The consequences of the restrictions of dubbing and subtitling on the example of the Shark Tale movie
Languages of publication
One of the most popular, easiest to get and absorb, and reaching the largest audiences form of translation is the translation for the needs of mass-media. It is so-called Audiovisual Translation (AVP) which is characterized by the existence of component elements beyond linguistic elements such as: picture, sound and music (Internet0). Audiovisual translation can be divided into “inter-lingual translation, intra-lingual (monolingual) subtitling for the hard-of-hearing and the deaf, audio description for the blind, live subtitling (e.g. news broadcasts), and subtitling for opera and the theatre” (Serban). The most popular and powerful type of AVT is inter-lingual translation which contains such modes as dubbing and subtitling – “as far as cinema translation is concerned, or sometimes a third, minor, mode—voice over—in the case of television translation” (Szarkowska). “The decision as to which film translation mode to choose is by no means arbitrary and stems from several factors, such as historical circumstances, traditions, the technique to which the audience is accustomed, the cost, as well as on the position of both the target and the source cultures in an international context” (Szarkowska). This paper will focus on two out of three modes of inter-lingual translation, namely on dubbing and subtitling.
-  Coehl Leonardo Jordão, Subtitling and Dubbing: Restrictions and Priorities 2006-05-30 (last access): http://www.translationdirectory.com
-  Hassanpour Amir, Dubbing 2006-05-30 (last access), Subtitling 2006-05-30 (last access) http://www.museum.tv
-  Karamitroglou Fotios, A Proposed Set of Subtitling Standards in Europe 2006-05-30 (last access): http://accurapid.com
-  Leonardi Vanessa, Equivalence in Translation: Between Myth and Reality 2006-03-20 (last access): http://accurapid.com
-  Lipiński Krzysztof, 2004. Vademecum tłumacza.
-  Pieńkos Jerzy, 2003. Podstawy przekładoznawstwa. Od teorii do praktyki.
-  Serban Adriana, 2011. Introduction to Audiovisual Translation, Centre for Translation Studies University of Leeds.
-  Szarkowska Agnieszka, The Power of Film Translation 2006-04-03 (last access) http://accurapid.com
-  Tomaszkiewicz Teresa, 2004. Terminologia tłumaczenia.
-  Tomaszkiewicz Teresa, 2006, Przekład audiowizualny.
-  Internet 0: http://www.mareno.pl
-  Internet 1: http://members.datafast.net.au
-  Internet 2: http://www.answers.com
-  Internet 3: http://isg.urv.es
-  Internet 4: http://www.celebritywonder.com
-  Internet 5: http://www.mooviees.com
-  Internet 6: http://en.wikipedia.org
-  Inernet 7: http://www.wikipedia.org
-  Internet 8: http://www.thefreedictionary.com
-  Internet 9: http://www.urbandictionary.com
Publication order reference