Fluoride and environment
Languages of publication
The presence of fluoride in exceeding limits and its related problems of drinking water prevailing in many parts of India is well documented. Fluoride in drinking water is known for both beneficial and detrimental effects on health. Many solutions to these problems were also suggested. Fluoride from water or wastewater can be removed by an ion exchange/adsorption process or by a coagulation, precipitation process. The ion exchange/adsorption can be applied to either concentrated or diluted solutions and they are capable of achieving complete removal under proper conditions. The method suitable for a given situation needs to be judiciously selected considering the various aspects. The paper presents the current information on fluoride in environment and its effects on human health and available methods of defluoridation in detail.
-  Bulusu, K. R., Sundaresan, B. B., Pathak, B. N., Nawlakhe, W. G., Kulkarni, D. N., Thergao nkar, V. P., Fluorides in water, Defluoridation Methods and their limitations. IE(I) Jl.,Vol. 60, October, 1979, pp. 1-25.
-  Smith, F. A., and Hedge, H.C., ‘Fluoride Toxicity’, J C Mnhler and M K Hone (Ed) ‘Fluorine and Dental Health. Indian University Press, Bloomington, 1959.
-  Rammohan Rao, N. V. and Bhaskaran, G. S., Endemic Fluorosis Study of Distribution of Fluoride in Water Sources in the Karnoon District of Andhra Pradesh. Indian Journal of Medical Laboratories, Vol. 52, 1964, p. 182.
-  Bhakuni, T. S., Kumaran, P. and Bhargava, K., Fluorosis in some Parts of Rajasthan. Proceedings of the Symposium, Institute of Engineering. Hyderabad, 1969.
-  Sing, A., Jolly, S. S., Devi, P., Bansal, B. C., and Singh, S .S., Endemic Fluorosis Eiochemical and Chemical Study in the Bhantida, District of Punjab. Indian Journal of Medical Research, Vol. 50, p. 397.
-  Bhakuni, T. S., Studies on Removal of Fluorides from Drinking Water by Different Ion Exchange Materials Developed Indigenously. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Nagpur, 1970.
-  Deslunukh, D. S., Incidence of Fluorides in River Water of Peninsular India’. Procedings of the Symposium on Fluorosis, Hyderabad, 1974, paper 17, p. 155.
-  Ziauddin, M., Endemic Fluorosis in Parts of Dharwar and Raichur districts, Karnataka State. Proceedings of the Syumposium on Fluorosis, Hyderabad, 1974, paper 10, p. 85.
-  Adyalkar, P. G., and Radhakrishna, T. S., On Hot springs of Surguja District, M.P’. Proceedigns of the Symposium on Fluorosis, Hyderabad, 1974, paper 29, p. 297.
-  Viswanandham, C. R. and Murty, B. V. S. R., Fluorides in Ground Waters in Rajasthan and Gujarat’. Proceedings of the Symposium on Fluorosis, Hyderabad, 1974, paper 20.
-  Pathak, B. D., Occurrence of Fluorides in Ground Waters in Uttar Pradesh. Proceedings of the Symposium on Fluorosis, Hyderabad, 1974, paper 25, p. 237.
-  Boruff, C. S., Removal of fluorides from drinking waters, Industrial engineering chemistry, 1934, 26 (1), 69-71.
-  Savinelli, E. A., and Black, A. P., Defluoridation of Water with Activated Alumina. Journal of American Water Works Association, 1958, Vol. 50(1), 33-44.
-  Wu, Y. C., and Nitya, A., Water defluoridation with Activated Alumina. Journal of Environmental Engineering Division, ASCE, 105, EE2, 357, April 1979.
-  Paul L. Bishop and George Sansoucy, Fluoride removal from drinking water by Fluidized activated alumina, AWWA Journal, 1978, Vol. 70, no. 10, pp. 554-558
-  Smith, H. R., and Smith, L. C., Bone contact removes fluorides, Water works engineering, 1937, 90(5), 600.
-  MaC Intire, W. H. and Hammond, J. W., Removal of Fluorides from Natural Water of Calcium Phosphate. Industrial Engineering Chemistry, Vol. 30, p. 100.
-  Smith, H. R and Davey, W. S., Development and use of Bone Filter’. Chemical Abstracts, 1939, Vol. 30, p. 7664.
-  Swope, G. H. and Hess, R. H., Removal of Fluoride from natural Water by Deffuoride. Industrial Engineering Chemistry, 1937, Vol. 29, p. 424.
-  Babovich, R. D., Rendering Water Fluorine Free at the Source of Supply. Chemical Abstracts, 1957, Vol. 51, p. 1840.
-  McKee, R. H. and Johnson, W. S., Removal of Fluorides from Drinking Waters. Industrial Engineering Chemistry, 1934, Vol. 26, p. 848.
-  Venkataraman, K., Bull. Cent. Pub. Hlth. Engg. Res. Instt., 1960, Vol. 2., 77.
