(1-2), 5-10.
-  Sodhi PK, Goyal JL, Mehta DK. Methanol-induced optic neuropathy: treatmentwith intravenous high dose steroids. Int J Clin Pract. 2001, 55(9), 599-602.
-  Kute VB, Godara SM, Shah PR, et al. Hemodialysis for methyl alcohol poisoning: a single-center experience. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2012, 23(1), 37-43.
-  Martin-Amat G, McMartin KE, Hayreh SS, Hayreh MS, Tephly TR. Methanol poisoning: ocular toxicity produced by formate. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1978, 45(1), 201-208.
-  McMartin KE, Ambre JJ, Tephly TR. Methanol poisoning in human subjects: rolefor formic acid accumulation in the metabolic acidosis. Am J Med. 1980, 68(3), 414-418.
-  Coulter CV, Farquhar SE, McSherry CM, Isbister GK, Duffull SB. Methanol andethylene glycol acute poisonings: predictors of mortality. Clin Toxicol 2011, 49(10), 900-906.
-  Mahieu P, Hassoun A, Lauwerys R. Predictors of methanol intoxication with unfavourable outcome. Hum Toxicol. 1989, 8(2), 135-137.
-  Sanaei-Zadeh H, Zamani N, Shadnia S. Outcomes of visual disturbances aftermethanol poisoning. Clin Toxicol 2011, 49(2) 102-107.
-  Grant W, Schuman J. Toxicology of the Eye. 4th ed. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas Publisher; 1993.
-  Ekins BR, Rollins DE, Duffy DP, Gregory MC. Standardized treatment of severemethanol poisoning with ethanol and hemodialysis. West J Med. 1985, 142(3), 337-340.
-  Gilbert EH, Lowenstein SR, Koziol-McLain J, Barta DC, Steiner J. Chart reviewsin emergency medicine research: where are the methods? Ann Emerg Med. 1996, 27(3), 305-308.
-  Liu JJ, Daya MR, Carrasquillo O, Kales SN. Prognostic factors in patients withmethanol poisoning. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 1998, 36(3), 175-181.
-  Shah S, Pandey V, Thakore N, Mehta I. Studyof63casesofmethylalcoholpoisoning: hooch tragedy in Ahmedabad. J Assoc Physicians India. 2012, 60, 34-36.
-  Bayliss G. Dialysis in the poisoned patient. Hemodial Int. 2010, 14(2), 158-167.
-  Keyvan-Larijarni H, Tannenberg AM. Methanol intoxication: comparison of peritoneal dialysis and hemodialysis treatment. Arch Intern Med. 1974, 134(2), 293-296.
Publication order reference