-  Srinivasan, T., Removal of Fluorides from Water by Alkali Impregnated Alum Impregnated Paddy Husk Carbon. Central Public health Engineering Research Institute Bulletin, vol 1, 1959, p30.
-  Bhakuni, T. S. and Sharma, N. N., Studies on Defluoridation, Indian Journal of Envi. Health, 1962, Vol. IV, pp. 11-16.
-  Elvolve, E., U S Patent No. 2207725. Chemical Abstracts, July 1940, Vol. 34, 8129.
-  Dean, H.T. and Elvolve, E.. ‘Facts About Fluorides’. Chemical Abstracts, 1938, vol 32, 5119.
-  F. J. Maier. Defluoridation of Municipal Water Supply. Journal of American Water Works Association, 1953, Vol. 35.
-  Venkateswarlu. P. and Rao, N., Removal of Fluorides from Water by Magnesia. Indian Medical laboratories, 1953, Vol. 41, p. 475.
-  Kunin, R and Mc Garvey, F., Fluoride Removal by Strong Base Anion Exchange Resins. Industrial Engineering Chemistry, 1948, Vol. 41, p. 1265.
-  Runaska, W., Kawane, M. and Kajima, T., Removal of Fluoride Ion by Anion Exchange Resin. Chemical Abstracts, 1951, Vol. 45, 5033 and 7725.
-  Robertson, R., Report of the Water Pollution Reserch Board for the Year Ending June, 30 1938. Chemical Abstracts, 1939, Vol. 33, 8340.
-  Benson, R. E., Porth, D. L., and Seency, O. R., The Removal of Fluorides from Water by Ion Exchange’. Chemical Abstracts, 1940, Vol. 30, 6089, Vol. 31, 179, Vol. 32, 2657.
-  Myers, R. J., and Herr, D. S., Removal of Fluoride from Water. Chemical Abstracts, 1945, Vol. 39, 4417.
-  Venkataraman, K., Krishnaswamy, N. and Ramakrishna. Indian Journal of Medical Research, Vol. 39, 1951.
-  Bhakuni, T. S. and Sastry, C. A., Defluoridation of Water using Cation Exchangers Treated with Aluminium Sulphate Solution. Environmental Health, 1964, Vol. 6, p. 246.
-  Xanxin Wang. Fluoride removal from waters using geomaterials, Visiting professor, University of Waterloo, cited in internet in http://www.science.uwaterloo,ca/earth/waton/s9912.html and collected on 9.5.02
-  Zevenbergen, C., van Reeuwijk, L. P., Frapporti, G., Louws, R. J. and Schuiling, R. D., A simple method for defluoridation of water at village level by adsorption on Ando soil in Kenya, Fluoride Journal of International Society for Fluoride Research, 1997, 30(2), p. 128.
-  Agarwal, M., Rai, K., Srivastava, S., Srivastava, M. M., Prakash, S., Shrivastav, R., and Dass, S., Fluoride sorption on clay and clay minerals: An attempt to search for viable Defluoridating agent, Fluoride Journal of International Society for Fluoride Research, 1998, 31(3).
-  Srimurali S., Pragathi A., Karthikeyan J., A study on removal of fluorides from drinking water by adsorption onto low-cost materials. J., Environ. Pollution, 99 (1998) 285.
-  Piekos, R., and Paslawska, S., Fluoride uptake Characteristics of Flyash. Journal of International Society for Fluoride Research, 1999, 32(1), pp. 14-19.
-  Mameri, N., Yeddou A .R., Lounici, H., Belhoucine, D., Grib, H., and Bariou, B., Defluoridation of Septentrional Sahara water of North Africa by Electrocoagulation process using bipolar Aluminum electrodes, Fluoride Journal of International Society for Fluoride Research, 1998, 31(4), p. 227.
-  Tokunaga, Shu., Hakuta, Toshikatsu.,Wasay, Syed, A., Treatement of waters containing hazardous anions using rare-earth based materials, Dep. Chem, Systems, Natl. Inst. Mater. Chem. Res., Japan. Busshistu Kogaku Kogyo Gijutsu Kenkyusho Hokoku, (1999), 7(6), 291-234.
-  Jiao, Zhong-Zhi., Zhang, Yu., Yang, Min., Huang, Xia., Ma, Ke-Min., Removal Fluoride using rare earth based inorganic adsorbent’ State Key lab. of Environmental Aquatic Chem., Res. Center for Eco-Environmental sciences, Chinese academy of sciences, Beijing, Peop. Rep. China, Huanjing Huaxue (2002), 21(4), 365-370.
-  Raichur A. M., and Jyoti Basu M., Adsorption of fluoride onto mixed rare earth oxides. Separation and Purification Technology, (2001), 24, 121-127
-  Sonila Awasti., Gupta, S. K., Awasti, S. K., Sources responsible for increase in fluoride concentration in ground water and its prescribed standards, Indian Journal Environmental Protection, Vol. 22, No. 2, 2002, p. 228.
Publication order reference